Getting OLD & not healing

Options
13»

Replies

• mjwarbeck
    mjwarbeck Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    Just about to turn 44...

Yes, the older you get comes with more issues, but just take it slow. I've dropped 50 pounds and now I'm in the best shape I've been...ever.

Yes, I lifted much lighter weights, did shorter times of cardio....and just built up day after day. In the past I have hurt myself and caused set backs....I don't want this to happen again...
  • fritzmann7
    fritzmann7 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I use to push myself too hard and would eventually quit, whether it was cardio or strength training. Now in my sixties and retired I finally learned to take it easy. I am fortunate to have a rail trail nearby and go for a ride daily (weather permitting). I don't try to kill myself by going as fast as i can for as long as I can. Instead I slowed to a moderate pace and enjoy the ride. Using "Map my Ride" along with MFP, I can "earn" extra calories if I want to eat more or use them to create a deficit to help me reach my goal faster. I found it amazing when I started comparing a twinkie to a five mile ride and deciding if its worth it. Most times its not. Bike riding is also easy on your knees and I found it beneficial in my recovery for my knee replacement.
  • robdowns1300
    robdowns1300 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    dewd2 wrote: »

We know that we can find a "study" to prove any point that we want. The OP stated that she would work too hard, get sore & quit. My point was simply that I followed guidelines found on MFP & that it wasn't that hard & it worked great for me.
  • lizzy_satellite
    lizzy_satellite Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    At 44 the biggies for me are enough protein and enough sleep. I'm a night owl and horrible at getting enough sleep, but the more active I am, the more I need it to function. Lots of walking and a little jogging and a little resistance training have been enough for me to lose the 40lbs I needed to lose in the space of around 8 months, and I've never pushed myself to the point of feeling that I've overdone it horribly - any aches and pains subside within a day or too. You *can* do this without running yourself into the ground!
  • 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    Its real simple. You dont need to exercise strenuously every day. Mix it up - strenuous on a few, light on others, rest and stretching on others, strength training on others. Over 40 your body just doesnt recover as fast. Listen to it. Treat it nice and it will treat you better. Exercise is a supplement for caloric deficit not the main cause of it.
  • Ws2016
    Ws2016 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    You're only as young as your spine.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    When I first read the title, I thought the OP must be in their 80's. As others have said, get the diet in check, build your activity gradually, the aches and pains will start to go away.

Maybe not a bad idea to physical if you haven't had one in a while to identify any possible issues.

Good luck
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Ws2016 wrote: »
    You're only as young as your spine.

An in most cases extra weight and sitting around isn't going to make it younger.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    hill8570 wrote: »
    sllm1 wrote: »
    And eat the PROTEIN.

This might be a factor. Stopped eating animals about a year ago. Used to love em but now it tastes gross. My protein grams went from 100+ per day to maybe 30.

Uh, yeah, huge factor. It's way harder to get a balance of amino acids on a veggie-only diet...do-able, but you gotta actually plan things a bit. And 30g, even of animal protein, probably isn't enough even for maintenance. And I suspect you're not getting enough fat in your diet, either. No surprise you're body is falling apart with that kind of abuse. Are you pure vegetarian, ovo-lacto, or some variation thereof?

Just don't like how non-plant foods taste, smell, and sit in my gut.
    Progressed from omnivore to vegan incrementally. But knew I needed more than carbs so added back in some cheese & yogurt as that's least objectionable to me.
    Starting to use whey protein a bit too. Don't like eggs anymore, but can tolerate if hidden in something sugary like cookies!

How much legumes/seitan are you eating? My healthy vegan friends make legumes the base of their diet. When the Kripalu Center for Yoga & Health was vegetarian, legumes were an option at every meal and seitan a frequent option.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    I eat myself fat because I like food & being lazy. Then my clothes stop fitting and I can't walk up a set of stairs without getting winded. I get sick of feeling like crap so I exercise hard and often to get back in shape. Everything is great until i rediscover chocolate and the couch.
    Repeat above cycle ad nauseum.
    This has been my life for 40+ years.
    Sure, going from flab to fit is hard. Injuries are nothing new: bruises, scrapes, blisters, sprains, strains, fractures, toenails falling off, whatever- just work through & it'll heal.
    Except now it doesn't! My knees always ache and swell. My ankles roll and the tendons slip. My hips pop out of joint. My heels feel like stabbing hellfire. My shoulders freeze up. My back is stiff ALL THE TIME. My freakin thumbs suddenly & painfully pop out of joint so I drop stuff- WTF?

Anyone else out there faced with the realization your body is wearing out? How do you lose weight and get in shape without strenuous activity every day?

At 49, I am five years older than you. Last year, I eased myself back into exercise. I started with walking 20 minutes or so am now up to 68 minutes that includes some nice hills. When I started lifting weights again last fall, I was a little sore, but not excruciatingly so.

I started practicing yoga 20 years ago and am pretty good about tuning in to my body. A yogic principle is ahimsa - nonviolence/cause no harm. I applaud ethical vegans who wish to cause no harm to animals. In my yoga classes, we were also encouraged to cause no harm to ourselves.
  • ShodanPrime
    ShodanPrime Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    And eat the PROTEIN.

This might be a factor. Stopped eating animals about a year ago. Used to love em but now it tastes gross. My protein grams went from 100+ per day to maybe 30.

Uh, yeah, huge factor. It's way harder to get a balance of amino acids on a veggie-only diet...do-able, but you gotta actually plan things a bit. And 30g, even of animal protein, probably isn't enough even for maintenance. And I suspect you're not getting enough fat in your diet, either. No surprise you're body is falling apart with that kind of abuse. Are you pure vegetarian, ovo-lacto, or some variation thereof?

Just an aside, as I've always curious... Does lacto-ovo really count? Or the ones who eat fish? Just seems like a different approach to being omni.

From a nutritional standpoint, ovo-lacto or ovo-lacto + fish will get you a good balance of aminos. That's why I asked... "don't eat animals" is kind of vague as to what the OP will eat.

I meant don't count vis a vis vegetarian label. Just a curiosity, nothing major. :)
  • ArmyofAdrian
    ArmyofAdrian Posts: 177 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    And eat the PROTEIN.

Try about 1 gram of protein and 0.5-0.8 grams of fat per pound of lean body mass. I'm 45 and recover pretty well lifting heavy (heavy for me anyway 5 sets 5 reps) My thumbs are staying in place at least. Don't get me wrong though I have my aches and pains as well. I use udo's oil or peanut butter as fat supplements when i need to.