Is it ok to eat those 2 oreos you've been craving if you jump on the elliptical and burn the 140 cal

Options
Just curious how many others do this??? I've already reached my calorie limit for the day but I've been drooling for some oreos all week... can eat em then burn em off?

Replies

• ZLARZ
    ZLARZ Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Well, whenever I craved sweets I'd have a little but then burn it off. But then I recently saw some thing where a woman said it's not the same and that's no way to lose weight. I just assumed calorie intake/calorie deficit it's all the same when it comes to weight loss. I know junk food isn't good for you though before anyone states that lol
  • ZLARZ
    Options
    My cal intake limit is so low. It's hard to fit it in, so I do have to work for "treats".
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    ZLARZ wrote: »
    My cal intake limit is so low. It's hard to fit it in, so I do have to work for "treats".

Best of luck on your journey.
  • ZLARZ
    Options
    i used to have treats, then go for a long walk. i kept losing, and that was when i was on 1200 calories per day.

or you could try some flavors of quest bars like cookies and cream, chocolate chip cookie dough or double chocolate chunk. not everyone likes all flavors, but these are yummy to me, and since they're a protein supplement, you can have them as the protein part of a meal. i do about 6 tiny meals per day, so i sometimes have half a quest bar instead of a whole one, but they do seem to satisfy my chocolate cravings.

I'm on 1200 limit too. I think I need to switch to 6 small meals a day instead of 3. Cuz I do get hungry between then now. I've lost 40 lbs since jan 21st. It's starting to slow down tho and starting to get hungry
  • solska
    solska Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Yes, if you are mainly counting calories. Not ideal if you are on a ketogenic diet.
  • ZLARZ
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    You can do what you are describing, but rather than approaching it as if you have to burn off the food or earn it, you could just use MFP as designed. When you exercise you should be eating back at least a portion of those calories. It's not "burning off the bad food" or "earning your treats", that sounds like you are training a dog. It's just part of your overall plan. Set a reasonable goal for your total amount of weight you're trying to lose. Eat a variety of foods within that calorie goal, focusing on satiating nutrient dense foods but there's nothing wrong with Oreos or any food in moderation. Exercise if you enjoy it, eating back at least a portion of those calories.

What are your stats (height, weight, goal weight and rate of loss)? 1200 cals is the lowest recommended calorie amount for women and many people can lose weight eating far more than that. I lost 30 lbs and never ate less than 1600 cals. Plenty of Oreos, pizza, and wine too. I didn't earn them or punish myself for eating them. I just worked them into my plan.

Good

Starting weight 185
    Current 146
    Height 5'7
    Goal 130
    I've been losing about 3 lbs a week, but this month has slowed down a bit and I've noticed I'm hungrier now between meals where I used to be fine.
  • ZLARZ
    Options
    You can do what you are describing, but rather than approaching it as if you have to burn off the food or earn it, you could just use MFP as designed. When you exercise you should be eating back at least a portion of those calories. It's not "burning off the bad food" or "earning your treats", that sounds like you are training a dog. It's just part of your overall plan. Set a reasonable goal for your total amount of weight you're trying to lose. Eat a variety of foods within that calorie goal, focusing on satiating nutrient dense foods but there's nothing wrong with Oreos or any food in moderation. Exercise if you enjoy it, eating back at least a portion of those calories.

What are your stats (height, weight, goal weight and rate of loss)? 1200 cals is the lowest recommended calorie amount for women and many people can lose weight eating far more than that. I lost 30 lbs and never ate less than 1600 cals. Plenty of Oreos, pizza, and wine too. I didn't earn them or punish myself for eating them. I just worked them into my plan.

Good

Starting weight 185
    Current 146
    Height 5'7
    Goal 130
    I've been losing about 3 lbs a week, but this month has slowed down a bit and I've noticed I'm hungrier now between meals where I used to be fine.

I eat a 1200 cal diet a day. I always crave sweets tho and pizza! I've done so well so far I don't want to up my cals...
  • itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    i missed how little you have left to lose. definitely switch MFP to lose 1/2 pound per day - your body will thank you!
  • ZLARZ
    Options
    With less than 15 lbs to lose your goal should be half a pound/week. 3 lbs/week is far too aggressive, no wonder you are hungry all the time! Losing weight quickly may sound great but you are likely losing more muscle than necessary and when you reach your goal weight, may have difficulty transitioning to maintenance.

What is your exercise like? Do you log it? You must not be eating those back so you are netting below 1200 cals. Definitely not good...

I work out 30 mins to hour 5 times a week. Zumba, elliptical, jogging, walking, jillian michaels dvd. I log it all. I always end my day wi th 1200 cals. I either go over and work it off or if I have cals left over I eat.
  • ZLARZ
    Options
    With less than 15 lbs to lose your goal should be half a pound/week. 3 lbs/week is far too aggressive, no wonder you are hungry all the time! Losing weight quickly may sound great but you are likely losing more muscle than necessary and when you reach your goal weight, may have difficulty transitioning to maintenance.

What is your exercise like? Do you log it? You must not be eating those back so you are netting below 1200 cals. Definitely not good...

I work out 30 mins to hour 5 times a week. Zumba, elliptical, jogging, walking, jillian michaels dvd. I log it all. I always end my day wi th 1200 cals. I either go over and work it off or if I have cals left over I eat.

I use my heart rate monitor to determine how many I burned. I know it's not exact bit it's better than what the machine will tell me. ;)