13 yrs old Girl diet??!

Options
ralostaz2000
ralostaz2000 Posts: 135 Member
Hi...my daughter is 13 years old and she is above her ideal weight...
Can I let her follow a calorie specific diet ? And if yes...what are tge best calories that fits a 13 yrs girl and what r the correct ratios to follow her up.
She can play HIIT treadmill 3 times a week and u know a school girl how they move and go.

Replies

• HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    It'd be better to speak to a doctor about it rather than the internet, as mentioned.

That said, I don't think it's best to put any child on a diet. Teach her about food, how to cook healthily, nutritious food. About what different foods provide you (energy, flavour, nutrients etc) and how certain foods don't compare (you may feel sluggish, or hungry again not long after) Introduce new things.

Get her involved in exercise (sounds as though she is already) Find something she enjoys, show her how fun it can be. Don't make it about burning calories. I've seen friends when I was growing up be put on diets, by a doctor even, it didn't do anything and only made them self conscious about their weight.

People have enough pressure on them when they get older, by all means don't let it get out of control and speak to a Dr if you're concerned but you're only a child for a short length of time and they learn so much, literally their minds soak up tonnes (including the negative things) that sets them up for years to come. Let it be something positive they learn, the things they're good at, the things they can do. Not the things that are "bad", what they can't do.

• emmadonaldson95
    emmadonaldson95 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Hi...my daughter is 13 years old and she is above her ideal weight...
    Can I let her follow a calorie specific diet ? And if yes...what are tge best calories that fits a 13 yrs girl and what r the correct ratios to follow her up.
    She can play HIIT treadmill 3 times a week and u know a school girl how they move and go.

I would say talk to your doctor and your daughter about the best way to progress.
    I would assume you're still largely in control of her food intake so I'd suggest you try to make some healthy choices for her by cooking healthier options.
    The thing is while 13 is young it's old enough that she needs to want to do it or it isnt going to happen.
    At 13 it isnt really about the weight it's about the health so use your position as the parents to make healthy choices e.g. dont have crisps or snacks in the house and therefore they arent available and get the whole family involved in a walk or cycle ride at weekends to boost activity without making her feel singled out.
  • ralostaz2000
    ralostaz2000 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Thank u all alot for all these helpful advises...u all really releived my heart..I was so worried that this thing will get out if control..but as most of u said...I am not bringing anymore snacks to the house...I limited starchy and fatty food to sone extent...and i stopped mentioning weight issues in the house...
    So..sooner or later..she will learn how to take care of her diet and body...and its gonna be something from the past...because neither I nor her father have a obesity history and if we sometimes get alittle bit off track...we are back to our ideal weights after sometime.
    Hopefully she will get rid of these extra kilos and be a slim beautiful girl
  • myheartsabattleground
    myheartsabattleground Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    sparkteens.com
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »
    Thank u all alot for all these helpful advises...u all really releived my heart..I was so worried that this thing will get out if control..but as most of u said...I am not bringing anymore snacks to the house...I limited starchy and fatty food to sone extent...and i stopped mentioning weight issues in the house...
    So..sooner or later..she will learn how to take care of her diet and body...and its gonna be something from the past...because neither I nor her father have a obesity history and if we sometimes get alittle bit off track...we are back to our ideal weights after sometime.

She should be beautiful to you whether or not she is slim. Also slim=/= beautiful.

I can't like and awesome this simultaneously apparently, but if I could I would.

I will
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options

For some reason that last comment there really doesn't sit well with me. I mean, maybe I could see if you had said a healthy young lady, but equating slim with beauty in regards to your child sounds absolutely horrible. She does not have to be whatever you seem to think slim is to be beautiful. Being active and mindful of food choices is what you should be hoping for as a parent, because it's that mindframe that will set your daughter up for a life that doesn't include an unhealthy relationship with her body or food. As others have said she is at a point in her life where she is vulnerable, and what she learns now at 13 is what she will embrace - and if it's shady AF she'll struggle later in life to change it (you know, like I am in my mid 30's).

Well said!

Your child should always be beautiful to you, and do not doubt it when I say if you think otherwise they pick up on it!

Beauty is not a size. Health, fitness, energy, enjoyment...those are what you should be encouraging a child towards, and the rest will follow. Please don't make it about looks, they have enough pressure there as it is.