Have you mourned?

Options

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,885 Member
    Options
    rankinsect,

Eating "gallons" of ice cream is enjoyment? I'm feeling stomach ache and tooth pain just imagining it.
    For me, 2 pints in one seating while leaving room for other goodies are good. I was going for something that's far more reasonable and realistic. But sure I got your point that everyone's freaky eating is different. Is it even possible for a stomach to physically house 2 gallons?

I have a theory there are two kinds of overweight people...snackers and bingers. If you are a snacker, of course you're never going to understand what binging is like.

If we're limited to those two options, then I'm a snacker because I've never binged.

But my actual story ...

I was slender most of my life. I exercised a lot and food was fuel.

Then about 10 years ago, my life circumstances changed and I couldn't exercise as much as I wanted. I reduced the amount I ate, of course, but not enough and I very gradually put on weight. Not because of binging or excessive snacking ... I just ate a little bit more than I was burning. I did the calculations some time ago, and it worked out to less than 100 calories a day above maintenance . That's a slightly larger dinner or lunch. 13 cashews too many during an afternoon snack. A slice of bread. A banana. A large apple.

• jaga13
    jaga13 Posts: 1,149 Member
    Options
    jaga,

I'm taller than you, 5'7, probably stronger and healthier than an average person of that size because I play sport. Thus, a healthier appetite also. That means I'll likely proportionally eat much more than you do and gain more weight to be worried about. As of today I'm 8.9 lbs from my GW (155).

Someone questioned whether I was a binge eater. Last week I gained 5 lbs+ in just 3 days and it wasn't mostly water. I know the sodium effect on my body and the amount of water I consume.

You are taking things too personally while it's just forum chatting and most of the time it's also to talk with other people. Like I said I share what is possible with some discipline, activities, mindset.

Look at this thread it's littered with people saying they're depressed, paranoid with eating, weight control. It sounds like they've exchanged one problem (overweight) for another.

I'm taking things personally? I'm confused. It appeared you were telling me, personally, what I should do and think. You keep bagering here. That's not productive. If you think I should simply stop caring so much about the calories and let loose, that's not productive because as I've explained im stuck in maintence mode precisely by overeating too often. The answer is simple. I need to not overeat as often if I want to lose those last pounds. I know this as a fact but it's still hard emotionally to accept it. My body doesn't need as many calories as my taller friends, but my eyes still want to eat it all. I hope to move past the emotional side and be able to truly enjoy the occasional overeating adventure when it is absolutely worth it. Not because it's Tuesday and its there.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,885 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    jaga13 wrote: »
    Have you "mourned" overeating and completely moved past the desire to eat with no control? (I'm not talking about a yearly special holiday indulgence or occasionally saving up calories for a big weekend indulgence. I'm talking About the desire to just eat too much with no planning or control)

I rarely ate with no control to begin with. However, I do miss spontaneity when I'm "on" the diet.

But I didn't approach this as a major lifestyle change or a forever thing. When I started the diet, I stuck with it for 16 weeks. And then I went off for a month. And then I went back on for another 16 weeks. And since then I've sort of been on for 2 or 3 weeks, and off for a week, and on again for 2 or 3 weeks, and off for a week, etc.

Interestingly, after the first 16 weeks, when I went off the diet for a month while travelling, I had a plan to eat large quantities of everything! :grin: But I couldn't!! I managed one bag of potato chips and found it so salty I couldn't eat another. I ordered a large plate of poutine ... and only managed to get about half of it down. I did eat donuts, but about half the amount I've eaten in the past. And I found myself ordering salads and steamed veggies and things with my meals.

Last weekend I was off the diet because we were travelling over the long weekend, and I figured I might stay off the diet this week too ... but both Tuesday and Wednesday I ate within my calorie limit. I thought about eating more but just wasn't that hungry.

I mentioned that I missed the spontaneity, and I do, but one other thing I've discovered is that being on the diet and eating my new usual collection and pattern of food reduces stress. I'm very busy with work and university etc., and eating certain foods at certain times is somehow comforting. I don't have to think about what's for lunch or anything ... food and eating just becomes background noise and I can focus on other more important things.

I've heard of poutine before but I didn't know what is was, so when you mentioned it in your post I Googled it. Poutine sounds heavenly! Where can I find cheese curds?

