Yay, found a Weightloss shake made with REAL sugar!

Options
13»

Replies

• Sandyloveschampagne
    Sandyloveschampagne Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Shakes for me are an easy fix for dinner instead of messing around in the kitchen and being tempted by cheese or bread. I really like the GNC Total Lean Shakes, they have 25 grams of protein which is very filling and only 2 sugars. It is a 170 calorie meal replacement shake. I pour it into a wine glass to make it a special meal. (yes, I do that) It is really tasty too!
  • Panda_Poptarts
    Panda_Poptarts Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    You could make a healthy protein shake with some good quality protein powder and milk, and "frappe" that in your blender, rather than essentially drinking a cup of liquid sugar. Just a thought.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    You could make a healthy protein shake with some good quality protein powder and milk, and "frappe" that in your blender, rather than essentially drinking a cup of liquid sugar. Just a thought.

I have whey protein powder and some PB2 for just such a purpose. It seems pointless to add sugar to a diet shake. Blend a frozen banana instead.
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    Shakes for me are an easy fix for dinner instead of messing around in the kitchen and being tempted by cheese or bread. I really like the GNC Total Lean Shakes, they have 25 grams of protein which is very filling and only 2 sugars. It is a 170 calorie meal replacement shake. I pour it into a wine glass to make it a special meal. (yes, I do that) It is really tasty too!

These are great, but OP was talking about carnation instant breakfast type things with little to no protein and calling it a "weight loss shake"
  • Bbeliever215
    Bbeliever215 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Op, I know you have found a protein shake to your liking but I would also suggest truenutrition.com. I like their site because you can customize the protein and there are no artificial sugars ( they use stevie but you can purchase unflavored). Most protein is about $12 per pound and comes with scoop to correctly measure for portion control. I use shakes actually for a snack. I usually customize mine with a multi vitamin mix in either mocha or french vanilla and they're pretty tasty.
  • Colorscheme
    Colorscheme Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    thorsmom01 wrote: »
    So I had to come see what all the fuss was about !
    What is this shake ? Could someone post the macros and nutritional info ? I'm just curious because I never tasted it and do like sugar :)

Weirdly enough I used to drink them in high school for a while when I was too lazy to get up in time to make breakfast (I hate cold cereal, so for me making breakfast was cooking eggs or making some oatmeal). I don't remember them being that great, but tasty enough, basically like the way a decent protein powder tastes. (I wouldn't recommend them for a teenager now, of course, and they may not taste the same at all.)

(I didn't lose weight when drinking them, but I wasn't trying to and didn't need to.)

Macros and nutritional nothing to write home about:

130 calories plus whatever is in the milk you mix it with.

5 g protein, 27 g carbs, .5 g fat. Seems to be fortified with various vitamins.

Ingredients:

NONFAT MILK, SUGAR, MALTODEXTRIN, COCOA (PROCESSED WITH ALKALI), LACTOSE, AND LESS THAN 2% OF DICALCIUM PHOSPHATE, MAGNESIUM HYDROXIDE, SODIUM ASCORBATE (VITAMIN C), SOY LECITHIN, CARRAGEENAN, NATURAL AND ARTIFICIAL FLAVOR, FERRIC ORTHOPHOSPHATE (IRON SOURCE), CORNSTARCH, ALPHA TOCOPHERYL ACETATE (VITAMIN E), NIACINAMIDE, SALT, COPPER GLUCONATE, ZINC OXIDE, CALCIUM PANTOTHENATE (PANTOTHENIC ACID), MANGANESE SULFATE, VITAMIN A PALMITATE, PYRIDOXINE HYDROCHLORIDE (VITAMIN B6), THIAMINE MONONITRATE (VITAMIN B1), BIOTIN, VITAMIN K1 (PHYTONADIONE), FOLIC ACID, VITAMIN D3 (CHOLECALCIFEROL), VITAMIN B12 (CYANOCOBALAMIN).

My parents used to make me drink these every single morning because I would refuse to eat breakfast and was a picky eater in general.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    What is this shake ? Could someone post the macros and nutritional info ? I'm just curious because I never tasted it and do like sugar :)

Weirdly enough I used to drink them in high school for a while when I was too lazy to get up in time to make breakfast (I hate cold cereal, so for me making breakfast was cooking eggs or making some oatmeal). I don't remember them being that great, but tasty enough, basically like the way a decent protein powder tastes. (I wouldn't recommend them for a teenager now, of course, and they may not taste the same at all.)

(I didn't lose weight when drinking them, but I wasn't trying to and didn't need to.)

Ingredients:

NONFAT MILK, SUGAR, MALTODEXTRIN, COCOA (PROCESSED WITH ALKALI), LACTOSE, AND LESS THAN 2% OF DICALCIUM PHOSPHATE, MAGNESIUM HYDROXIDE, SODIUM ASCORBATE (VITAMIN C), SOY LECITHIN, CARRAGEENAN, NATURAL AND ARTIFICIAL FLAVOR, FERRIC ORTHOPHOSPHATE (IRON SOURCE), CORNSTARCH, ALPHA TOCOPHERYL ACETATE (VITAMIN E), NIACINAMIDE, SALT, COPPER GLUCONATE, ZINC OXIDE, CALCIUM PANTOTHENATE (PANTOTHENIC ACID), MANGANESE SULFATE, VITAMIN A PALMITATE, PYRIDOXINE HYDROCHLORIDE (VITAMIN B6), THIAMINE MONONITRATE (VITAMIN B1), BIOTIN, VITAMIN K1 (PHYTONADIONE), FOLIC ACID, VITAMIN D3 (CHOLECALCIFEROL), VITAMIN B12 (CYANOCOBALAMIN).

So it's basically a sugary chocolate drink with some vitamins. That wouldn't keep me full for an hour. I will stick to my smoothies. Zero added (or artificial) sugar.

s1g5x60muwng.png
  • aeb09
    aeb09 Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    I find it interesting that there is zero response any time someone has suggested making their own smoothies to the OP.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

Ingredients:

So it's basically a sugary chocolate drink with some vitamins. That wouldn't keep me full for an hour. I will stick to my smoothies. Zero added (or artificial) sugar.

Yeah -- looking at it now I'm kind of shocked by the macros. I guess I didn't have a problem with sugar crashes in high school. ;-)

I'm really into actually cooking and eating breakfast, but I have a new ninja blender so have been playing around with smoothies for pre running (I can't do solid food, seem to be able to do a smoothie) or limited time. My current favorite recipe is Biochem vanilla, coconut milk, a banana (small or half), a pear (same), a small cucumber (not peeled), and as many greens as I can cram in (I've used both spinach and kale). It turns out a beautiful green color, so has solved my issue with smoothies that just don't look pretty.

Loads more sugar/carbs than in my usual breakfast, but a decent amount of protein too, and it kept me satisfied through lunch as well as my eggs and veg. Not much fat, but fat does nothing for me for satiety (I think people are different on this).
  • coonhoundmom50
    coonhoundmom50 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Had the BEST shake for lunch... Carnation Breakfast Essentials powder , dark chocolate flavor, with a small amount(2tbsp, because running out!) of Slimfast Advanced Nutrition powder in creamy chocolate, combined with 8oz. milk, banana, 2tbsp. Jif peanut powder, and 8-10 ice cubes. Awesome! Like your sipping on a banana split! No kidding!!!