My resting heart rate.

Options

Replies

• Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    LushFix wrote: »
    What is the actual *normal average* HR?

A normal resting heart rate for adults ranges from 60 to 100 beats a minute. Generally, a lower heart rate at rest implies more efficient heart function and better cardiovascular fitness. For example, a well-trained athlete might have a normal resting heart rate closer to 40 beats a minute.

Heart rate: What's normal? - Mayo Clinic
    www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/.../heart.../faq-20057979Mayo Clinic

The best way to determine the resting HR is to take it in the morning while still in bed and before drinking coffee or tea. Even walking to the bathroom or the kitchen can slightly increase the rate.
  • TK6299
    TK6299 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    47 sitting here drinking coffee, lol.
  • mlssdl
    mlssdl Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Mine is usually in the high 80's. It'd be lower if I let off the vape. (Which I'm finally cutting down to zeros times a day starting tomorrow.) I know my blood pressure is much better since I got back into jogging. It was fine before, but the upper end of high. Now it's about mid-range.
  • LushFix
    LushFix Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I Also vape I have gone from 21mg to 3mg. But still haven't been able to give it all up. So I'm assuming that's why mine is 69 average.
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Mid 50's, down from upper 70's 4 months ago. :)
  • MsBuzzkillington
    MsBuzzkillington Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    When is low too low? 40s seems really low. What's the difference between an athlete with a HR of 44 and someone who is anorexic? I mean, in one scenario doctors are very concerned. It just seems really low. Is lower much better? When is it concerning and when is it really healthy? I've asked the same question different ways I guess. I am just curious about things.

There was a time many many years ago when the dieting and exercise thing got a bit out of control on accident and I spent a night in the hospital. My HR went down to 32 while sleeping and the doctor freaked out.
  • ROBOTFOOD
    ROBOTFOOD Posts: 5,527 Member
    Options
    When is low too low? 40s seems really low. What's the difference between an athlete with a HR of 44 and someone who is anorexic? I mean, in one scenario doctors are very concerned. It just seems really low. Is lower much better? When is it concerning and when is it really healthy? I've asked the same question different ways I guess. I am just curious about things.

There was a time many many years ago when the dieting and exercise thing got a bit out of control on accident and I spent a night in the hospital. My HR went down to 32 while sleeping and the doctor freaked out.

There's elite endurance athletes with HR in the 20s.
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options

It depends on why it's low, and what your other cardiac parameters are. In general, an athlete's heart rate slows in response to the heart being stronger and moving more blood per beat (greater stroke volume). Essentially, their heart is strong enough that it can move the necessary amount of blood in fewer beats, so even though the heart rate is low, their blood flow is normal. Their heart rate also still rises with exercise, something not seen in all types of bradycardia.

In someone sedentary, a low heart rate would be coupled with a normal stroke volume, since their heart is not particularly strong, and result in an low cardiac output. That low cardiac output can cause medical problems including loss of consciousness. Low heart rate, particularly low heart rate that doesn't increase much on exertion, is often due to a heart problem.
  • chrisfwood
    chrisfwood Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    rankinsect wrote: »
    In someone sedentary, a low heart rate would be coupled with a normal stroke volume, since their heart is not particularly strong, and result in an low cardiac output. That low cardiac output can cause medical problems including loss of consciousness. Low heart rate, particularly low heart rate that doesn't increase much on exertion, is often due to a heart problem.

This is why my dad now has a pacemaker, I think it basically was when he tried to more his heart didn't speed up so he lost consciousness. I know my Garmin does not read constantly and is not a medical device but I have seen it read 37 and tells me I average 45 over 7 days, although when I move it will raise quickly.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    48 - 50
    Always used to regard 60 as very fit for me - then in my fifties I got more serious about cycling...
  • palmettolady1984
    palmettolady1984 Posts: 9 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    After reading all the replies I think my heart is going to explode! My resting heart rate is 92! When I exercise it gets up to 170. Maybe I should schedule an EKG?!
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    Usually around 55-60. I once got 49 and felt proud of my efficient heart all day.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    Does anyone know if you have a lower resting HR and lower HR in general if it means you burn less calories doing the same exercise as someone who has higher HR? I mean physically you would think the same, but everyone seems to always assume higher HR = higher calories
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    Mine was about 78 before I lost weight and began exercising.
    For the past year it is between 48 and 52
  • 6pkdreamer
    6pkdreamer Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Interesting but the drop in HR in one minute from exercise is more important than resting HR.
  • trina1049
    trina1049 Posts: 593 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I'm averaging around 56 - 58 since losing weight and exercising more frequently. I guess that's pretty good since I'm 66 years old.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Does anyone know if you have a lower resting HR and lower HR in general if it means you burn less calories doing the same exercise as someone who has higher HR? I mean physically you would think the same, but everyone seems to always assume higher HR = higher calories
    @Noreenmarie1234
    Nope. Most likely is that someone with a lower HR has a greater heart pumping efficiency or stroke volume. Moving the same amount of blood with fewer beats in other words.

HR is used as a proxy for oxygen uptake during aerobic exercise but it's impractical for most people to exercise hooked up to breathing apparatus analysing their gas exchange!
    It's one of the many limitations of using HRMs to estimate calorie burns - you may get an average but the outliers (both ways, very fit and unfit) will be way off the average.

Extreme example - I was on a power meter equipped bike trainer putting out 200 watts of power at 150bpm.
    An exceptional cyclist next to me was putting out about 20% more power (hence 20% more calories) than I was but at only 130bpm. That would badly confuse a HRM.
  • chrisfwood
    chrisfwood Posts: 37 Member
    Options

Physics says it will always be the same calories you are doing work moving a mass from a to b you might be more inefficient i.e. produce more heat. The issues the zones your body is working in Z2 burns more fat than say Z5 if you are unfit your heart / body will be working in Z4 and Z5 i.e. burning carbs not fat, if you keep to Z2 then you burn more fat. Z1 is 50-60 of your max, 60-70 is Z2, 70-80 is Z3, 80-90 Z4 and 90-100% is Z5 now that is the simple method say you have a max of 180 and you RHR is 110 you will not be in Z2 at rest.