Cheese curds can sometimes be found in the dairy section near the cottage cheese, ricotta, and cream cheese. They'll be in a tub. :)

I've never actually made poutine at home, and when I lived in Canada, I only ate it on occasion in restaurants. It's one of those dishes that makes people gain weight just by looking at it. :grin:

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options

Look at this thread it's littered with people saying they're depressed, paranoid with eating, weight control. It sounds like they've exchanged one problem (overweight) for another.

Speaking for myself? Yep. But being overweight and the accompanying issues wasn't the only problem - there was the shame, and the guilt about stuffing my face at times. I just don't remember it very well as it's been over 3 years for me, BUT it's the feeling of being disgusted by eating so much food that pushed me to lose the weight, so it was very real.

I just think that it's completely unrealistic to expect to lose weight easily and maintain it without any effort - and that effort can take a toll on you too. There's a reason so many people gain the weight back. Most of us are not here because we just ate 100 extra calories a day. And most of us had our reasons to eat as much as we did... that doesn't necessarily go away when the weight does.

The bottom line is that it's not just rainbow and puppies and of course losing weight is going to be hard too. People just have to pick their hard. It just doesn't sound crazy to me that someone would be worried about gaining the weight back and thus feel guilty if they end up eating a bit too much some days (I mean, if I add up all the calories from the treats I've eaten the last few months, I'd be way under my goal without them!).
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    gramarye wrote: »

Also, @endlessfall16, we get it: you can eat whatever you want and never have any trouble with your weight management, you special snowflake. Clearly this thread offers you nothing, unless what you want is to continually disagree with people who are telling you that their experience is very different than yours.
    Not at all what I got from his comments.

I may be misreading him then. So far he's outside said, "So, why worry and miss out and "mourn" the lack of a couple all out treat days a month? Where's the confidence in your self control?," has called the OP dramatic for their sense of loss -- all the while talking about how much he can eat and how satisfied he is while still losing weight.

This would be fine, absent the context that he's doing it in response to a thread discussing if people struggle with how they cannot eat as much as they used to, in the way they used to. It strikes me as obtusely missing the point at best, and deliberately mean-spirited at worst.
    But those comments don't lead me to
    we get it: you can eat whatever you want and never have any trouble with your weight management, you special snowflake. Clearly this thread offers you nothing, unless what you want is to continually disagree with people who are telling you that their experience is very different than yours.
    They lead me to context: he's male, he's bigger, he CAN eat more, and he's not considering it "mourning" to do without. My own response to this thread was to say that I didn't consider it "mourning" but rather being an adult. And being an adult isn't always fun.
  • gramarye
    gramarye Posts: 586 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options

Also, @endlessfall16, we get it: you can eat whatever you want and never have any trouble with your weight management, you special snowflake. Clearly this thread offers you nothing, unless what you want is to continually disagree with people who are telling you that their experience is very different than yours.

I may be misreading him then. So far he's outside said, "So, why worry and miss out and "mourn" the lack of a couple all out treat days a month? Where's the confidence in your self control?," has called the OP dramatic for their sense of loss -- all the while talking about how much he can eat and how satisfied he is while still losing weight.

This would be fine, absent the context that he's doing it in response to a thread discussing if people struggle with how they cannot eat as much as they used to, in the way they used to. It strikes me as obtusely missing the point at best, and deliberately mean-spirited at worst.
    we get it: you can eat whatever you want and never have any trouble with your weight management, you special snowflake. Clearly this thread offers you nothing, unless what you want is to continually disagree with people who are telling you that their experience is very different than yours.
    They lead me to context: he's male, he's bigger, he CAN eat more, and he's not considering it "mourning" to do without. My own response to this thread was to say that I didn't consider it "mourning" but rather being an adult. And being an adult isn't always fun.

I 100% agree with you on the later -- being an adult sucks. I said as much in my own response; that it's less a mourning for me and more a nostalgia. But as an adult, I'm also allowed to express that this adulthood thing is *kitten* sometimes and I'm not happy about it.

I'm willing to concede that my "special snowflake" remark was off the mark. It was an emotional response to watching someone over and over again not understand the topic he's expounding in great detail on. Furthermore, where he says that people traded being overweight for being anxious -- a lot of us used to be both and only one of those goes away when you start counting calories.

