Weight loss shakes

Options
2»

Replies

• jakkrk
    jakkrk Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    You have to do it for you. You can't diet for your friends or family. It has to be a 'for you' thing. So, if your friends are not eating healthy, then that should be ok. You have to have the will power to push through that. I gave up alcohol. My wife and friends didn't. I still went to the bar. I did just fine. I still have friends that smoke. I quit. It doesn't bother me. You have to remember who and why you have decided to make this decision.
  • coonhoundmom50
    coonhoundmom50 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    So glad someone began a post for protein shakes. Glad I came across Slimfast Advanced Nutrition Smoothie shakes in Vanilla Creme. I also have recently begun to add jif pb powder and a banana while blending. This vanilla tastes the best! Very comparable to White cake mix!! Smells sooooo good, even my 9 yr old agreed!! Tastes great, absolutely no yucky protein powder taste!!! It comes in Creamy Chocolate, but this Lacks chocolate flavor, and has a weird, protein powder taste. Today for lunch, I also tried Nutrislim Nutricrush shake in chocolate. To my surprise, it was pretty darn good!! No yucky protein taste, either. It's around $8 /box of 7 servings. Wasnt filling, though, because you mix it with water, not milk, like in Slimfast. Was still hungry after this, then had 6 small celery sticks, still hungry! Maybe more filling if I blend it with 1/2 water, 1/2 milk and ice. We'll see. The Adventures in experimenting with weightloss shakes. Sure wish I got paid for trying this stuff out! It's getting expensive!!! But I think I've got some good runner ups in mind, good go-tos for this weight-loss journey.
  • coonhoundmom50
    Options
    I started doing a weight loss shake diet last Wednesday, you know one for breakfast, one for lunch then a healthy dinner. Just wondering if anyone has tried this kind of diet and what kind of success you've had.
    Just wondering how your diet is going? I started mine 4/9/16, similar to what you're doing, feel like I've lost only a few lbs, it's going slow though. Just started walking for my exercise. Also have added to Walkmeter app to my iPhone. Love it. It syncs progress to MFP!! I think the exercise will indeed start to help drop pounds. Also, recently bought the WeightGurus digital app sync scale. Love it. Syncs with MFP, too. I did Slimfast 13 years ago, few months before my wedding, but also rode bikes around neighborhood, too. This prob burned so many more calories, than walking, but I was 13 years younger, too. OK, so catch me up on how your weightloss shake is working for you! Wanna hear all about it!
  • coonhoundmom50
    Options
    I started doing a weight loss shake diet last Wednesday, you know one for breakfast, one for lunch then a healthy dinner. Just wondering if anyone has tried this kind of diet and what kind of success you've had.
    Sorry there weren't more people on here that had better experiences with Weightloss shakes. To alot of people that are trying to lose weight, it sounds like a food =mouth connection. They're just not into the shake/drink thing. Which is perfectly fine!!!! My obstacle is if my diet shake isn't a huge one, like 12 or more ounces, forget it!! Slimfast only calls for 8 oz milk, but once you blend it up, esp with banana and pb powder,ice cubes, it will make more than necessary, but that's OK! Then just seeing how much it makes seems to be very satisfying, when I only start out with 8 oz milk.
    Good luck, hope these shakes are working for you!!!

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Sorry there weren't more people on here that had better experiences with Weightloss shakes. To alot of people that are trying to lose weight, it sounds like a food =mouth connection. They're just not into the shake/drink thing. Which is perfectly fine!!!! My obstacle is if my diet shake isn't a huge one, like 12 or more ounces, forget it!! Slimfast only calls for 8 oz milk, but once you blend it up, esp with banana and pb powder,ice cubes, it will make more than necessary, but that's OK! Then just seeing how much it makes seems to be very satisfying, when I only start out with 8 oz milk.
    Good luck, hope these shakes are working for you!!!

I had luck losing weight with shakes BUT (and here's the hard part).....I was not able to keep the weight off. Shakes do absolutely nothing to teach portion control or to let us know where our problems are.

If someone has 5 or 10 pounds to lose. They have a good concept of maintenance. Those people may very well keep the weight off after a "temporary" dietary change (like meal replacements). But for those of us who haven't been at maintenance for years, going off shakes make us figure all of this out almost instantly.

I will need to moderate my calories FOREVER, not just while I am losing weight. Because once I get to a smaller weight I will require fewer calories forever.

There won't be "more" people here with good things to say, because this is a website designed for users to measure & log food......the very 2 things that meal replacements help users avoid.
  • KarenECunningham
    KarenECunningham Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I use shakes as a meal supplement when I'm running late or just not feeling well enough to eat. I haven't been able to do it everday. I get too hungry.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    lindarpolk wrote: »
    I used to for a while, but they gave me the runs. I finally figured out that's why I had to keep running to the restroom at work. With only 180 calories they never filled me up, so I ate enough food to keep from getting hungry. I can't say I lost anything, except the runs when I quit.

