Weight loss frustration

Options
2»

Replies

• misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,767 Member
    Options
    If you only just started the circuit training, you're probably also retaining water.

I eat ice cream all the time. I have a nice bowl with the choc mint topping when I get home from the rink.
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,221 Member
    Options
    Well, I haven't gone to the extreme of actually weighing solid foods

This is not extreme and this is what almost everyone here is actually doing. And especially those of us who successfully lose weight.
    If you are frustrated like you say, I would really advise you to try at least for a while weighting EVERYTHING you eat and see how it goes. I can in fact promise you it is actually going to work if you do it properly :)

• chelseafxx
    chelseafxx Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Ok it's been a long time since I've started on MFP so I can't remember. Does MFP start you out at 1200 calories or something because every thread says 1200 calories and if that's the case they really need to fix that. Anyway, OP that doesn't sound like enough food. I would increase cals by 100 each week or every 2 weeks and watch your weight and do some trial and error. Fail a few more times so you can learn more about your body.
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    Why you need to weigh your food:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjKPIcI51lU
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    cathipa wrote: »
    Weigh everything. Even if you are just eating a bunch of fruits and veggies, those can add up. 10 pounds is a small amount, and if you're trying to lose that 10 from an already relatively low BMI, it's going to be more difficult that losing 10 pounds from an overweight or obese BMI. You'll have to be very accurate in logging.

You might see long periods of no loses, or even gain. Also, you just recently starting walking 5 miles and doing circuit training so your muscles might retain water to repair themselves from this new, increased activity level.

Also, you said you want to build a little muscle, and I really hope you mean just a very very very little, because a 1200 calories, that's about all you can expect. At 1200 calories, which is a very aggressive goal for 10 pounds anyway, you're actually more likely to experience muscle loss rather than buildings any, but if you do, it will be minimal. And to go with that desire to build muscle, muscle weighs more than fat, so if you were to increase your calories and do more strength training, you could see weight gain there. Don't be so focused on the 10 pounds. Be more focused on the results in the mirror. Take some pics, and keep measurements.

Agree with everything but this. 1 pound of muscle weighs the same as 1 pound of fat. Its just that a pound of fat takes up more space than a pound of muscle.

Therefore, the same VOLUME of muscle weighs less than the same VOLUME of fat. This is what people mean. No one has ever said, in any thread, that 1 pound of one thing weighs more than 1 pound of something else.
  • DearestWinter
    DearestWinter Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    chelseafxx wrote: »
    Ok it's been a long time since I've started on MFP so I can't remember. Does MFP start you out at 1200 calories or something because every thread says 1200 calories and if that's the case they really need to fix that. Anyway, OP that doesn't sound like enough food. I would increase cals by 100 each week or every 2 weeks and watch your weight and do some trial and error. Fail a few more times so you can learn more about your body.

I think many people who start will select the most aggressive plan so they lose as quickly as possible. MFP automatically goes no lower than 1,200 for women, which is why people who don't have as much to lose will post saying that's their daily allotment.

OP, adjust your plan so it's less aggressive. You have less to lose. You should be able to set it to .5 lbs/week.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Here's another short video

https://youtu.be/JVjWPclrWVY
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Well, I haven't gone to the extreme of actually weighing solid foods but I lost about 15 pounds a year or so ago doing the exact same thing except I'm actually a lot more active than I was then. I basically stick to a common sense low glycemic foods diet for the lost part.

Here is your problem then, not weighing = eating more than you think.

When we've only around 10lbs to lose weight loss is slow and best done at .5lb per week so we don't lose too much muscle along with the fat.

Being active is good, helps create more deficit for one thing. If you start logging accurately again you will lose those lbs.

All the best :smile:
  • bethcothern
    bethcothern Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Thank you
  • biosciencegal
    biosciencegal Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    bump
  • ReaderGirl3
    ReaderGirl3 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    Well, I haven't gone to the extreme of actually weighing solid foods but I lost about 15 pounds a year or so ago doing the exact same thing except I'm actually a lot more active than I was then. I basically stick to a common sense low glycemic foods diet for the lost part.

Weighing your food isn't extreme, it's being accurate. It doesn't matter what kinds of foods you're eating- if you're eating too many calories you won't lose weight.

Accurately log your food intake, accurately measure out portion sizes on a food scale set to grams, and then stick to the calories number MFP sets for you. That's all that you need to do to lose weight.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your reply. I am soon to be 45 and have recently noticed my energy level has gone down and I don't have the strength I once did. I weigh 139 and I'm 5'3" and have a medium frame. I don't look overweight but I feel like I am all flab and don't have a lot of stamina as I once did. I will sometimes go over in my calories if I have been very active during the day. I will start weighing my food. Thanks for the tips.
    I think body recomposition would be best for you instead of losing weight. Basically, this is eating at your maintenance level while doing a progressive heavy lifting program such as stronglifts 5x5 or strongcurves.