What foods truly keep you fuller longer?

Options
2»

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    I'm finding that by the end of the night I'm still hungry! I am steadily losing weight so I don't want to increase my calorie intake. I find my self so hungry by the end of the night that I blow the calories I had left as extras on junk food. So what health foods keep you fuller longer that still tastes good?

Protein, fiber and fat.

However, it's common to be hungry from setting overly aggressive weekly weight loss goals. How tall are you, how much weight do you want to lose, what is your weekly weight loss goal set to, how many calories per day are you eating, and what's your actual average weekly weight loss?
  • DrifterBear
    DrifterBear Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    protein, fat and fiber
  • HappyyMomOf4
    HappyyMomOf4 Posts: 7 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Oatmeal & my protein shake with a banana and flaxseed and 1 serving of almonds works for me
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    Complex carbohydrates...whole grain oats, brown rice, quinoa, potatoes and sweet potatoes, legumes, lentils, lots of veg, etc.
  • RollTideTri
    RollTideTri Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    Peanut butter sammich

with milk.

This for me too. So filling for some reason. And bonus: delicious! B)
    Also bananas. So much more filling to me than other fruit.
  • Dana_E
    Dana_E Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Refried beans are very filling for me. A spoonful of peanut butter is great, too.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Protein!!!! especially kinds of protein that had mothers. LOL

And of course fruit and veggies! The water based fruits (watermelon, etc..) not so much but bananas, pears, apples, and any kind of veggie you like make me full for hours.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    As others have said foods with protein, fat and fiber throughout your day can help you feel more satisfied.

Combining some foods together works better for me. Pizza or a burger with a salad is more filling. I find eggs to not be filling for me alone but combined with toast or vegetables they work better for me. A banana with peanut butter is good.
    A potato is pretty filling for me. Bean or lentil dishes. Broccoli or carrots. Popcorn instead of chips. Cottage cheese, Greek yogurt.

• zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Carbs that aren't fruits.
  • AlisonH729
    AlisonH729 Posts: 558 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    OP, I can relate. Sometimes a cup of tea can take the edge off. I've been drinking a lot of sugar free iced tea too (Wylers Peach to be specific) with dinner & after. And while yes, it has artificial sweeteners in it, I find it usually satisfies the sweet tooth that can creep up on me at night.
  • megbugs
    megbugs Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Second (or third) plain Greek yogurt with berries and a teaspoon local honey. Takes forever to eat and fills me up!
  • gember85
    gember85 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Fiber foods definitely x
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    Fat and protein for me. Baked salmon with a pat of butter over the top, yum.
  • MarvieBee
    MarvieBee Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I had the same problems at night when I was just starting the whole weight loss and eating healthy journey. It took me a while and I am actually still trying out a lot of things to overcome this. Though for the past months, I try to mix half-cup almond milk (dark chocolate), half-cup almond milk (unsweetened), and protein powder about 2 hours before going to bed. It seems to be working and good in keeping me full until I go to sleep. I mix 2 different milk because unsweetened almond milk has lower calorie, but the overall drink still tastes like chocolate. :)
    During the day, I try to eat half-cup of brown rice in the morning (or whole wheat bagel), and the other half-cup of brown rice for lunch. It makes me feel full, especially when I eat it with veggies and meat as protein.
  • laur357
    laur357 Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    Potatoes. Probably the fiber plus the comfort of carbohydrates. Roasting them with other vegetables like Brussels sprouts, cauliflower, or broccoli and a little oil and hot pepper flakes keeps the calories lower for a decent volume of food. A baked potato topped with salsa, seasoned black beans, and some shredded cheese or sour cream keeps me super full for a long time.