Options
13»

Replies

• MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options
    nosajjao wrote: »
    MommyL2015 wrote: »
    None of what he stated is even in the same ballpark as truth.

"Soda is bad" as a claim is apparently offensive enough to be flagged for abuse.

Some people cling to their vices with a death grip, and will defend their habits violently regardless of other ideas being presented to them. It's a deeper sign of intolerance, but generally I find it sad when people are so close-minded that new ideas sound like fighting words to them. I'm not offended when someone claims diet soda is good for you, it offers me an opportunity for a conversation, whether the outcome is us both agreeing to disagree or not. The difference is the right evidence might change my mind, whereas other people refuse to allow their minds to be changed, and they'll be offended at the idea you're trying to change their mind.

Well, if you have some new evidence that could change my mind, I'd like to see it. Please. And I am not defending anything but facts, that's all, and the post you quoted didn't contain any. I don't care what people eat or drink or don't, but the whole "diet soda/artificial sweeteners are evil" argument is old. If it was a dead horse, all that would be left is an unrecognizable dried up pile of broken bones.
  • rabblescum
    rabblescum Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I was a hard core pop drinker most of my life. I carried cases of cans in my car. Every picture of me for years has a Pepsi or Sunkist can in it. It took about 3 months before I stopped wanting to snatch the fountain drink from the person the next table over in resturants. It has been a couple years since I stopped drinking it daily and I don't crave it anymore. I will have one over once in a while, usually a ginger ale when sick and after about 4 ounces it is too sweet.
    Stick with it, it won't always be like this. it really is like a drug for some people.
  • runningforthetrain
    runningforthetrain Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    I have coke only occasionally for a treat and build in it my calories. Once a week would be good; then you don't have to deny yourself- you know you will have one eventually. I also make a coke or other carbonated beverages last longer by adding carbonated soda water-- Bang -- regular coke is now an extra big :) Everyone is different; as noted above- some people just can't have one. I can't stand diet sodas either- yuk.
  • Erik8484
    Erik8484 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    sc487 wrote: »
    I appreciate all the feedback. To touch on a couple points mentioned. I can't stand the taste of artificial sweeteners, I'll skip completely before drinking diet. Second. The difference between apple juice and soda is I will drink 8 oz of apple juice and be ok. Beats the big gulp coke I would have gotten. And if I take one, I'll take one more, then one more, then 15 more....

The good news is, the craving has passed, I drank my gallon+ of water today and I'm doing pretty good

I'm with you, I can't/couldn't stand diet coke either. I quit soda cold turkey in 2010 or so, and was pretty irritable (and hungry!) for a few weeks after that, then it passed. These days I drink 1 can per week or so, either when I'm at the cinema or when I'm eating something that calls for it. I'm pretty happy that I don't drink 3-4 cans a day anymore.
  • sc487
    sc487 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    To the last 3 people who posted (and others throughout) thank you for your encouragement. Also thank you for not getting involved in the petty coke/Diet Coke silliness that clearly has nothing to do with my post and should have been fought under nutrition not motivation. I have since come up with a solution that serves me quite well

Take a lemon, squeeze it into a pitcher, toss in the lemon, add ice & water then enjoy. Problem solved :smile:
  • ReaderGirl3
    ReaderGirl3 Posts: 868 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Suggesting that you switch to "diet" coke is like a meth head suggesting you switch to "diet meth". Soda is one of the most destructive addictive junk food products out there, and should be treated the same as quitting cigarettes. You just need to put more time in from when you quit. Tea, coffee, and water; everything else is packed with excessive refined sugars. With enough time away from it, you won't even crave it anymore.

This is just wrong. I switched from regular coke to diet coke when I started losing weight, back in 2012. I then proceeded to lose over 50lbs, improve all my health markers (including getting a high glucose down into the 80s, which is in the normal range), and on top of all of that, I've been maintaining the loss and good health for 3 years now. I drink 3-4 cans of diet soda every single day. I'm in excellent health and I have a current bmi of 20.7.
  • ReaderGirl3
    edited April 2016
    Options
    All soda is bad. High Fructose Corn Syrup causes rapid weight gain and impacts your cognitive ability - just google it and read some of the studies it's pretty scary. Diet soda is deceiving since it has no calories but since your body can't metabolize it, you end up storing more fat. Recent studies show that diet sodas and artificial "zero calorie" sweeteners actually cause you to GAIN MORE WEIGHT! http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2014/12/23/artificial-sweeteners-confuse-body.aspx

The misinformation in this thread is ridiculous. Diet soda does NOT cause fat storage. It's ZERO calories. You cannot gain weight from something that has no calories. Are you even reading what you typed?

