"Pick me up" after lunch

Options
13»

Replies

• butterfli7o
    butterfli7o Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    Flavored teas are great.
    Can you buy some creamer or milk to keep at work?
    I sometimes get the same way around 3. I'll have a Coke Zero or a tuna packet at my desk...very little calories, a nice shot of protein. The tuna comes in all flavors and nothing needs to be added.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    I have a diet soda and a protein bar. Or a black coffee.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,986 Member
    Options
    So I work 8-5 and take my lunch around 12:30pm and we get an hour. I go to the gym on Wednesdays for half an hour and do an intense workout with my trainer and eat my lunch at my desk. However, as soon as it hits 3pm I am extremely tired!! A lot of people told me to drink tea, but I don't like tea at all. Have any suggestions?

Is it only Wednesdays after working with your trainer that you are really tired at 3 PM, or is it every work day?
  • kshama2001
    Options
    I heard good things about ACV so do you just mix it in? I also heard cranberry juice is good for you? Anyone tried it?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/cranberry-juice-and-uti-no-evidence_us_56be2ce6e4b0b40245c67ea3

...“Cranberry juice, especially the juice concentrates you find at the grocery store, will not treat a UTI or bladder infection,” said Dr. Timothy Boone in a statement. “It can offer more hydration and possibly wash bacteria from your body more effectively, but the active ingredient in cranberry is long-gone by the time it reaches your bladder.”

Le sigh. The myth may have started with a somewhat sensible hunch, but just doesn’t turn out to be true. As A&M explains, cranberries contain an active ingredient called proanthocyanidins, or PACS, that can keep bacteria from binding to the walls of the bladder. The catch is, PACs aren’t present in commercial cranberry juice.

“It takes an extremely large concentration of cranberry to prevent bacterial adhesion,” Boone said. “This amount of concentration is not found in the juices we drink. There’s a possibility it was stronger back in our grandparents’ day, but definitely not in modern times.”

You may have seen cranberry capsules in the pharmacy aisle. These do have a concentrated amount of PACs and can help prevent the risk of UTIs. According to a study published in the American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology, cranberry capsules reduced the risk of UTIs by 50 percent in women who had a catheter in place while undergoing gynecological surgery.
  • 12by311
    12by311 Posts: 1,716 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Plenty of protein and fiber at lunch with some coffee - no more 3pm pick me up needed.

This is what I suggest. When I changed what I was eating at lunch is when I stopped crashing at 2:15 p.m. (that was my crash time).
  • krishnap1104
    krishnap1104 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Usually every day, I go on a walk during my lunch for 30 minutes and it is at a moderate pace. Today I had an Asian Sesame salad from Panera (half portion) and I feel pretty good! I think it has about 25g of protein.
  • kshama2001
    Options
    Usually every day, I go on a walk during my lunch for 30 minutes and it is at a moderate pace. Today I had an Asian Sesame salad from Panera (half portion) and I feel pretty good! I think it has about 25g of protein.

Great! Glad to hear it :)