Replies

• StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    Whoops, sorry. Yep I meant @sunn_lighter
  • StealthHealth
    Options
    @Sunny_Bunny_ Do you get notifications when someone mentions you using the @ symbol?
  • synchkat
    synchkat Posts: 37,368 Member
    Options
    awaite3 wrote: »
    Her dad enrolled her in kumon which originally I agreed to until kindergarten but unfortunately he's kept her in no matter my protests. I can't keep her from going because I cannot cancel an activity he's enrolled her in as per my state parenting guidelines. Kumon is boring I agree but it has to get done now this resentment is bleeding over into her kindergarten homework.

When she comes home from school she's has a snack and relaxes/plays till my husband comes home. Then it's dinner and homework time. It's so frustrating especially when the part time parent uses this kumon as a weapon, he knows the struggles he just doesn't care. The funny part is that's she's very gifted. She's top in her class with reading and math I'm worried she's getting burnt out but no one listens to me not even the courts and lawyers.

As someone said ask the school about her behaviour there. Is she getting homework because she's not getting work done at school? I also think take her for an assessment. she could benefit from talking to a therapist, sounds like you and her father have very strained relations so she might benefit greatly from talking to a third party. My boy sees a therapist to deal with the anxiety thst comes with his adhd. She gives us strategies to help him.

All kids are different, they all learn when they are ready. We all as parents want them to succeed and be the smartest and best so I understand the Kumon. Kids are hard but I suspect there's more here than just a defiant child
  • Ws2016
    Ws2016 Posts: 432 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Focus on the one subject she loves and let her learn the satisfaction of doing something she likes.

A six year old is too young to understand the value of doing things just to get them done. She and you will be fine. My son didn't get serious about homework until he was a junior.

Oh, and keep her off the adhd labels and meds. There are a lot of stages to growing up and learning before you can blame anything on a physical condition. Let her grow at her own pace, not at the average or others expectations or even your own.

I recommend you spend your efforts observing and learning more about how she does things and what motivates her, instead of always trying to motivate her. Then reinforce HER motivation with praise. You are on this site because you are motivated, not because you are being motivated. Your daughter operates in the same way, as we all do.
  • hdatres
    hdatres Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    My daughter was a big handful. I had her on medication for ADHD here to find out my boyfriend at the time was beating her when I wasn't home. He would smack her in the back of the head push her down etc. things that wouldn't leave a mark. Until one day I seen a big Hand print around her upper arm. she was acting out because of the abuse, because she was too young to tell us what was going on, or maybe she just thought it was a normal Way of how adults treat children .Of course I broke up with him and called child protective services. He had a PFA one of her three years. He should've been put in jail. From the abuse she went through it caused psychological problems like cutting herself and wanting to commit to commit suicide, As she got older . People are so quick to say it's ADHD when there could be an under line problem causing the ADHD.
  • StealthHealth
    Options

I don't argue with people on the internet because we both know we're right but I'm a *kitten* amazing parent with two extraordinary kids so suck it

You know what, you're right and I was a dick to post what I did. I'm sorry, it was a glib comment which was of no use to the OP and a dig at you (and JP_909). Nether of you deserved it.

Sorry again.
  • WJS_jeepster
    WJS_jeepster Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    My 6 year old twins have once a week homework. 3 sheets of reading and math. The reason for having homework in kindergarten is to prep for the NIGHTLY homework that will come in first grade. Granted - we're in an extremely high-achieving district heading for their top performing elementary school. Sometimes I get the feeling I'm one of the few parents in the class that actually makes their child do the work (vs the parent doing most of it themselves).

My son just bangs his out with no drama, and I mainly just am nearby to supervise if he has questions.

My daughter the drama queen wails, cries, and throws herself down on the table in frustration. One of the main things that helps is getting her brother away from her. The rule for him is no "helping". If he's not "watching" her, the drama goes way down.

I'm also finding that she's much more tactile. If she has a sheet of scratch paper where she can doodle and re-write the words she's having trouble on it's a real help. She also likes to use fun colors, etc.

