Another tip from Jillian Michaels: Think your metabolism's g

megz4987
megz4987 Posts: 1,008 Member
given up on you?***

What she says seems like an awful lot for some people... I'd like to know what you guys think!

Q: I've tried every diet under the sun in my life, and I'm really afraid I've ruined my metabolism. I seem to gain weight no matter what I eat now! Is there any way to fix this?
A:
This is such a good question — I'm so glad you asked! Many people suffer from the backlash that can result from years of yo-yo diets. What happens is this: When people let their calorie levels drop too low, their body's survival mechanism kicks in, lowering their metabolic set point (or basal metabolic rate). When they go off that crash diet and begin to eat normally again, they gain back any weight lost — plus. And what follows that? Yup, another crash diet.

The cycle is often very frustrating, but it CAN be reversed with time, consistency, and patience. What you'll need to do is the exact opposite of what we call shocking the metabolism; you have to allow your body time to adapt to a new metabolic set point — by being consistent, you'll force your body to adapt.

Okay, here's the game plan: First, set your daily caloric intake at 12 calories per pound of body weight. (For example, my weight is 117; 117 x 12 = 1,404 calories a day.) Then stick like glue to that calorie allowance for at least one to two months, depending on your metabolism. This will allow your body time to readjust your metabolic set point accordingly.

Now, here's the other part of the equation: The absolute best way to pump up your metabolism is to EXERCISE. You'll be burning calories not only during your workout but also up to 48 hours after — all the while increasing lean muscle tissue, which speeds the metabolism over the long term. Aim for five hours of exercise a week if possible, but no fewer than three hours a week

Replies

• ashleigh2311
    ashleigh2311 Posts: 105 Member
    First, set your daily caloric intake at 12 calories per pound of body weight.

eh?!
    that is 700 cals a day over what MFP recommends as my daily allowance!
    i would be a whale if i did this!
  • pelleld
    pelleld Posts: 363 Member
    bumping for later reading
  • sunnycam
    sunnycam Posts: 71 Member
    I'm scared that I will gain weight! Has anyone tried this?

It makes sense.. I imagine my weight would go up initially, but then start leveling off...but how long does it take?
  • luelue1971
    luelue1971 Posts: 23 Member
    Wow. That would be over 2400 calories for me per day. I'm almost certain I would gain a lot of weight doing that for 2 months. But if the goal is to reset your metabolism maybe your not supposed to lose necessarily during that time. I guess the exercise would be needed to burn off the excess.

It's an interesting idea however.
  • cessnaholly
    cessnaholly Posts: 784 Member
    I dunno about others but that 12 x weight = calories seems a little high to me.

At 213, MFP says I shoud be eating 1300 calories. 12 x 213 = 2556. That just doesn't sound right to me.
  • thefreemans28
    thefreemans28 Posts: 267 Member
    This is great information! Thanks for posting.
  • amhyb8
    amhyb8 Posts: 6
    12 * my weight equals waaaay to many calories!
  • megz4987
    megz4987 Posts: 1,008 Member
    On one side, I agree it sounds RIDICULOUSLY high but if it's meant to reset your metabolism, take it out of starvation and allow your body to function properly again, I suppose to makes sense.
  • tlems
    tlems Posts: 104 Member
    Really? 12 cals per pound? I must research this more.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member

eh?!

The same is true for me, but she was answering a question about people that have thrown their metabolism out of whack, not the average person wanting to lose weight. I thought it sounded like pretty good advice. But better advice would have been to talk to a doctor, as anyone with a health issue should before beginning a weight loss program.
  • ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    She doesnt mention eating back the calories though. and she wants you to workout so you should burn at least 300 a day. But maybe she was talking with a smaller person. For me is sounds fine i would be at 1700 calories by this and with workouts it would drop down my calories to 1200 to 1400 a day.
  • irishwitch
    irishwitch Posts: 21
    Wow that's around 2200 calories for me. I don't think I can eat that many. I have enough trouble just eating 1400 calories a day. And that isn't even eating all my workout calories back.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    On one side, I agree it sounds RIDICULOUSLY high but if it's meant to reset your metabolism, take it out of starvation and allow your body to function properly again, I suppose to makes sense.

Right, I don't think she was saying you'd lose any weight eating those calories. I read it as you need to do this to reset BEFORE trying to lose weight.
  • babs23
    babs23 Posts: 86
    She's NOT saying that you should eat like that forever... but if you're metabolism is out of whack, do it for 2 months to reset.

After the reset, THEN start creating a calorie deficit. At least that's how I read it. Am I wrong?

ETA - glad other people are reading it that way too! ALSO, I don't think this is meant for everyone either.
  • Gettinfit2
    Gettinfit2 Posts: 254 Member
    I think the formula is for maintenance. The objective is resetting the metabolism. Eating over 2000 calories a day is probably fine if the focus is whole foods and not sub-foods. Throw in some execise and the body wil adjust.
  • Just1forMe
    Just1forMe Posts: 624 Member

eh?!

Not if you did it only for 4-8 weeks at the beginning of trying to lose weight...what she says makes a lot of sense. It's taken me 2.5 years of calorie counting & eating back my exercise calories to get mine back to "almost normal". Probably would have been better to do it her way...

One more good reason to eat back your exercise calories...otherwise it's just another "crash diet" where you are way undereating and screwing up your metabolism.
  • brknllama
    brknllama Posts: 113 Member
    like everyone said...over 2100 calories, i would for sure gain weight
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    She's NOT saying that you should eat like that forever... but if you're metabolism is out of whack, do it for 2 months to reset.

After the reset, THEN start creating a calorie deficit. At least that's how I read it. Am I wrong?

ETA - glad other people are reading it that way too! ALSO, I don't think this is meant for everyone either.

That's mainly how I read it too--she's putting people in maintenance mode at 12 calories per pound of body weight, and calculating that you'll exercise at least 3 hours per week and hoping you'll exercise for 5 hours per week for the deficit.
  • First, set your daily caloric intake at 12 calories per pound of body weight.

eh?!

I so agree with you, that is tough becasue it is almost 1000 calories over what MFP recommends I take it. If I ate like that for a month or two I would 1 to 2xs what I weigh now and that is so not an option. So, why can't we eat the recommened amount that MFP recommends for that 1-2months and our metabolism adjust to that? Just a question?

Have a Great Day!
  • cassondraragan
    cassondraragan Posts: 233 Member
    You aren't supposed to be losing weight while you are resetting your metabolism. Also, your daily allowance by MFP is for weight loss mode. I am 201 lbs, and if I wanted to maintain my weight (right now that is) I'd still get 2060 calories. If I muliplied 201 x12= 2412. But she didn't say just up your calories and that is it. She said then you have to EXERCISE to increase your metabolism. So if you exercised and burned even half of those extra calories (200) your body still burns at a higher rate after exercise, so you would burn close to that other 200 calories (I'm using my own numbers here.) I'm just saying she isn't saying that you just up your calories. She says up your calories and then exercise. And you shouldn't compare the calorie deficit from your MFP weight loss calorie goal. And you will gain a couple of lbs for the first week or two, but then once your bodies "fire" starts burning hotter again, then the weight will start falling again. But this is for people who have really screwed up their metabolism by eating <800lbs for long periods.