So, I will apologize; I was being rude. But I stand behind the point that @endlessfall16 has also been condescending to people on the thread, apparently because he doesn't like the use of the word "mourn" to describe the mental aspect of how people are dealing with their relationship to food and how drastic a change to one's life it can be to change how you eat.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

I 100% agree with you on the later -- being an adult sucks. I said as much in my own response; that it's less a mourning for me and more a nostalgia. But as an adult, I'm also allowed to express that this adulthood thing is *kitten* sometimes and I'm not happy about it.

I'm willing to concede that my "special snowflake" remark was off the mark. It was an emotional response to watching someone over and over again not understand the topic he's expounding in great detail on. Furthermore, where he says that people traded being overweight for being anxious -- a lot of us used to be both and only one of those goes away when you start counting calories.

So, I will apologize; I was being rude. But I stand behind the point that @endlessfall16 has also been condescending to people on the thread, apparently because he doesn't like the use of the word "mourn" to describe the mental aspect of how people are dealing with their relationship to food and how drastic a change to one's life it can be to change how you eat.

Cheers. The special snowflake comment was what got my attention.

Onward with adulting!
  • gramarye
    Options

Onward with adulting!

Can I postpone the adulting, like, fifteen more minutes while I finish my coffee? :) Then I will adult the *kitten* out of my day-job here.
  • lml852014
    lml852014 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    No not really bc thats how I got here in the first place.
  • peggymenard
    peggymenard Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I mourn ice cream. It is addictive so I really have to watch the intake so I just stay away during the weigh loss period. I do crave something sweet in general and fruits don't cut it.
  • jaga13
    jaga13 Posts: 1,149 Member
    Options

Onward with adulting!

Can I postpone the adulting, like, fifteen more minutes while I finish my coffee? :) Then I will adult the *kitten* out of my day-job here.

I consider drinking coffee high on the Adulting To Do List.
  • lmew91
    lmew91 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Watching my significant other eat 3 tacos made with flour tortillas, lots of cheese and sour cream that he doesn't weigh or measure, isn't fun. BUT, being 30 lbs heavier than I am now wasn't fun either. I miss being able to just eat and not care about the calories or be mentally adding them up, but those days are gone for me. I'm much more aware now and even if I don't log my meal, I know roughly how many calories it is and I know how many I should be consuming. If I could eat whatever I wanted and not gain back any weight, I know I'd do it for a week or two, but then I'd feel like crap and remember that eating well isn't just about my weight, it's about my attitude and how I feel on the inside.
    (Doesn't mean that I don't miss eating two or three servings at dinner, sometimes...)
  • endlessfall16
    endlessfall16 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    I don't remember I made any negative remarks to anyone, like you do here with me, but that's fine. If anything, positive people will find that I were trying to convey a can-do attitude, have-it-all through some self discipline and willpower. I myself would never settle for the rigid counting, watching, avoiding friends and family to save calories. I got overweight in the first place because of the very problem of being isolated, lack of excitement (food pleasure is cheap and plenty). It's convoluted to me to lose wt and get back in that cycle.

But sorry everything fell on deaf ears. I start to realize that lots of people are talking on high emotions and things may not come across correctly. I have no problem moving on. Cheers.
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    I don't remember I made any negative remarks to anyone, like you do here with me, but that's fine. If anything, positive people will find that I were trying to convey a can-do attitude, have-it-all through some self discipline and willpower. I myself would never settle for the rigid counting, watching, avoiding friends and family to save calories. I got overweight in the first place because of the very problem of being isolated, lack of excitement (food pleasure is cheap and plenty). It's convoluted to me to lose wt and get back in that cycle.

But sorry everything fell on deaf ears. I start to realize that lots of people are talking on high emotions and things may not come across correctly. I have no problem moving on. Cheers.

So...sorry/not-sorry you were right and we're just not positive enough or we are too emotional to understand? That's not very adult of you, and I think we agreed we're all gonna be adults now...

*said in Trump accent* "I am gonna adult the h-- out of this. It's gonna be huge."
  • gramarye
    Options

Okay, two things:

1. It may shock the crowd to learn that though argumentative, I am a very optimistic and positive person. But I also have depression and anxiety. "a can-do attitude, have-it-all through some self discipline and willpower" is something mentally ill people hear a lot and it's supremely unhelpful. There's a lot of overlap between mentally ill people and heavy people. So, really, your message is for people who don't have any other emotional roadblocks. I'm honestly happy for you and them.

