Fasted Cardio....yay or nay?

Options
Is doing cardio on an empty stomach good or bad?
e.g- heading to the gym in the AM before breakfast.

Replies

• filovirus76
    filovirus76 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Do whatever works best for you. I go on an empty stomach and never had problems. Others need a few calories in them to put in maximum effort.there is no right or wrong answer.
  • pomegranatecloud
    pomegranatecloud Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Nay. It makes me nauseous.
  • ShodanPrime
    ShodanPrime Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    shainaa99 wrote: »

Big thumbs up from me.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Neither good or bad - it's just a personal preference and how it fits in your day, affects your gym performance etc.

I found it handy when I was doing IF but took a while for me to adapt. It seemed to help my cycling endurance by reducing need to feed on longer rides.

I don't buy into any wonderful "fat shredding" or weight loss benefits from it though.

http://alanaragon.com/myths-under-the-microscope-part-2-false-hopes-for-fasted-cardio.html

• eyyoomia
    eyyoomia Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Well, basic bio says food = energy. Therefore, you will be able to put in more energy when you eat, perfoming better and therefore being able to burn MORE calories. Otherwise, your body could begin to eat your muscles to gain the energy required, resulting in muscle loss as long as fat loss.
    Scientifically, fasted cardio has no extra benefits.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    eyyoomia wrote: »
    Well, basic bio says food = energy. Therefore, you will be able to put in more energy when you eat, perfoming better and therefore being able to burn MORE calories. Otherwise, your body could begin to eat your muscles to gain the energy required, resulting in muscle loss as long as fat loss.
    @eyyoomia
    Nope - you are carrying huge and readily available energy stores in the forms of glycogen and fat.
    Your body doesn't start using muscle for fuel unless you are in prolonged and severe starvation.
  • LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options

Wat
  • Hell_Flower
    Hell_Flower Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Whatever works for you. I prefer fasted cardio. I get nauseous with something in ma belleh.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    I like to run before the sun comes up and do so on an empty stomach. The only time it bothers me is when I run past the Krispy Kreme doughnut place and smell them. I don't eat them anymore but I did in the past.
  • filovirus76
    filovirus76 Posts: 156 Member
    Options

It can take 6-8 hours to digest many foods. That energy you get from eating a bagel right before you work out will come about an hour after your done.

I go to the gym early AM and do not eat before and seem to do fine. I run early afternoon on alternate days and if I don't have a banana an hour before I can tell my energy lags a bit, especially on longer runs.
  • cbtebb
    cbtebb Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I tried to do a PT sesh at 7am without food and when I had to stop for fear of throwing up the instructor said training without food has no benefits to the body, and infant eating before the gym wakes your body up and kick starts your metabolism.
  • 12by311
    12by311 Posts: 1,716 Member
    Options
    TigerTebb wrote: »
    I tried to do a PT sesh at 7am without food and when I had to stop for fear of throwing up the instructor said training without food has no benefits to the body, and infant eating before the gym wakes your body up and kick starts your metabolism.

Your instructor is wrong :/

Your metabolism doesn't stop or fall asleep when you do at night.
  • Jams009
    Jams009 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I do, not because of any metabolism bs, but because I find it more convenient and I feel sluggish if I eat too soon before a workout.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options

Neither good or bad, highly overrated IMO.
  • Jams009
    Jams009 Posts: 345 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options

Wrong. All wrong.

Except fasted cardio not having extra benfits, that's true; it's exactly the same as non fasted cardio.

EDIT: And food=energy. Rest of it is wrong.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options

I'll eat before a long run or cycle exceeding 2 hours.

Other than that, I'm not particularly religious about it either way.

No physiological benefit either way for short sessions of less than 2 hours.
  • sunflowerhippi
    sunflowerhippi Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    good for me. I vomit a lot less on an empty stomach. lol
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    Nope - you are carrying huge and readily available energy stores in the forms of glycogen and fat.
    Your body doesn't start using muscle for fuel unless you are in prolonged and severe starvation.

Not to nitpick, but the process of using muscle for fuel (gluconeogenesis) begins much sooner than you think.

"After an overnight fast, gluconeogenesis accounts for approximately 50%.. of glucose production in healthy subjects."
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8755648

"Previous studies employing a variety of measurement techniques reported that GNG [gluconeogenesis] provided 25–40% of GP [glucose production] after a 10–14 h fast"
    http://jap.physiology.org/content/93/1/233.full
    They go on to say that GNG increases with exercise intensity and duration.

Granted, the amount of muscle burned is negligible for most people, but i don't think it's favorable state for an athlete to train in. But if you're just a regular guy/gal trying to get a "workout" in, do whatever's more convenient. :+1:
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    I love fasted cardio in the mornings. Has helped me burn fat at a really fast rate. I'm not 100% fasted though, I drink a pre-workout, then take some L-Carnitine and Forskolin and CLA before working out. Keeps me from being starving but keeps me from being "full" to the point that I don't want to work out. I do steady state cardio for 30 minutes, then move into HIIT body weight training for another 30 minutes. Then I eat breakfast which is heavy on complex carbs and fiber and protein. Been working great for me. On the weekends I switch it up, eat a healthy breakfast (eggs/more protein/complex carbs) then wait a while to digest then work out. The difference seems to be that it's harder to get started on the weekends after eating but there may be a bit more endurance. So both ways are beneficial I think.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options

Not going to happen from delaying the first meal for a couple of hours.