why is my weight going UP?

Options
ive been at it for 2 weeks (i know, not a long time yet), and for the past 2 days my weight has gone UP instead of DOWN! I've been staying within my calorie limits, and have been getting in 30-40 minutes of walking each day (for someone with arthritis & fibromyalgia, that's a lot, even though it doesn't look it).. and my weight is going up. It was going steadily down, and I'm doing the same stuff I was before, so why is my weight going up now? It's pretty disheartening to look at the scale and see it going in the wrong direction.

Replies

• eeejer
    eeejer Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    because weight fluctuates, 2 days is not enough time for any sort of trend to show (I've been cutting for 2 years). If you get depressed over numbers fluctuating only weigh yourself once a week.
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    Options
    Weight loss isn't linear. You need to look at the overall weight trend over the weeks and months, not day-to-day.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    Weight fluctuates, and as above says, its all about the overall trend as the weeks and months pass.
    Stick with it, you will get there.
  • Yourkindagirl
    Yourkindagirl Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    As a woman, many times our weight fluctuates. While it is good to weigh everyday, especially during maintenance, many times watching the scale everyday can sabotage our efforts because of the disappointment when our weight fluctuates. If at the end of a week, it is going up reviewing your journal would be wise. However, even a week is not enough time to determine something is wrong due to hormonal changes our bodies go through.

Keep your head up, and keep tracking. This is a marathon, not a sprint. It can be done. It took me 1.5 years to lose 60 pounds, and I had many weeks like you are having. You can do it. Just keep your focus, and don't let 2 days or even two weeks get you down. I had a two month plateau during my journey, so I really understand how frustrating it can be when you are expecting the scale to be going down, and it is doing the opposite.
  • FatMomRun
    FatMomRun Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    With being female we get to experience weight gain once a month, anywhere from 2 pounds to 10! Some of us experience the weight gain 2 weeks before our periods are due, others experience it a couple of days prior. Over the next couple months will start to recognize the pattern, and you won't feel so panicked.

Isn't being a girl wonderful?
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    Salty pretzels are making you retain water and you haven't pooped yet.

Pro tip: Only weigh once a week so that you can get a more accurate feel for the trend. Day to day fluctuations will make you go crazy.
  • butterfli7o
    butterfli7o Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat. Been exercising every day and eating well, and I'm up two pounds. Talk about a depressing way to start the morning. But, I remembered what everyone else above has said and I'm going to not stress and keep on keepin' on.
  • Jeffrey300050
    Jeffrey300050 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    It's depressing but keep it up, it will work eventually if the numbers are right. Science doesn't lie.
  • karmelpopcorn
    karmelpopcorn Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Today I weigh 5 pounds less than I did last Friday and I didn't do anything different. I've been at it awhile. I'm in my 40s and I measure how I'm doing by my average highest weight. My highest weight continues to trend downward and that's over a long period of time.
  • nixxthirteen
    nixxthirteen Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Use an app like Libra to graph your daily weight, and show the overall downward trend.

I weigh right in the morning after going to the washroom. Every day. And this app truly keeps me sane through the daily fluctuations.
  • EmilyEmpowered
    EmilyEmpowered Posts: 650 Member
    Options
    I agree whole heartedly with everyone who said that weight loss isnt linear. I know it can be discouraging, but give it time. I was just recently incredibly stressed about my weight going up with a new diet change. I decided to track my weight every day for 30 days, and what I found was it goes up and down and up and down-- normally goes up when I make any changes to diet or exercise routines. Once I tracked it for 30 days, I discovered that although there are highs and lows, I have actually lost what averages out to 1.5 pounds per week- exactly what my MFP is set to! Since I proved that fact to myself, I have been able to see the bigger picture and dont stress too much about daily weigh ins. As long as you are making the choice to eat better and move more, you are doing something right!
  • AliceAxe
    AliceAxe Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    have you ever noticed a lot of people with chronic pain issues truggle with weight probs? I think its more than just being sedintary and/or comfort/boredom eating. Ive been trying for a year to lose weight and only lost 10lbs. Im in the same situation with fibro , myofacial pain syndrome arthritis and others. I supsect the chronic pain is the culprit. it causes stress which causes cortisol, and I think our bodies are in crisis so go into a protective state like 'starvation mode' to keep weight on. if you think about it from a biology stand point, an injured animal cant easily find food or compete with resources, so mabee this is some kind of evolutionary adaptaion to hang onto reserves. not sure if this is correct or what to do about it if this is the case. I try to do things to relieve stress and pain but I have no solutions for that so am kind of stuck as to what to do.
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    ive been at it for 2 weeks (i know, not a long time yet), and for the past 2 days my weight has gone UP instead of DOWN! I've been staying within my calorie limits, and have been getting in 30-40 minutes of walking each day (for someone with arthritis & fibromyalgia, that's a lot, even though it doesn't look it).. and my weight is going up. It was going steadily down, and I'm doing the same stuff I was before, so why is my weight going up now? It's pretty disheartening to look at the scale and see it going in the wrong direction.

