Plateau = unmotivated

Options
I have been walking for over 1 year now and I have seen results in my shape but only 2-3 kg change. I have out this down to fat vs muscle as I know I am stronger. I really have lost motivation as now no results (past 6mths are visible). Everything I read says change exercise but I really like walking. Weak bladder and big chest make running uncomfortable and cardio just makes me dizzy. Many moons ago before kids I would do 3-4 classes a week and gym work. I have started tracking my diet and mostly my calories are too low which might account for lack of motivation/fatigue. I try to walk 3-4 times per week at 5km each time. I have just changed to 3km but with leg weights. I haven't really got much faster in the year either just fitter. I need to step it up but what and how.

Replies

• RoseTheWarrior
    RoseTheWarrior Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    Weight loss comes down to calories in vs calories out. You can't outrun or outwalk a bad diet. Use a food scale, figure out your weight loss calories and adhere to that consistently and you'll see weight loss results.
  • brokendove21
    brokendove21 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Including to eat more food? I am around 1000kj short each day of food in
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,870 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Read the first posts and the links in the Getting started and the General Diet and weight loss sections.

Think about them.

Come back with your questions after that.

You are posting from a brand new account and your question as stated will result in an overwhelming number of responses and a bad initial experience...
  • giomarine13
    giomarine13 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Counting calories is really the only way to ensure weight lose when exercising is cutting it. I've always hated doing it and convinced myself that I could accomplish weight lose with out it, but my greatest results have always been exercise with calorie counting together
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Well, there are a few things that need to be reviewed in your initial post.
    1. You said you just started tracking your food and your calories are too low. I'm going to chalk this up to you being more cognizant of what you're eating now that you're logging, therefore you're eating less now. You can be assured that this was not your normal calorie intake prior to logging or you would have definitely lost weight within the past six months.
    2. Walking is great exercise. You don't have to go crazy in a gym for exercise. Have you gained muscle though? It is highly unlikely, as gaining muscle is quite difficult to do and walking isn't exactly the type of exercise that would make you gain muscle in that way, especially walking 3 to 4 times per week for 3 miles. That being said, don't stop walking. Walking is great cardiovascular exercise, but just know you're not really going to see great body composition change from it.
    3. Keep logging your food intake. If you don't lose any weight within the next three weeks, you will know that you are eating too much to lose weight and that you have logging issues you must fix. Using measuring cups or tablespoons for solid food can lead to a huge margin of error.

All of these points aside, you are on the right track. Just keep logging as accurately as possible and you should see progress.
  • LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    Sorry OP, but your post is just making excuses. You didn't pack on 2-3 kg of muscle from walking unless you're using Vegeta's gravity chamber. You're definitely not eating at a 1k deficit and not losing weight. You don't even need exercise to lose weight since you can't do anything other than walk, apparently.

You are only cheating yourself by making these excuses. Buy a food scale, count your calories, and enjoy your walks and weight loss.