EATING WAY TOO FEW CALORIES- WHAT TO DO?

Options
2»

Replies

• carolinefaith
    carolinefaith Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    YES :)

follow this plan :
    (around 1200 calories per day)

2 servings of protein
    4 servings of veggies
    3 servings of fruits
    2 servings of starches
    1 Fat (light land o lakes butter)
    +protein bar if not enough calories are eaten

ALSO, try eating Chobani Greek Yogurt- It is about 160 calories but has 15g of protein! It is so good and not too filling so if you need the calories and protein but aren't hungry, it is a great option.

If you would like a more detailed list of what to eat I will send it to you.

Get a notebook and write this each day and cross each off as you go! it will help you figure out what you have eaten and what you have left to eat:

P P V V V V F F F S S F
  • meldaniel
    meldaniel Posts: 111
    Options
    Caroline is right...you would lose more weight and have a "prettier" result by going up to 1200. At one point in time in my 20s I calorie restricted to about 500 cals a day. Yes, I lost weight but it caused some really bad side effects and I gained it all back when I started eating again. I know you think that won't happen but it does! WORSE YET..when you starve you lose muscle along with all that fat. When you finally eat again (and you will...no one can live forever like that) you will find the weight is different....more cellulite, squishy and looks alot worse than before. Fix your body on the inside AND out! That is the only way!!! There are lots of wonderful, healthy and low cal foods to enjoy that will help you lose all the weight you want. Best of luck to you! :)
  • carolinefaith
    carolinefaith Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Caroline is right...you would lose more weight and have a "prettier" result by going up to 1200. At one point in time in my 20s I calorie restricted to about 500 cals a day. Yes, I lost weight but it caused some really bad side effects and I gained it all back when I started eating again. I know you think that won't happen but it does! WORSE YET..when you starve you lose muscle along with all that fat. When you finally eat again (and you will...no one can live forever like that) you will find the weight is different....more cellulite, squishy and looks alot worse than before. Fix your body on the inside AND out! That is the only way!!! There are lots of wonderful, healthy and low cal foods to enjoy that will help you lose all the weight you want. Best of luck to you! :)
  • kje2011
    kje2011 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    Chronic lack of appetite can be a signal of severely decreased metabolism. A couple of threads that may help:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/175241-a-personal-view-on-exercise-cals-and-underfeeding

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/231636-the-eating-when-you-re-not-hungry-dilemma

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/186814-some-mfp-basics

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/230930-starvation-mode-how-it-works

As for how to increase cals in a healthy way:

Planning is key. Focus on balanced macros (protein/fat/carbs) in each meal/snack. Start with making sure to eat at least 3 meals a day. Breakfast is important when you're trying to overcome a habit of irregular eating or underfeeding. Once you've adjusted to that, add in snacks. Then, gradually increase the amount of cals in each meal/snack. Just 50 cals more for each meal/snack adds up. If you know you'll be working out, increase cals throughout the day.

If you're not feeling hungry, a good way to increase cals without much volume is healthy fats from natural oils (olive/canola), nuts and nut butters (almonds, pistachios, walnuts), and avocados. Also, I would stay away from "low cal" or "low fat" options. Partly because you want to increase cals, and partly because those foods are usually processed and not nutrient dense, and the cals or fat they take out is replaced by sugar (real or substitute) and sodium - not a good trade off. A fruit smoothie, protein shake or chocolate milk are good cal boosters, because drinking cals can be easier than eating when you aren't feeling hungry.

Typically, it may be hard for a few days or a week, but your body will adjust to the increased intake and you'll find it isn't an issue for long. Eating more will truly help your metabolism, and your appetite will increase with it.
    bump
  • Babydollnikki
    Options
    Edited by moderator

Encouraging someone to continue eating a dangerously low volume of food is just unconscionable. First off vitamins are not a healthy way to get your nutrients. They are at best an attempt to fill the gaps missed in your diet. But the fact is the best way to get your vitamins and other nutrients is from healthy food sources. Not to mention other bad side effects such extreme calorie restriction such as muscle loss, hair loss and depression.

In general calorie restriction is best only if you do not exercise. Otherwise, your body is better off eating your MBR and letting your exercise and daily activity be your deficit. Food is not the enemy. Indulgence and sloth is.

:drinker:

GOOD LUCK FINDING ALL THOSE BEAUTIFUL NUTRIENTS IN YOUR USDA FOODS!!!..HOPE YOU ARE REFERING TO A PERSONAL HOME GROWN GARDEN SWEETIE...
  • Luthorcrow
    Luthorcrow Posts: 193
    Options
    @Babydollnikki I would but then the Walmart crowd would start throwing stones at me. But yes, all your food should always be organic, locally grown or your own garden whenever possible. The benefits of increased nutrients and lack negative byproducts like hormones, pesticides and diseases is unquestionable.

That said, even then multi-vitamin supplements still have a place as insurance but I still say no one should rely on them as a nutrient replacement.