I drink diet soda every single day. Not only have I lost over 50lbs and have been maintaining the loss for 3 years now, but ALL of my health markers have improved. I'm no longer labeled a pre-diabetic. My cholesterol numbers are great (I have my last results posted in my profile-feel free to check them out and tell me where I'm horribly unhealthy, snort). I have good blood pressure. I'm not on any medications. I don't have any health issues. I sleep well, and the list goes on. I've also talked to my MD doctor about diet soda and she has no problems with me drinking it. She has my chart and sees where I'm at. I drink diet soda because I enjoy the taste of it. It has had absolutely no negative impact on my weight loss, weight maintenance, or health.

eta: I also eat foods with high fructose corn syrup. Again, no issues with my weight and my cognitive ability is just fine, sheesh.
  • chrislee1628
    chrislee1628 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    do a search for cleaning coins with coke....

when you see what it can do to a rusty coin, think what it is doing to your insides....
  • ReaderGirl3
    edited April 2016
    Options
    wytey wrote: »

when you see what it can do to a rusty coin, think what it is doing to your insides....

Do you have any idea what our stomach acids can do? Stomach acid has a PH level that puts it in the same category as battery acid.

"acidic drinks are not dangerous because the stomach already has an acidic environment. The stomach has specialized cells that produce hydrochloric acid, which has a pH of 2.0. This acid is stronger than the phosphoric acid or carbonic acid found in cola products."
    http://www.ask.com/science/ph-level-coke-3faa419307c54460

I've been drinking soda in one form or another since I was a kid (so over 30 years). I have no stomach or health issues at all.

• MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options
    wytey wrote: »

Dude, have you seen what water did to the Grand Canyon? When you see what water can do to solid rock....
  • ktekc
    ktekc Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    I cant stand diet coke but love coke zero. Very different taste. Zero tastes more like regular coke. Zero vanilla or cherry are my "snacks" at night if i'm out of calories and want something sweet.
  • pangy1958
    pangy1958 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I gave up coke not due to the sweeteners/sugar but because of the caffeine as I suffered terrible migraines. I have also given up tea and coffee. It was hard at first due to withdrawal systems but haven't had a drink of it for about 3 years. Even after all that time I sometimes crave a coke but resist and have water instead.
  • lesleyloo7879
    lesleyloo7879 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    why give it up? Just curious.

1 cup of apple juice has 113 calories 1 cup of coke...96 calories.

Tea has caffeine...for 12oz it has 37.4 mg 12oz of coke...34
    apple juice has 24 grams of sugar per cup...coke 1 cup has 12 grams

hmmm...

If he was only having one can of Soda ..... Like you said it is telling yourself no and you are an adult and you are applying adulting to your choices ...... Everyone manages their vices in a different way .

sc487 wrote: »
    I appreciate all the feedback. To touch on a couple points mentioned. I can't stand the taste of artificial sweeteners, I'll skip completely before drinking diet. Second. The difference between apple juice and soda is I will drink 8 oz of apple juice and be ok. Beats the big gulp coke I would have gotten. And if I take one, I'll take one more, then one more, then 15 more....

The good news is, the craving has passed, I drank my gallon+ of water today and I'm doing pretty good

He is not there yet ..... he is making progress though ! Good for him
  • skyturk
    skyturk Posts: 1 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I have been off soda for years. Drinking soda is one of the worst things you can do for yourself. There is no nutritional value which unfortunately can be said for a lot of our favorites. If you want to make sure you stay off soda, simply google "hazards of soda" and you may never drink the stuff again! If you were trapped on a desert island a six pack may keep you alive for a few extra days and it does a great job of cleaning toilets but other than that, there are no benefits. You shouldn't drink or eat anything that can strip the paint off of your car if it gets spilled.Pour a can on your car see what happens... just kidding don't do that it strips the paint off, you can google examples you don't need to see that first hand. Drink a lot of water and wait out the cravings. You will be glad you did.
  • ReaderGirl3
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Jruzer wrote: »
    This is just wrong. I switched from regular coke to diet coke when I started losing weight, back in 2012. I then proceeded to lose over 50lbs, improve all my health markers (including getting a high glucose down into the 80s, which is in the normal range), and on top of all of that, I've been maintaining the loss and good health for 3 years now. I drink 3-4 cans of diet soda every single day. I'm in excellent health and I have a current bmi of 20.7.

