Boss's Wedding

Options
denversillygoose
denversillygoose Posts: 708 Member
My boss is getting married this weekend and on the invitation it suggested that they want cash for their honeymoon. Seeing as how he knows how much (or how little, rather) i make, should I just get him a small gift and ignore the money suggestion? Honestly, I don't like the idea of giving my boss money. Seems really tacky and inappropriate.

Replies

• ghudson92
    ghudson92 Posts: 2,061 Member
    Options
    I would definitely go with a small gift
  • saramickeydee
    saramickeydee Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    The request itself is tacky and inappropriate.
  • denversillygoose
    Options

Yes, but I'm not surprised by it at all.
  • AskTracyAnnK28
    AskTracyAnnK28 Posts: 2,834 Member
    Options
    Maybe compromise and get a Visa Gift Card.
  • jessica22222
    jessica22222 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Yuck. I've had the cash gifts request on invitations. Sooo tacky. Things like that need to be spread around by word of mouth and when people ask. Makes me want to bring a toaster.

A gift is a gift and anyone should be happy at any gesture. Telling people what to give you is just tacky. I agree with a book by Emily Post.
  • Jamiepk1985
    Jamiepk1985 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    If he is just a boss to you, I would do a card with no gift. If he is also a friend, I would probably give money. But, I agree that it is super tacky. Hard decision.
  • EmmieBaby
    EmmieBaby Posts: 1,235 Member
    Options
    I've always been told that you give money equal to the value of the plate you are served at the wedding (usually between $60-100 per plate)

As for it being tacky to ask for money, I don't see it that way since I asked for money at my wedding since we didn't want gifts. We appreciated more people giving money that would help pay off the wedding and go towards the honeymoon then a new cutting board or blender.

As for it being your boss, I think he would understand if you gave him little since he knows how much you earn/tight your budget is. I've gone to my boss' wedding and my supervisors and they both understood why I couldn't give much (my wedding was a month after theirs) they were just happy I was there to celebrate with them (as they were at my wedding)
  • amfmmama
    amfmmama Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    How about a bottle of wine with a card about toasting to their happiness when they return from their fabulous honeymoon.... you can get a pretty decent bottle for what you would purchase small gift for...
  • crazymama2both
    crazymama2both Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Give him money totaling the amount of one weeks' worth of your last raise.

HIGH FIVE!!!
  • TracyeS4
    TracyeS4 Posts: 746 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    EmmieBaby wrote: »
    I've always been told that you give money equal to the value of the plate you are served at the wedding (usually between $60-100 per plate)

You must go to some fancy weddings. I would estimate the plates at $15 - $20 for the weddings that I have been to.

If you don't feel comfortable giving him money, then go with a small gift. I get the request for money, though. After paying for the wedding, you have the stress of paying for the honeymoon. Everything is so expensive and it adds up so quickly. Sometimes, people want to know what you want. That is the idea of a gift registry, right? So, suggesting that helping with the honeymoon would be the best gift is not that tacky in my opinion.
  • TracyeS4
    TracyeS4 Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    amfmmama wrote: »
    How about a bottle of wine with a card about toasting to their happiness when they return from their fabulous honeymoon.... you can get a pretty decent bottle for what you would purchase small gift for...

Or to take on their honeymoon. That is probably what I would do.
  • gramarye
    gramarye Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    Okay, so I'm actually in the camp where I think this is fine -- because both buying and receiving gifts is awful, and even simple honeymoons are expensive. I also tend to give cash in cards for weddings, because I don't make a lot of money and would rather they use the small amount I can offer to go toward something larger than give the couple a gift they don't need or won't use.

About the only part of this that makes in weird to me is that this is your boss. Are you close to your boss? Are a lot of coworkers going? Do you feel like your boss is the sort to hold it against you if you give, say, $20 in a card?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,523 Member
    Options
    How so? My wife and I got married in CA, but at the time lived in VA where no family or relatives were. We asked for money in lieu of gifts due to the fact that gifts had to be flown back and we didn't want an issue with loss, damage or extra expense. We had a couple of gifts, but almost everyone gave us cash or a check.
    Also, even with registry, some might not be able to afford for what's being asked for. I've seen lots of registries asking for items over $200.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    I don't find it tacky. often people are together for a while before they get married now.

my and mine don't need anything. we have it all. we've been together for 9 years. we have a honeyfund instead of the traditional registry for things we wouldn't need

give him a visa card. i think 25 dollars would be fine.
    planning my wedding, plates were 20-65 dollars.
  • denversillygoose
    Options
    I didn't find the request for cash all that tacky. I get it that they combined households and don't need a bunch of crap. I just feel weird giving cash in this situation. I like the idea of a nice bottle. I'll probably go with a local distillery since they're more cocktail drinkers than wine.
  • saramickeydee
    edited April 2016
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    How so? My wife and I got married in CA, but at the time lived in VA where no family or relatives were. We asked for money in lieu of gifts due to the fact that gifts had to be flown back and we didn't want an issue with loss, damage or extra expense. We had a couple of gifts, but almost everyone gave us cash or a check.
    Also, even with registry, some might not be able to afford for what's being asked for. I've seen lots of registries asking for items over $200.
    ]

Because asking for a gift is inappropriate. Because expecting a gift is tacky. Gifts are gifts, not expected payment for attending your event. If you want to share your event with someone you do it without expectation of getting something.

Specifying what kind of gift is acceptable makes it worse. Again, a gift is a gift. You've heard "don't look a gift horse in the mouth?" That's what it means - if something is a gift, you don't look to criticize it.

The boss/employee relationship just adds to the weirdness of the situation. You have someone in a position of power, and who pays the invitee a paycheck. It's just awkward.

ETA: a registry should not be included on an invitation. and it is a list of SUGGESTED gifts, not required gifts.
  • HealthierRayne
    HealthierRayne Posts: 268 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    moyer566 wrote: »
    I don't find it tacky. often people are together for a while before they get married now.

I completely agree with this, my sister is getting married this fall - her house is full, they've been living together for a while and have everything they could possible need. Money makes sense, a registry not so much.

Likewise my boyfriend and I have been together 8 years and own a house - I too would rather money than gifts if we got married, the last thing we need is more stuff cluttering up the house.

I agree that less than $100 is reasonable - I figure always try to give the amount that they spent on food for me to attend (or what you think is close)
  • saramickeydee
    Options
    BTW, money is not a tacky gift. It's the asking that is tacky.