Soft Drinks: Emotional Addiction

Options
So my problem is soda. I cannot stop drinking Coke or Dr. Pepper. I am so addicted to them but I realized it's totally emotional. When I think about NOT drinking one or having one in the morning or with a meal, I feel depressed. Sometimes when I drink them I catch myself thinking that I don't even enjoy the taste. How screwed up is this?

I've tried every trick in the book to quit but nothing works. Anyone else like this?

Replies

• Alidecker
    Alidecker Posts: 1,262 Member
    Options
    I decided on Monday to stop drinking soda. I was drinking Coke Zero for the most part, so it wasn't a calorie issue. I realized that my main issue was I needed to stop my morning habit of stopping at Quick Trip, it wasn't really the soda, just more the routine. This is the best I have done with giving up soda in a long time.

I am going with just start a new habit that is healthier. Luckily I didn't have the issue with wanting the soda with a meal, I want water at that point.
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    That sounds like quite a challenge to overcome. Do you have any idea why you have such a strong attachment to sodas? Do diet sodas make you feel differently? Are you seeking professional help to determine what the underlying cause might be?
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    swanny320 wrote: »

I've tried every trick in the book to quit but nothing works.

What specifically have you tried and what was it about these approaches caused you to abandon them?

• brenn24179
    brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
    Options
    I drink green tea or water with one of those color packs in it. I never think about sodas. As long as it is a tasty drink, I am fine.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    I found cognitive behavioral techniques useful when I wanted to stop abusing alcohol and find them helpful to manage problematic foods as well. What exactly have you tried already?
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,973 Member
    Options
    It may not be totally emotional. I was addicted to Cokes for years but really caffeine was the culprit. I didn't completely quit sodas but I started drinking more Sprite and having coffee in the morning and iced tea in the afternoon if needed. Eventually I got to where I didn't really drink sodas very much at all. I can't really remember the last time I had one. I'm one who tries to fit in the things I really love and not totally restrict any food or drink. For me that just makes me want it more. My advice would be to just gradually cut down. Maybe to just one per day and start replacing the others with something else, fruit infused water or unsweetened tea. If you wean yourself off slowly it will be a lot easier. And when you have your Coke or Dr. Pepper really enjoy it. If it becomes a treat that you know you can have occasionally you might have better luck than just trying to go cold turkey.
  • nineteentwenty
    nineteentwenty Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    So my problem is soda. I cannot stop drinking Coke or Dr. Pepper. I am so addicted to them but I realized it's totally emotional. When I think about NOT drinking one or having one in the morning or with a meal, I feel depressed. Sometimes when I drink them I catch myself thinking that I don't even enjoy the taste. How screwed up is this?

I've tried every trick in the book to quit but nothing works. Anyone else like this?

Dude the best thing for me was to replace soda (and beer) with carbonated flavoured water. la Croix waters are my drug, I have like 4 per day and it's amazing. They don't use fake sugars, real sugars, no calories, and still taste awesome. I realized it was more about having an ice-cold fizzy drink than anything else. now I unwind after work with something healthy instead of something that can screw with my progress.
  • AmandaHugginkiss
    AmandaHugginkiss Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    I drink a ton of La Croix and also diet soda. Unless you're worried about caffeine intake, there's no reason to stop drinking diet soda. Just don't let yourself get in the habit of eating extra food when you do it.
  • swanny320
    swanny320 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    Have you tried diet soda?

Omg, I hate diet...lol. If diet soda was the ONLY one available, I'd have no problem quitting tomorrow!
  • swanny320
    Options
    msf74 wrote: »

I've tried every trick in the book to quit but nothing works.

What specifically have you tried and what was it about these approaches caused you to abandon them?

Cold turkey: The urge is too strong. I cave within a day

Habit replacement: I've tried replacing it with seltzer/soda water. I've tried juice, I've tried water (flavored and not).

Reduction: I've tried limiting my intake to just one a day or even less.

Reward; I've tried setting up a reward system where I can have ONE if I accomplish a certain calorie or workout goal

The thing is, as I mentioned, it's more of an emotional addiction rather than a physical one. It's probably a bit how smokers want a cigarette when they are stressed.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    OP how much soda do you drink, daily or weekly average?
  • swanny320
    Options
    nosajjao wrote: »
    How screwed up is this?

It's pretty screwed up, it's essentially an addictive drug that in design only harms your body.

There aren't any tricks, just quit it cold turkey and deal with the withdrawals until they pass.

It's not a withdrawal issue which is why I said "emotional addiction". I don't suffer from headaches or even cravings for the sugar. For whatever reason, it triggers something that must release dopamine. It's insane, I know...
  • swanny320
    Options
    kgirlhart wrote: »
    It may not be totally emotional. I was addicted to Cokes for years but really caffeine was the culprit. I didn't completely quit sodas but I started drinking more Sprite and having coffee in the morning and iced tea in the afternoon if needed. Eventually I got to where I didn't really drink sodas very much at all. I can't really remember the last time I had one. I'm one who tries to fit in the things I really love and not totally restrict any food or drink. For me that just makes me want it more. My advice would be to just gradually cut down. Maybe to just one per day and start replacing the others with something else, fruit infused water or unsweetened tea. If you wean yourself off slowly it will be a lot easier. And when you have your Coke or Dr. Pepper really enjoy it. If it becomes a treat that you know you can have occasionally you might have better luck than just trying to go cold turkey.

Thanks for the reply. It's just so insane how addicted I am. Smoking and drinking NEVER appealed to me but soda...omg, I feel the way a heroin addict must feel.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    nosajjao wrote: »
    How screwed up is this?

It's pretty screwed up, it's essentially an addictive drug that in design only harms your body.

There aren't any tricks, just quit it cold turkey and deal with the withdrawals until they pass.

No that's not what it essentially is.
  • jami242424
    jami242424 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I'm the same way with diet Dr Pepper. It makes me feel happy. I get sad, anxious & have no energy if I don't have at least 1 per day which is crazy right? I'm so confused on if it's harmful or not, there is so much conflicting info out there.
  • amandaunicorn
    amandaunicorn Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I've had a diet Mt dew addiction for 6 years. I know they're still not good for me but it's not all the calories of a regular soda
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    jami242424 wrote: »
    I'm the same way with diet Dr Pepper. It makes me feel happy. I get sad, anxious & have no energy if I don't have at least 1 per day which is crazy right? I'm so confused on if it's harmful or not, there is so much conflicting info out there.

It's not.
    You're fine.
    Enjoy.