Anti-inflammation Diet

lrw722
lrw722 Posts: 3 Member
Hi,
I'm trying to connect with those who follow an anti-inflammation diet. What foods work for you and what foods do you avoid (cause flare ups)? Looking for any tips and tricks to help reduce flare ups.
Thanks!

Replies

• leahkathleen13
    leahkathleen13 Posts: 272 Member
    All vegetables are great, berries, whole grains as long as you are not allergic.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    No nightshades (tomatoes, potatoes, etc) they are very inflammatory
  • mamafazz
    mamafazz Posts: 92 Member
    No grains, no sugar, no dairy I believe. So basically paleo
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    My small library had books (plural) on this diet.
    Pass by yours and see what they have to offer?
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Spices like turmeric and ginger - I go for more Indian food like millet and lentils
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    lrw722 wrote: »
    Hi,
    I'm trying to connect with those who follow an anti-inflammation diet. What foods work for you and what foods do you avoid (cause flare ups)? Looking for any tips and tricks to help reduce flare ups.
    Thanks!

@Irw722 welcome to MFP forums. I have had Ankylosing Spondylitis for most of my life causing much pain and deformities. In 2014 with things going down hill fast I was facing starting some meds that would have been risky to even a healthy person. On a hunch I left sugar and all forms of grains cold turkey Oct 2014. In just 30 days my pain levels of around 7-8 dropped to 2-3 and now 19 months later at the age of 64 my health markers are better than when I was 45 and a lot of long term health issues like IBS,etc have fully resolved. Needless to say I keep eating this way (keeping total carbs <50 grams daily) because it has given new hope to my life.

We are all different but if we have inflammation that is triggered directly or indirectly by food it is awesome to learn what not to eat and get on with life. Best of success.
  • lrw722
    Thanks for all the advice! I have been taking tumeric cercumin daily and watching the foods that cause inflammation. So if night shades,grains,sugar and dairy are triggers what are good foods for snacks on the go?
  • serenityfrye
    serenityfrye Posts: 360 Member
    I also find I can't do dairy, gluten or sugar or starches without inflammation. I take nuts and fruit for a snack or hard boiled eggs. Hummus and veggies for dipping. Things along those lines.
  • HippySkoppy
    HippySkoppy Posts: 725 Member
    Most definitely nightshades for me, particularly potatoes and capsicums. I don't eat gluten either and have to be extremely careful about the amount of grains from other sources in my diet. I also cannot eat chocolate or do colourings etc.

Depending on your condition there could be other confounding factors too: thinking along the lines of chemicals that you apply to your skin and wash your clothes in or even spray around your house. Uv exposure is another huge one for me and guaranteed to cause a flare.

Food for me is pretty simple, home cooked always with lots of veggies and leanish proteins. I have subbed in pumpkin for potatoes. Eating out is a nightmare and one I rarely indulge in.

Depending on your condition have a look further out for other factors and keep a trigger diary if you can, it can help plot your pain reactions and give you a clearer picture of what is happening in your case.

Stress, poor sleeping
  • krissyl72
    krissyl72 Posts: 17 Member
    I have been drinking hot water mixed with ground cinnamon, turmeric, and ginger too and it totally helps! I have RA and when I had a recent bad flare up I found this recipe on line and it worked wonders. I am also steering away from all red meat now and I haven't had any recent inflammation since.
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    lrw722 wrote: »
    Thanks for all the advice! I have been taking tumeric cercumin daily and watching the foods that cause inflammation. So if night shades,grains,sugar and dairy are triggers what are good foods for snacks on the go?
    Nuts, if you tolerate them well.

• Traveler120
    Traveler120 Posts: 712 Member
    In general, eat less animal foods and more plant foods.
  • kurzap
    kurzap Posts: 20 Member
    We try and eat wild Alaskan salmon once a week and feel it helps with inflammation. I've had scolosis most of my life and have inflammation issues, also gentle yoga. Best
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    I do not know why but stuff cooked on a charcoal or gas grille tends to make my joint pain tick up and for me to feel like I have less energy the next morning. This has been going on for 20+ years so I do not think it is remotely connected to LCHF WOE.
  • lrw722
    krissyl72 wrote: »
    I have been drinking hot water mixed with ground cinnamon, turmeric, and ginger too and it totally helps! I have RA and when I had a recent bad flare up I found this recipe on line and it worked wonders. I am also steering away from all red meat now and I haven't had any recent inflammation since.

Can you explain the hot tea drink? Flare up in progress and would like to try it. Thanks
  • shaumom
    shaumom Posts: 1,003 Member
    I use a lot of recipes from this gal: http://thelowhistaminechef.com
    She has an anti-inflammatory cookbook

Her site looks so slick I expect snake oil salesman stuff, but I actually met her online through a support forum for a disorder we both share, and some of what she has on there has helped me immensely.

That said, you might have some help looking at what are called mast cell stabilizing flavonoids. Mast cells are what release, or cause the release of, mediators that cause inflammation (like prostaglandins). Mast cell stabilizers are substances that make mast cells less likely to release the mediators, basically. Two well known ones are quercetin and luteolin.

You can find lists of high quercetin and high luteolin foods online, frequently. They are usually veggies, fruits, or herbs/leaves. One I take is olive leaf tea (I pick the leaves myself) which is high in both luteolin and quercetin. Commonly drunk in the mediterranean as a regular drink, actually. It takes effect within 2 weeks for most folks who are just trying to lower inflammation, if it's going to do anything. Thyme is another good one ( i know some folks who take thyme juice), apples are another, ginger is another.

But adding in a lot of fresh herbs to the diet tends to increase the flavonoids in general and can be helpful added to whatever else you are eating. :-) I started an herb garden because they are so expensive otherwise, you know?