Ketogenic Diet

Options
Hi there I was wondering if anyone has tried the ketogenic diet? If so what did you think. I started it yesterday but unsure if I'm having the right amount of protein x

Replies

• MissHamps14
    MissHamps14 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Wow that's amazing well done. I have set mine to 40% protein 50 % fat & 10% carbs.
    Literally not touched a carb unless it's been in vegetables like carrots tomatoes etc.... Just wondering how people have got on. I'm not hungry at all which I thought I would be as I love my stodgy foods x
  • jennameyer22
    jennameyer22 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Have you tried a keto calculator? This one will let you play with it a bit. I've made myself sick from too much protein and not enough fat.

http://keto-calculator.ankerl.com/
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    I have been Keto for 11 months. Started at 165, now I'm 133 and I love it! I even had to reduce my ADHD medication because my newfound mental clarity combined with my medication had me bugging out! Lol
    I don't plan to ever go back to eating carbs.
  • Panda_Poptarts
    Panda_Poptarts Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    Keto newb-ish here! I'm about 3 months in and have dropped a few pounds and a lot of inches. I hang out around 70/20/10. I do net carbs, so my 10% comes out to net about 5%. Anything above 70%F makes me happy!
  • katyplumtree193
    katyplumtree193 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I started keto on the 11th april and as of the 18th I have lost 11lbs, down from 177, I have 10% carbs, 30% protein and 60% fat, thoroughly enjoying it!
  • ErryDayImHustlin
    ErryDayImHustlin Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Ketogenic diets may be slightly more effective than balanced diets in helping morbidly obese people to lose weight (only a few %, and its debated by other studies). The main reason to do it is if you find it easier to stick to long term than a balanced diet. Some people do, some people dont. The same deficit with a balanced diet will result in the same amount of weight loss.

Watch out for carbs in veggies like carrots and tomatoes. They still count! Ideally you want to keep carbs below ~25-30g and of those, they should be from trace sources such as fibrous green veggies. Also make sure to keep fats high. Some people have a tendency to go primarily protein and your body really needs the fats to function on keto. Start at around 65-75%. Look into doing regular refeeds if you are exercising with much intensity, also.

Good luck!
  • dietpillsanddietcoke
    Options
    Transitioning from lchf to keto - hoping to break thru watch the scale & body change
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    Noel_57 wrote: »
    Transitioning from lchf to keto - hoping to break thru watch the scale & body change

whats the difference between the two, please explain?

keto is usually under 50g of carbs a day and low carb can be anything over 50-100. someone will correct me if Im wrong
  • BelleCakes2018
    BelleCakes2018 Posts: 568 Member
    Options

keto is usually under 50g of carbs a day and low carb can be anything over 50-100. someone will correct me if Im wrong

Yep, and then there's optimal Ketosis.. lol which is usually about 5% carbs (20g)
  • ralostaz2000
    ralostaz2000 Posts: 135 Member
    Options

so in keto I'll have less than 50gms of carbs...and what are the best ratios for fats anf proteins?

• BelleCakes2018
    BelleCakes2018 Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    more fat than protein.. not sure what a ratio would be for as much as 50g of carbs though - i'm sure someone else could answer that, but for a strict Keto diet it's 5% carbs 75% fat 25% protein.. so you will probably be somewhere similar... maybe 20% carbs 50% fat and 30% protein - something like that.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options

so in keto I'll have less than 50gms of carbs...and what are the best ratios for fats anf proteins?

Try one of these calculators to help develop a macro plan to get you going.

http://keto-calculator.ankerl.com/
    Or
    http://www.ruled.me/keto-calculator/
  • Desi0619
    Desi0619 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I've been on Keto for just over a month. I started through a health clinic and so far am down 13lbs in 4 weeks. If you starting out make sure you also getting the right vitamins/minerals/electrolytes as well and drinking at least the 64oz of water a day if not more. This is a good site with basic info.

http://www.ketogenic-diet-resource.com/natural-supplements.html
  • Primadonna890
    Primadonna890 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hello fellow ketoer. :) congrats!
  • Conklady
    Conklady Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm new to the ketogenic diet. Any tips to get me into ketosis wold be very helpful. ;)
  • Tara4boys
    Tara4boys Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    Keto newb-ish here! I'm about 3 months in and have dropped a few pounds and a lot of inches. I hang out around 70/20/10. I do net carbs, so my 10% comes out to net about 5%. Anything above 70%F makes me happy!

Ditto

OP. 40% protein is waaaaay too high. Excess protein will be converted to glucose.

LCHF/Keto Group http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    Tara4boys wrote: »

Ditto

OP. 40% protein is waaaaay too high. Excess protein will be converted to glucose.

LCHF/Keto Group http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group

As a general rule, this is true. However, if one is running a vigorous lifting plan (I used to lift six days per week, twice per day on two of those days, while I was tearing through my noob gains phase), their protein needs can be notably higher than your average keto dieter.