At 180 calories a pop, I'd be so famished by dinner that my "healthy dinner" would likely be a blowout that put me over my calories for the day.

I wouldn't make it until lunch.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice I really appreciate it. As for a healthy dinner, I was doing a salad and chicken breast or just a salad, but by the end of the week I was so hungry and hanging out with friends who are not eating healthy makes things so much harder. So we will see, I will probably just finish up the shakes I have then just try the portion control and calorie counting. Plus exercise when I can, with work and everything it's just hard to find the extra time.

Unless you are a Little Person, you'd be seriously undereating with that plan. Scooby says the # 1 reason people fail to lose weight is flaming out due to having overly aggressive goals.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOjsmqo1x8k
  • brb_2013
    brb_2013 Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    I use them as snacks, they're just not even close to enough for a meal for anyone. Not just size and satiety but nutrition and calories too.

I have one slim fast 20g shake for a snack several days per week. I don't think it's sustainable to replace meals entirely. But you try it and see how it fits your life.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I've tried a few different ones, and NONE of them fill me up! I have to add so many other ingredients to my smoothies, it kinda defeats the purpose.. I'm using a MR powder right now because they had run out of my usual protein powder, and I feel no difference in satiety between the two.
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I tried doing Slim Fast before. I only remember being on it for a couple of weeks because the shakes didn't stay with me. I was hungry again after about an hour. The only one I could even tolerate was the coffee flavored one; the rest were just awful. Definitely prefer normal food - it works better for me.
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    Also as a sidenote, if you're looking at meal replacements, occasionally when I'm in a hurry I have OhYeah One protein bars in the cupboard that I'll grab. They're delicious and stick with me for hours! I don't do it all the time, though...maybe 1 time a week or so.
  • AlyssaPetsDogs
    AlyssaPetsDogs Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    I've been using idealshape shakes for the past couple of months and will continue to do so because I love the taste - I usually replace breakfast every day because, although I like to eat "real food", I like sleeping even more so it's either grab a quick shake or nothing. I mix all of them with unsweetened vanilla almond milk. It keeps me full from about 7 until 10 or 10:30 ish and then I have a snack and then a normal, healthy lunch usually (this week, it's vegetarian zucchini lasagna. Sometimes it's a salad with chicken). Then I typically have another shake as a second snack before my workout and then a light dinner - maybe a piece of tilapia. I'm definitely losing weight, but there is no way I could replace two entire meals in the day with just shakes (definitely done it on crazy days, but I don't like to because I like my savory foods and then it's just too much sweet. And not enough calories so I have to snack more so I'm not hungry).

I'm still "learning" how to eat better and portion, so I'm not worried about stopping the shakes when I reach my goal and gaining it all back. Realistically I'll probably continue having them for breakfast even after I reach my goal because of the convenience factor. Also, I hate most breakfast foods so that factors in too.

Do what works for you and I hope this helps! Good luck :)
  • jakkrk
    Options
    This last few weeks, I have been doing a shake and some fruit for b-fast. Its quick and easy and at 5am, Im not all that hungry but know I have to put something in my body. I use MuscleMilk and EAS brands and I have found them to have the lowest sugar content. They are not make to fill you up, but to get you by. Like I have said before, I switch it up all the time so next week or so (when the farmers markets are up and running with good deals) I will switch my morning routine back to a (fruit/veggie/yogurt/oat) smoothie, which will fill you up and are under 350calories.
  • osufootballgrl
    osufootballgrl Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Normally I don't eat breakfast or lunch so I thought the shake thing would at least get my metabolism going. It's just too early for breakfast and I've never brought lunch to work so my body's just used to not eating until dinner. I know its not healthy, my doctors have told me, but I don't stuff my face when I eat that's why it's so hard for me to understand why I can't lose to weight.
  • murp4069
    murp4069 Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    I grab a shake occasionally for lunch, but thats an extremely rare occurrence. I agree that they don't teach you anything about portion control long term. But I think they can be a useful tool during times when you just need to grab something and run that is a better choice than grabbing fast food or some other quick, high calorie meal. I don't know anyone who has used them as a meal replacement that successfully lost weight and kept it off - every person I know that did this gained the weight back after getting off whatever program.
  • jakkrk
    Options
    Anybody that doesn't stick to whatever program that they are on will regain the lost weight. Its not a shake thing. Its a mental thing. My wife has been doing the shakes for 2 months, still losing and we are maintaining a proper diet. You learn from the meals you eat, what you like and how much to eat.