Can you give us an idea of what you are eating each day?

Are you weighing and measuring what you eat/drink?

You should be able to lose weight even without any exercise if you are staying within a certain caloric range.

Keep in mind that your body is doing it's own thing as well. It's not just about the fact you are trying to lose weight so there are things going on in there that you can't control that may affect your weight. ;)

You've been at it for only 2 weeks. Have you lost anything at all before these last 2 days? If so then that's a loss. You can gain for many reasons, you may be retaining water, had a higher than usual sodium filled meal, etc. Give it some time. It takes a while to get in to a good routine and to be able to look back at how you are doing and compare the days to one another. Keep at it! Good luck!
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    Options
    seska422 wrote: »
    Weight loss isn't linear. You need to look at the overall weight trend over the weeks and months, not day-to-day.

I agree.

I weigh daily but I put my numbers in on a happy scale app on my phone. That way I can look back at the fluctuations and that helps put things in to perspective.
  • donjtomasco
    donjtomasco Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    crickets.....
  • TxTiffani
    TxTiffani Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    ive been using happy scale. it's an app that you can plug your weight into everyday and it graphs a trend line so even if you stay the same or even go up a little it will continue to show the trending down line:) I like it.
  • benzieboxx
    benzieboxx Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Eh my weight goes up and down all the time. I only actually log my weight on Sunday because that's my weigh in day and I log even if it goes up because I like to see my overall trend. Bodies fluctuate so much so I really wouldn't get hung up on the number. Especially after only two days.
  • DisneyDude85
    DisneyDude85 Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    If you want to weigh yourself daily, I suggest using a weight tracking app like @tiffanifair suggested (I use Libra). Its a great tool to show how your weight fluctuates from day to day! But, if the up and down drives you crazy, then stick to once a week
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    AliceAxe wrote: »
    have you ever noticed a lot of people with chronic pain issues truggle with weight probs? I think its more than just being sedintary and/or comfort/boredom eating. Ive been trying for a year to lose weight and only lost 10lbs. Im in the same situation with fibro , myofacial pain syndrome arthritis and others. I supsect the chronic pain is the culprit. it causes stress which causes cortisol, and I think our bodies are in crisis so go into a protective state like 'starvation mode' to keep weight on. if you think about it from a biology stand point, an injured animal cant easily find food or compete with resources, so mabee this is some kind of evolutionary adaptaion to hang onto reserves. not sure if this is correct or what to do about it if this is the case. I try to do things to relieve stress and pain but I have no solutions for that so am kind of stuck as to what to do.

Many folks on here have lost weight successfully with chronic pain issues. Being sedentary is probably way less important than what that person is eating, and being accurate in their logging.

If you are concerned you can start your own thread and I'm sure people will offer helpful suggestions. Generally you would be asked to open your food diary and people will look over what you are doing and go from there. If you are already at a healthy weight range, 10 lbs in a year isn't at all bad. Most people's issues stem from not using a food scale to weigh all their solid food, or poorly logging.
  • minniesb69
    minniesb69 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    When my weight goes up for no reason over a few days I know it's time for my monthly. When my monthly comes on it stabilizes and then drops towards the end of my cycle.