Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Keto VS Paleo

124»

Replies

• J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    edited April 2016
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    There are tons of highly nutritious carbohydrates so personally, I don't think avoiding carbs is healthier than eating carbs. I personally see no reason to do keto absent a medical condition that would require being super low carb...otherwise I'd think it torture.

Paleo emphasizes whole foods which is cool...but then they turn around and demonize perfectly nutritious whole foods like legumes. Also, I don't think there's anything inherently evil about wheat or dairy...so Paleo would also be a no go.

I just eat a highly nutritious and well balanced diet made up primarily of whole foods and minimally processed foods.
    This, end thread...
  • Duroko
    Duroko Posts: 6 Member
    I personally had good luck going paleo and I say that because I look at paleo as a lifestyle. Just like going vegan. Plus making it a lifestyle will keep the weight off because there is no keeping it off if you go back to your old lifestyle after you lose the weight.
  • sarahjane135
    sarahjane135 Posts: 40 Member
    Going low carb made me very sick. My heart was racing all the time, I had dizzy spells, & I barely had the energy to make it from the couch to the fridge. Also I don't know anyone who done low carb & stayed with it, they all quit & gained it all back plus some.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Going low carb made me very sick. My heart was racing all the time, I had dizzy spells, & I barely had the energy to make it from the couch to the fridge. Also I don't know anyone who done low carb & stayed with it, they all quit & gained it all back plus some.

That may have been an electrolyte imbalance that threw off your blood pressure. Not fun.
  • sarahjane135
    nvmomketo wrote: »

That may have been an electrolyte imbalance that threw off your blood pressure. Not fun.

It may have been but I don't think low carb is a good long term thing for me. I LOVE carbs & I'm okay with that. I also call into question the theory that pork rinds would be better for you that a cup of grapes or other fruit.
  • nvmomketo

It may have been but I don't think low carb is a good long term thing for me. I LOVE carbs & I'm okay with that. I also call into question the theory that pork rinds would be better for you that a cup of grapes or other fruit.

Most people love carbs. :) If your body is okay with them, I say enjoy them!

Pork rinds is the equivalent of potato chips in my mind. I doubt they are better for you than fruit, unless one is talking about a bunch of grapes for someone with insulin resistance.

A better LCHF comparison would be nuts as a snack instead of a higher GI fruit, or eat berries if fruit is what you really want.

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member

well one is going to inflate my liver with fat and the other isn't, so each to their own.

Low carb since 2010.
  • sarahjane135
    yarwell wrote: »

well one is going to inflate my liver with fat and the other isn't, so each to their own.

Low carb since 2010.

Why would you want to "inflate your liver"?
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member

Low carb since 2010.

It will make a fine parade float come thanksgiving?
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member

Low carb since 2010.

@sarahjane135 inflating one's liver can be asking to develop Type 2 diabetes. Many of us have backed off from heavy carb eating to fix our fatty livers and to protect our health but it is often mid age before one may see serious health problems. Carbs just fine especially if not coming from processed foods for many people. It is after some of us develop eating style disorders like Type 2 diabetes, etc that eating Low Carb High Fat is used to reverse type 2 diabetes, poor lipid panels, etc. He is just saying he has been doing it since 2010 and he is healthy. I have only been doing it since Oct 2014 to fix most of my arthritis pain level. In six months it resolved my 40 years of life defining IBS and many other health concerns.

Keep in my this way of eating may be very wrong for you as you state even though the practice goes back into the 1800's in medical history. It is known to be very safe and very effective especially for kids with neurological conditions.

The way of eating that gives you the health results that you seek should be the right one for you. We are all different and sometimes very different when it comes to the foods our bodies need.
  • sarahjane135

Low carb since 2010.

@sarahjane135 inflating one's liver can be asking to develop Type 2 diabetes. Many of us have backed off from heavy carb eating to fix our fatty livers and to protect our health but it is often mid age before one may see serious health problems. Carbs just fine especially if not coming from processed foods for many people. It is after some of us develop eating style disorders like Type 2 diabetes, etc that eating Low Carb High Fat is used to reverse type 2 diabetes, poor lipid panels, etc. He is just saying he has been doing it since 2010 and he is healthy. I have only been doing it since Oct 2014 to fix most of my arthritis pain level. In six months it resolved my 40 years of life defining IBS and many other health concerns.

Keep in my this way of eating may be very wrong for you as you state even though the practice goes back into the 1800's in medical history. It is known to be very safe and very effective especially for kids with neurological conditions.

The way of eating that gives you the health results that you seek should be the right one for you. We are all different and sometimes very different when it comes to the foods our bodies need.

Low carb can be fine if you can still get the vitamins & minerals your body needs with out fruits or the higher carb vegetables & if you can stick to it. It's not for me, but for those who do well with it, I'm truly happy for you.
  • cocobee2016
    cocobee2016 Posts: 11 Member
    I usually limit myself to 2 slices of bread per day, sometimes no bread, i have my kumara, potato rice or pasta for dinner but always try to make it a balanced meal, more non starch carbs as in veg on my plate, protein, fats. This with my MFP calorie allowance and fitbit 10,000 works.
  • yarwell

Low carb since 2010.

I wouldn't, hence I would make the choice least likely to pack it with fats.
  • georgewcarpenterii
    georgewcarpenterii Posts: 2 Member
    Not sure how long I've been in ketosis, maybe two or three weeks but I went through the KETO rash and the headache, that's all past and now I have crazy dry mouth and short of breath! I've read from other people need Powerade but I can't seem to find the right website that caters to this or gives you the right info to help you figure out what you need? Any other info or ideas? Please add me if you would like.

This sounds like some serious dehydration. I think a lot of people really miss one of the most important steps in ketosis: Proper hydration.

I'm not talking 8 glasses of water a day. It varies person to person but if you're not getting around a gallon (+ or -) 20 ounces of water a day, you're going to have a bad time.
  • nvmomketo
    Not sure how long I've been in ketosis, maybe two or three weeks but I went through the KETO rash and the headache, that's all past and now I have crazy dry mouth and short of breath! I've read from other people need Powerade but I can't seem to find the right website that caters to this or gives you the right info to help you figure out what you need? Any other info or ideas? Please add me if you would like.

This sounds like some serious dehydration. I think a lot of people really miss one of the most important steps in ketosis: Proper hydration.

I'm not talking 8 glasses of water a day. It varies person to person but if you're not getting around a gallon (+ or -) 20 ounces of water a day, you're going to have a bad time.

I would focus more on electrolytes. Drinking too much will throw your electrolytes off by even more.
  • yarwell
    Always amuses me when people think water is the solution to dehydration. You can buy "oral rehydration salts" and if you need treating for dehydration in a hospital they don't put a hose in your mouth but a trickle of IV salt solution into your bloodstream.

Dehydration is indeed all about the electrolytes, flushing them away with gallons of water is counterproductive.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Always amuses me when people think water is the solution to dehydration. You can buy "oral rehydration salts" and if you need treating for dehydration in a hospital they don't put a hose in your mouth but a trickle of IV salt solution into your bloodstream.

Dehydration is indeed all about the electrolytes, flushing them away with gallons of water is counterproductive.

Indeed. It's not just about water, it's about fluid and electrolyte balance...