You lost weight in spite of drinking soda, not because of it. Implying that soda is a dietary aid reinforces to the misinformed that you should drink it, when actually no one needs it, it lacks any nutrients. Regardless of any claims of it's harmfulness, it is 100% clear and accurate that it is an unnecessary beverage, no one needs it in their intake. Singing praises of results while still drinking soda to someone who otherwise isn't addicted is completely insane. If you want to be healthy with your body processes, you shouldn't drink soda. If you simply cannot bear living without it, that speaks more to a crippling addiction that you should seek treatment for. If your standards for health are lower, then it doesn't really matter what you choose to do then does it?

So the only reason to eat or drink something is that it is "necessary"? One shouldn't eat or drink something for enjoyment or for comfort?

That is a ridiculous premise. Very few things are necessary. You don't need bread, or coffee, or meat, or apples, or central heat, or television, or a bed, or an education.

I'm not an ascetic - I choose to consume things for pleasure sometimes. "What is not compulsory is forbidden" is a rule for slaves, not free men and women.

There's just no point. This poster demonizes all sorts of foods, including claiming that bananas make your bum fat :p And they've also admitted to being a lifelong binge eater/having an ED. Sooo moving right along here!

OP sorry things got a bit off topic, hope you've found a solution that works for you!
  • ReaderGirl3
    Options
    skyturk wrote: »
    I have been off soda for years. Drinking soda is one of the worst things you can do for yourself. There is no nutritional value which unfortunately can be said for a lot of our favorites. If you want to make sure you stay off soda, simply google "hazards of soda" and you may never drink the stuff again! If you were trapped on a desert island a six pack may keep you alive for a few extra days and it does a great job of cleaning toilets but other than that, there are no benefits. You shouldn't drink or eat anything that can strip the paint off of your car if it gets spilled.Pour a can on your car see what happens... just kidding don't do that it strips the paint off, you can google examples you don't need to see that first hand. Drink a lot of water and wait out the cravings. You will be glad you did.

Oh gah, not another one?!

I give up :p
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    Jruzer wrote: »

You lost weight in spite of drinking soda, not because of it. Implying that soda is a dietary aid reinforces to the misinformed that you should drink it, when actually no one needs it, it lacks any nutrients. Regardless of any claims of it's harmfulness, it is 100% clear and accurate that it is an unnecessary beverage, no one needs it in their intake. Singing praises of results while still drinking soda to someone who otherwise isn't addicted is completely insane. If you want to be healthy with your body processes, you shouldn't drink soda. If you simply cannot bear living without it, that speaks more to a crippling addiction that you should seek treatment for. If your standards for health are lower, then it doesn't really matter what you choose to do then does it?

So the only reason to eat or drink something is that it is "necessary"? One shouldn't eat or drink something for enjoyment or for comfort?

That is a ridiculous premise. Very few things are necessary. You don't need bread, or coffee, or meat, or apples, or central heat, or television, or a bed, or an education.

I'm not an ascetic - I choose to consume things for pleasure sometimes. "What is not compulsory is forbidden" is a rule for slaves, not free men and women.

There's just no point. This poster demonizes all sorts of foods, including claiming that bananas make your bum fat :p And they've also admitted to being a lifelong binge eater/having an ED. Sooo moving right along here!

OP sorry things got a bit off topic, hope you've found a solution that works for you!

I know where you're coming from. I posted this with lurkers in mind. No doubt it'll sink into obscurity. :D
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    skyturk wrote: »

Oh gah, not another one?!

I give up :p

But if it's on the internet is must be true...........:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
  • TamaraBrown86
    TamaraBrown86 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Just curious what you crave about the Coke? Is it the taste? The sweetness? Maybe the carbonation? If it's the carbonation, that is what I always craved. If I feel like a soda, I have carbonated water with bit of lime in it. I absolutely love it! Don't miss regular pop at all.