Fitbit ?

Options
reecekyall
reecekyall Posts: 21 Member
I am very short on money and need to know if a Fitbit is worth spending my money on ? Please help anyone

Replies

• Andreja_32
    Andreja_32 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I really love mine and challenge myself to do 100 more steps than the day before. If short on cash check out the zip that clips on your pants. Usually 50 but goes on sale at stores often for 30. It's worth buying if you plan on using. You can sync it with my fitness pal as well.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    I made it fine without one. But some people swear by them! My aunt loved hers. It really kept her motivated to be more active and get more steps in each day . this process is definitely doable without one though. I never had one. Just eat at a calorie deficit for weight loss. Calories in - calories out. But having a fitbit does help some people a lot ! You could maybe put one on layaway at your local store and pay it off monthly maybe ?
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Definitely worth it. I'd be so lost without mine. As mentioned, look into a zip, that's what I have and works fine. Sync it to mfp and just set and forget, it makes life (and knowing how many calories to eat) so much easier
  • Gennybunny96
    Gennybunny96 Posts: 69 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Love mine and the zip is a great starter option
  • Erin1082
    Erin1082 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I've been wanting one as well. Have you looked at other brands? I'm looking at getting a mio, the one similar to fitbit charge hr is $100, $50 less then the fitbit which is $150 for the charge hr
  • reecekyall
    reecekyall Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Looking for something that I can link to this
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/apps lists what links to MFP. If I was "very short of money" I wouldn't be buying anything. If you have a smartphone it'll do half the work at least.
  • jswanson69
    jswanson69 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    i love mine. It gives me a complete picture of my health....BPM, resting HR, sleep quality, activity......
  • jordanamrussell
    jordanamrussell Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I do love my fitbit but it's not necessary for weight loss. Mine was a gift thankfully otherwise I probably would be too cheap to buy one. I love seeing the date, my sleep quality, and making sure I move more during the day because I sit at a desk for 9 hours a day and never realized how little I move until I started using my fitbit. But if you can't afford one right now, you don't need it. Start saving up to buy one whenever you can if you really want it
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    Definitely worth the money for me. I have had a fitbit for over 3 years now. For me it is a huge motivator to get me to walk more. I walk a lot and use the elliptical and for activities like this it is great. It is a fancy pedometer, I am not sure how good it is for other activities. I love the HR feature and the staircase feature. Fitbits customer service is fantastic!
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    If you're really short on money, just install a step based app on your phone - or some mobiles already come with inbuilt step trackers. Also there are apps like MapMyFitness which will track your workout and give you estimated calories burned.

But as for Fitbit, its a great device and I wouldn't be without mine now.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    I love mine and it was worth it to me. I got the zip as a gift in 2013. Loved it so much that I upgraded to the Flex in 2014. At the end of 2014 I tried Garmin VivoFit and had issues with the software (that's undergone a bunch of updates since then and is probably much better now then it was). In 2015 I got the Surge which was my favorite until the band started breaking at the start of the year. I was going to just buy a new Surge, but saw that the Blaze was coming out and had all the features that I loved from the Surge with replaceable bands. So now my new favorite is the Blaze. With each wrist model I've had, I've done a step comparison between it and the Zip. The Blaze has had the biggest discrepancy and not in a way you'd expect. Most people expect the wrist worn fitbit's to pick up hand movements as steps (and most will, then you lose steps when pushing stuff), but the Blaze seems to have a unique issue of undercounting steps.
    Some days where I just walked around a lot:
    Sun - 13,673 steps Zip vs 13,228 Blaze
    Sat - 15,047 steps Zip vs 13,742 Blaze
    Fri - 22,259 steps Zip vs 20,541 Blaze
    There is a difference in calories burned as well, but Blaze is higher which I put down to it having the HRM and knowing when my HR is elevated.

However if you want something a bit cheaper look into Misfit. Misfit Flash is around $30 and it will sync with MFP. It also can either be worn as a clip on or a wrist band.

They aren't necessary devices, but I found mine very useful. It showed me just how inactive I was.
  • BettyEtte
    BettyEtte Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I do NOT recommend the Misfit Shine 2--2016 edition. It was supposed to be better than previous versions--i.e., better band, so it presumably would not fall out and get lost. But after having mine for about 24 days and really loving it? It fell out of the band on a hiking trail. I immediately ordered a Fitbit Charge HR for next-day delivery. After getting accustomed to a tracker, I just could not be without one.
  • suezeaa32
    suezeaa32 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Fitbit helped me how much more I move than I thought I did. I have the one that fits on my body not wrist. I had another I phone program for 2 years but it was not motivating like Fitbit. Also it and Fitbit were about a thousand steps different every day. I synced Fitbit to MFP and now I am very happy and doing challenges with my family often. They are crazy active. I am the grandma and mom but I am loving walking and active to keep up with those girls.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    I love mine and just bought the "Blaze"after my force died after two years. The blaze does a great job tracking sleep, steps and heart rate but at $199 it is too much for someone on a budget. I would go for a smartphone app that can track steps if that is what you want or the lower price fitbits. I always use an app for tracking planned walks or running (Runtastic). This way I get my stats on pace distance and calories burned. Think of fit bit as a general activity tracker. That said I always like that 10K step vibration especially when it hits before the sun comes up.
  • snowflake930
    Options
    rsclause wrote: »
    That said I always like that 10K step vibration especially when it hits before the sun comes up.

^LOL, I hear you on this, but it is starting to get light earlier, so I may not get the vibration till after sunrise on the weekends. The weekdays are safe though as I get up very early and go to the gym before work.

I envy you your Blaze. I want one, but can't justify the price. Three fitbits in three years, first the One, then the Force(discontinued), now the Charge HR. I do have a milestone birthday coming up in September though, and I am not getting any younger, so maybe.
  • patsyacs
    patsyacs Posts: 1,322 Member
    Options
    You should look into Garmin as well. It is similar to the Fitbit (counts steps, sleep, calories burned, etc) and links with myfitnesspal. I got the Vivofit for about $45. Have had mine for a couple months and it has motivated me to move more.
  • Nikki31104
    Nikki31104 Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    My fitbit band is falling off after only having it for 4 months. I love having it but I am very disappointed in the quality.
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    reecekyall wrote: »
    I am very short on money and need to know if a Fitbit is worth spending my money on ? Please help anyone

I was going to get it but decided not to. I have an app on my iPhone called Health that came with the phone that counts my steps, running/walking miles, and flights climbed per day. I just try to be sure and keep my phone on my body as much as possible, especially at my weekend job where I exert myself the most. It does exactly what fitbit does minus linking up to the internet or monitoring my sleep patterns. I was only going to buy the fitbit for the sleep patterns to be monitored but found an app for that as well.
  • snowflake930
    Options
    Nikki31104 wrote: »
    My fitbit band is falling off after only having it for 4 months. I love having it but I am very disappointed in the quality.

Contact fitbit about your band falling off. Their customer service is the best, no kidding!