Right now, it's just a few minutes extra with her. I do dread the future when we're dealing with this every night.

For what it's worth, I have worse battles with her to get her to brush her teeth. Yikes.

I would talk to the teacher and see if she has any ideas based on watching her work in class. In our case, she did have a few insights that helped with just general behavior.
  • awaite3
    awaite3 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Her father and my husband are different people. Currently we are on a wait list for therapy. Overall her teachers say she does absolutely fine in school it's just the nightly battles we have at home over homework. She's 6 so of course I sit with her and help her it's just hard trying to get her to sit still and focus. Even when she's doing her work she's constantly in motion. It's mainly problems with kumon.
  • yayamom3
    yayamom3 Posts: 939 Member
    Options
    Have you asked to have her tested for the school's gifted program? I am a teacher and mother of gifted students. I've had several students over the years who refused to do homework because they already knew the concepts and viewed it as a waste of their time. I also agree with having her tested for ADHD/ADD.
  • _incogNEATo_
    _incogNEATo_ Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options

I don't argue with people on the internet because we both know we're right but I'm a *kitten* amazing parent with two extraordinary kids so suck it

You know what, you're right and I was a dick to post what I did. I'm sorry, it was a glib comment which was of no use to the OP and a dig at you (and JP_909). Nether of you deserved it.

Sorry again.

Wow, I didn't think apologies were made here at MFP. That is amazing. Great work.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options

Sorry again.

Wow, I didn't think apologies were made here at MFP. That is amazing. Great work.

Rare--but it happens, especially when the poster is big enough to know they're not perfect. Hats off to you, StealthHealth.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    @Sunny_Bunny_ Do you get notifications when someone mentions you using the @ symbol?

Yes.
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    I have an 8 year old who has focus issues. The biggest thing is to have patience and keep teaching them. For my 8 year old, I need to remove all distractions - no tv, no toys, nothing on the table (and that still doesn't always help).

Strangely enough, if I have classical music playing, she focuses better. It seems that the music distracts from other distractions, and yet is, in itself, soothing. (It works for me too).

Getting angry, frustrated, threats, punishment - isn't going to help - only hurt, if your child legitimately has focus issues. Try to stay patient and keep redirecting them back to the task at hand.
  • lesleyloo7879
    lesleyloo7879 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Have you had her dad come to the meetings with the teacher? She is six..... they get burnt out...... I fight with my 6 year old ..... she has homework.... the worse is when she has to write sentences. She is little she still can communicate how frustrated she gets so therapy will be good. Ask your ex to come to a meeting with her teacher.... maybe he needs to be reminded this is about her that little girl and not him. She will be the one who suffers. I have to sit with my kid and it works for her , maybe she could do her homework at Kumon. Good Luck
  • nene9999
    nene9999 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I use to go thru the same thing with my middle child and it took a few yrs cause I didn't know what to do or where to go but when I did speak to the Dr and did testing she was diagnosed with add at age 8 early bed times did help as well case they get up so early for school she's 10 and I still have to send her upstairs at 830 for bed good luck doll it will get better just stay strong
  • Shana67
    Shana67 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I have sent notes attached to the homework back to the teacher to the effect of, "I'm sorry, but my KINDERGARTNER is not going to be spending hours on homework tonight. Instead, after school we (fill in the blank of fun learning type activity)."

As a child gets older, I understand and value the need for homework, but at age 6? There is none.
  • kdtesoriero
    kdtesoriero Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Try giving her small breaks in between... Like okay let's do this page of math and you can go get a glass of water or stretch for a minute or some other little thing. If she can't do a whole page, try one or two problems. Ask her what does she want to start with. If she has three assignments, which would she like to do first. Reward can be in the form of wow, we got through that in 10 minutes (one page of math) that was great, I wonder if tomorrow we can do it in 9 minutes and have a race?
  • kimdawnhayden
    kimdawnhayden Posts: 298 Member
    Options

Sorry again.

I think you are awesome to apologize. Best wishes.