As for 1200 calories over 500. anything below 1200 is a just a bad idea. 1200 only makes sense if you do not exercise, otherwise even that is still too low.
  • Babydollnikki
    Options
    @Babydollnikki I would but then the Walmart crowd would start throwing stones at me. But yes, all your food should always be organic, locally grown or your own garden whenever possible. The benefits of increased nutrients and lack negative byproducts like hormones, pesticides and diseases is unquestionable.

That said, even then multi-vitamin supplements still have a place as insurance but I still say no one should rely on them as a nutrient replacement.

As for 1200 calories over 500. anything below 1200 is a just a bad idea. 1200 only makes sense if you do not exercise, otherwise even that is still too low.

First of all, whos to say how many nutrients the OP is taking in during her 500 calorie meal???::smokin: :smokin: :smokin: hmmm...She dosen't say....One key factor your not addressing here, is that the OP never said if she was taking in 500 empty calories.
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options

First of all, whos to say how many nutrients the OP is taking in during her 500 calorie meal???::smokin: :smokin: :smokin: hmmm...She dosen't say....One key factor your not addressing here, is that the OP never said if she was taking in 500 empty calories.

It is physically impossible to get everything she needs on 500 calories. She appears to understand that, so perhaps you should start another thread if you want to debate the merits of starving oneself as the OP did not ask for advice or support in continuing a pattern of disordered eating.

You're simply threadjacking at this point.
  • Babydollnikki
    Options

Posts by members, moderators and admins should not be considered medical advice and no guarantee is made against accuracy.

It is physically impossible to get everything she needs on 500 calories. She appears to understand that, so perhaps you should start another thread if you want to debate the merits of starving oneself as the OP did not ask for advice or support in continuing a pattern of disordered eating.

• Babydollnikki
    Options

Posts by members, moderators and admins should not be considered medical advice and no guarantee is made against accuracy.

• bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Hey,
    SO for the last couple of months I have been dieting and not eating that much so my appetite has naturally shrunk. Now I eat 5 meals a day but I am only eating 500 calories a day.... which i know is way to little. I feel so full though. For breakfast I usually have like a half a cup of oatmeal with some sort of fruit on the side. For lunch I usually have something like a fourth a cup of tuna, a yogurt and a vegi. For dinner its always different but usually like a serving of meat and two servings of vegis. Does anyone have any suggestions of how to eat more calories but stay healthy?

Add a little healthy fat (olive, canola, peanut, sunflower, etc. oils) to your meals. Just a spoonful will add over 100 calories and fat is necessary for proper body function. You only list 3 meals in your example.
  • wildcata77
    wildcata77 Posts: 660
    Options
    That's awful. Just eat more. Seriously. That's all there is to it. You should be getting three times what you are now.

Wow, it's so easy to spot the snarky ones here.

Meh, someone's gotta be the realist in a sea of sugar-coaters. :drinker:

:heart: :heart: :heart:

EDITED TO ADD: I actually take back the snark in this instance. Turns out OP is brand spankin' new. I thought she'd been here since January and was purposely under eating despite knowing better. Sent her an apology for being a butthead via PM. I know when I'm wrong and this is one of those times. Welcome again, OP. Glad you're getting healthier. ;)

:heart: :heart: :heart:

It's ok...I like snark. Sometimes I even have it in me. Glad you are an apologizer.
  • kellykaye_xo
    kellykaye_xo Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Bump

Thanks for the great info, Ladyhawk!!!
    Chronic lack of appetite can be a signal of severely decreased metabolism. A couple of threads that may help:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/175241-a-personal-view-on-exercise-cals-and-underfeeding

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/231636-the-eating-when-you-re-not-hungry-dilemma

Planning is key. Focus on balanced macros (protein/fat/carbs) in each meal/snack. Start with making sure to eat at least 3 meals a day. Breakfast is important when you're trying to overcome a habit of irregular eating or underfeeding. Once you've adjusted to that, add in snacks. Then, gradually increase the amount of cals in each meal/snack. Just 50 cals more for each meal/snack adds up. If you know you'll be working out, increase cals throughout the day.

If you're not feeling hungry, a good way to increase cals without much volume is healthy fats from natural oils (olive/canola), nuts and nut butters (almonds, pistachios, walnuts), and avocados. Also, I would stay away from "low cal" or "low fat" options. Partly because you want to increase cals, and partly because those foods are usually processed and not nutrient dense, and the cals or fat they take out is replaced by sugar (real or substitute) and sodium - not a good trade off. A fruit smoothie, protein shake or chocolate milk are good cal boosters, because drinking cals can be easier than eating when you aren't feeling hungry.

Typically, it may be hard for a few days or a week, but your body will adjust to the increased intake and you'll find it isn't an issue for long. Eating more will truly help your metabolism, and your appetite will increase with it.
  • ladyhawk00
    ladyhawk00 Posts: 2,457 Member
    Options
    Bump

Thanks for the great info, Ladyhawk!!!

Quite welcome, glad it helped :flowerforyou: