A qualified yes
  • Codefox
    Codefox Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    No
  • jonthemusse
    jonthemusse Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Im going to have to add that if your heart rate doesn't go up, you're in a warm room, not a sauna. I'm curious as to what constitutes a sauna in non-Russo-Scandinavian gyms.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Just because your heart rate goes up doesn't mean it is exercise. I'm tachycardic when anaemic and had a 140 resting heart rate and I didn't burn extra calories
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    wilsoncl6 wrote: »
    No caloric burn for sauna sitting. You burn calories breathing, going to the bathroom, chewing food and swallowing. Heck, you burn calories growing hair and fingernails. Are you going to count those too?

^ This, is your answer!
    You burn calories being alive. A sauna feels great after exercising, but no added calorie burning for sitting there sweating, other than what you would burn sweating outside in the hot sun. May increase your calorie burn over just sitting, but I wouldn't count it as exercise.
  • jonthemusse
    jonthemusse Posts: 106 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    This is nit picking, but the the title mentions sauna so I'm obliged.

Since this has basically evolved into discussion about BMR, go see what happens to it when exposed to ambient temperatures beyond centrally heated 21 degrees Celsius. A truly cheap way to lose weight in colder climates is to turn off the heat and go full Monty with comfy slippers.
  • ShodanPrime
    ShodanPrime Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    suediebee wrote: »
    So I exercise regularly, but I also sit in the sauna after my workout for about 15 min. I want to know does that count as exercise? Because I don't see it in the panel of different exercises, so does it really make a difference? It certainly feels like it when I'm in there.

It does not. Otherwise summer would make us all swole as kittens.
  • madhatter2013
    madhatter2013 Posts: 1,547 Member
    Options
    cnbbnc wrote: »
    Well I'm sweating that has to count for something.

I sweat quite a bit while I'm getting my taxes done. That doesn't make it a workout.

Depends on who's doing them and how many times I have to reach across the table to hit them. :lol:
  • ShodanPrime
    ShodanPrime Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    cnbbnc wrote: »
    Well I'm sweating that has to count for something.

I sweat quite a bit while I'm getting my taxes done. That doesn't make it a workout.

Depends on who's doing them and how many times I have to reach across the table to hit them. :lol:

I owed an extra 9k this year... Tax preparer got lucky I didn't set her house on fire. I was angry. Then realized I just need a snickers. I wasn't me.