It "Doesn't Work"

Options
13»

Replies

• ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    I see how they're trying to hate on calorie counting in order to sell their product, but I think it backfires.

It's really a great advertisement for why you need a FOOD SCALE!
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    That image is imprecise and push people away from successful true calorie counting. It mentions 'medium apple' and stupid 'measurements' like that.. Of course calorie counting won't work that way! Jeez. It doesn't mention weighing food, so it is total BS. Of course, they're trying to sell something and that is why they are trying to steer people away from calorie counting which is a tool that actually works if it is used correctly, and it is.... Free.
  • kirstenb13
    kirstenb13 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    It works great for me and that's all I care about.
    But where the heck did they find a 705 kcal sweet potato, that's 800g! I don't think I have ever seen one that big.
  • keithcw_the_first
    keithcw_the_first Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    cityruss wrote: »
    Although, in a roundabout way that's a good example of why we should be weighing in grams.

That was my takeaway too, since I've seen success with counting calories. This is just a reminder that imprecise estimates are imprecise.
  • keithcw_the_first
    Options
    Boiling an egg adds calories? Color me skeptical.

Right? Since when do cooking utensils add calories? These fattening pots, pans, knives, and blenders gotta go.

Fun fact: I notice that when I heat up my corn tortillas, they shrink...
    I've weighed before and after, and they weigh less after...

But I still log the before weight.

That would have to be moisture cooking out, right? It can't be more than a few grams.
  • keithcw_the_first
    Options
    I do think the "available calories" thing is interesting, though. Cooking food was a major innovation for humans. It does some of the work that would have been done in digestion, so you gain back energy that would have been lost breaking the food down. I don't think it's a reason to buy their product, just an interesting note.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,525 Member
    Options
    besaro wrote: »
    they left out a key component, weighing food.
    THIS.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    kirstenb13 wrote: »
    It works great for me and that's all I care about.
    But where the heck did they find a 705 kcal sweet potato, that's 800g! I don't think I have ever seen one that big.

Texas, probably.

That's not even a joke - sweet potatoes grow like gangbusters here. I have to search for ones small enough to be 2 servings or less. I don't like the bigger ones, they tend to be fibrous and take forever to bake.
  • DoreenaV1975
    DoreenaV1975 Posts: 567 Member
    Options

Right? Since when do cooking utensils add calories? These fattening pots, pans, knives, and blenders gotta go.

That would have to be moisture cooking out, right? It can't be more than a few grams.

Well yeah... that's why I called it a "fun fact" and said that I still log the pre-cooked weight... :|
    I wasn't suggesting anything otherwise so not sure why you would say what you said...but whatevs
  • keithcw_the_first
    Options

Well yeah... that's why I called it a "fun fact" and said that I still log the pre-cooked weight... :|
    I wasn't suggesting anything otherwise so not sure why you would say what you said...but whatevs

I... think you're misreading my tone. I wasn't being antagonistic.
  • DoreenaV1975
    DoreenaV1975 Posts: 567 Member
    Options

I... think you're misreading my tone. I wasn't being antagonistic.

okay... sorry
  • robdowns1300
    robdowns1300 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Clearly, the "Diet Industry" is getting scared of MFP & its obvious successes.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Every time I see this thread bumped I think they've finally accurately renamed the "ItWorks" products.

Now I'm just sad.
  • shinycrazy
    shinycrazy Posts: 1,081 Member
    Options
    I've lost over 28 pounds counting calories... I guess that makes me a "special snowflake"... :p

Ditto here, only 109lbs gone. Must be a fluke! Lol!