The negativity I perceive in your posts is the complete insistence that it's just about willpower and a good attitude, over and over again in the comments when other people say, "Okay, but it's not like that for me for this reason." It's very bootstrap-y. It assumes that we're all starting on even footing when we're very much not. Some people get to start their journey higher up on the mountain, and have less forest to cut through to get to the top. (That's not a great metaphor. They're not my strong-point.)

2. "But sorry everything fell on deaf ears." is not an apology, if that's what you're trying to do. It's a passive-aggressive jab at the people who don't agree with you for not being "open-minded" or "positive" enough to hear your message.
  • gramarye
    Options

So...sorry/not-sorry you were right and we're just not positive enough or we are too emotional to understand? That's not very adult of you, and I think we agreed we're all gonna be adults now...

*said in Trump accent* "I am gonna adult the h-- out of this. It's gonna be huge."

e2jcb9f2ida0.gif
  • endlessfall16
    endlessfall16 Posts: 932 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »

Speaking for myself? Yep. But being overweight and the accompanying issues wasn't the only problem - there was the shame, and the guilt about stuffing my face at times. I just don't remember it very well as it's been over 3 years for me, BUT it's the feeling of being disgusted by eating so much food that pushed me to lose the weight, so it was very real.

I just think that it's completely unrealistic to expect to lose weight easily and maintain it without any effort - and that effort can take a toll on you too. There's a reason so many people gain the weight back. Most of us are not here because we just ate 100 extra calories a day. And most of us had our reasons to eat as much as we did... that doesn't necessarily go away when the weight does.

The bottom line is that it's not just rainbow and puppies and of course losing weight is going to be hard too. People just have to pick their hard. It just doesn't sound crazy to me that someone would be worried about gaining the weight back and thus feel guilty if they end up eating a bit too much some days (I mean, if I add up all the calories from the treats I've eaten the last few months, I'd be way under my goal without them!).

I understand everything you said. That's one way to look at it. There are many other ways as well. How about: we assess the time, effort and amounts we ate to become overweight and see if 4-6 times/month (I don't know, prioritize the events) of freely dining can match it? For me the latter falls far short of it.

I'm aware that losing weight may be very hard. That's why one of my objectives is to NOT make it feel hard. I would never create and adopt a new eating habit, even if it gives me the weight and fitness I want, that would make me feel like I'm carrying a 100 lbs rock on my back everywhere.

You often hear people say that it should not be a diet but a new (eating) lifestyle. Sure, and this begs the question. Do you change all the important other parts of life to accommodate the new eating behavior or have the new eating behavior work around the rest? I pick and work on the latter. It's taking some discipline, willpower, thinking and creativity in my own experience.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,195 Member
    Options
    jaga13 wrote: »
    The great thing about counting calories is no particular food has to be off limits. I just have to not overeat each day. Most days I follow this rule, and been for overs year. But mentally it's a struggle every day. Even when I follow the plan, I still wish I could go crazy and eat recklessly. I'm not saying I do it (at least, not that often) but I WANT to. The habit of logging hasn't turned off the desire to overeat. I wish it would. I know overeating makes me feel awful and full in the short term, and obviously prevents my weight loss goals. But these desire is still there anyway.

Have you "mourned" overeating and completely moved past the desire to eat with no control? (I'm not talking about a yearly special holiday indulgence or occasionally saving up calories for a big weekend indulgence. I'm talking About the desire to just eat too much with no planning or control)

Not really.

I'm enjoying eating so much more now (and not because I'm hungry, but because I'm paying attention, and valuing it in a different way). And I'm enjoying the other parts more, too: Shopping for food, selecting the yummiest things, cooking them up in ways I love. I can't think why I'd want to go back to mindlessness and eating stuff that was, frankly, not tasty or satisfying, but simply there.

I'll admit to being a little bummed when a particular time period presents more really wonderful eating opportunities than my rational mind things I should wallow fully in, but that's about it. (I do wallow sometimes in the Good Stuff, but there have to be some limits.)

Generally, I'm much happier with my new approach to eating, and as a bonus I feel so much better overall.
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options

e2jcb9f2ida0.gif

GIF-Bro-cat-doing-high-five.gif