I think my scale is always wrong.

Options

Replies

• shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    I'm wondering why anyone would step on the scale a second time after weighing once? I don't even know if my scale would give 2 consecutive readings, because I assume the 1st reading it gives me is right.
    @tiffanifair
    I have to move mine (not enough room to have it out all the time) and the instructions say it takes 3 weighs to get it re calibrated if it's been moved. Sometimes I will get the same weight 4 x in a row and sometimes the first step on will be outrageously high (like 10 lbs high) then go down to the expected range subsequent times.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    mitch16 wrote: »
    kaaaayla wrote: »
    Alluminati wrote: »
    You have a battery store?

Yeah, it's called Batteries Plus. Ha it's a chain. Pretty sure it's all over America, at least. Makes it a lot easier than buying batteries at the Walmart or wherever because you can just bring in whatever you have and they'll unscrew your cover, change your batteries, safely dispose of the old ones. Good for electronics that take special batteries, or if you're not exactly sure what kind you need.

You're paying for convenience... Prices there are about 4x what they are at Home Depot or Target for the exact same battery.

Yep, exactly.

I think I'll just go ahead and "bust out the screwdriver" rather than pay $10 for a $2 battery.....that and the nearest one looks like it's about 35 min away.
  • EddieP50
    EddieP50 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I tried 3 new scales and two of them would weigh about 2 pounds heavier than the 3rd scale. Those two scales would sometimes give different readings each time you stepped on it. I tested them weighing on the tile in the bathroom and on the linoleum in the kitchen. The 3rd one was also close to the weight of my old scale but the old scale weighed in .5 pound increments where the new one is .2 pound increments. If you move it you have to weigh once to re-calibrate it but after that it always measures the same each time. It is within 1/2 pound the scale at the doctor's office also. The link below is the scale that I went with.

amazon.com/EatSmart-Precision-Premium-Bathroom-Technology/dp/B002MK6QKO?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00
  • ktekc
    ktekc Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    I keep my scale on the hardwood floor in the living room because i have no room in my bathroom for it. I wander out every morning in my undies, weigh myself, go feed the fish and weigh myself again. . . if the numbers are different i do it one more time and take an average and log that into libra. works well so far.
  • sympha01
    sympha01 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    I bought a scale 3 years ago that did this. I complained to the manufacturer and they were quick to suggest it was a flaw in the scale and they replaced it for me free of charge. New scale worked fine.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    I hope you haven't already wasted your money on a battery. Digital home use scales are inherently inaccurate and they make no claim to being closer than 1% of accurate. scoobiesworkshop.com has a demonstration of it. The Health-O-Meter mechanical balance-beam scale at your Dr's office is the most accurate body weight measuring system you can get for under $200. While I don't recommend you do get one of those, just accept that the first reading of your digital scale is like a hurricane cone of uncertainty from the NOAA. The number it gives you is close, and you're not going to get closer even if it gives you another number.
  • kaaaayla
    kaaaayla Posts: 91 Member
    Options

Yeah, it's called Batteries Plus. Ha it's a chain. Pretty sure it's all over America, at least. Makes it a lot easier than buying batteries at the Walmart or wherever because you can just bring in whatever you have and they'll unscrew your cover, change your batteries, safely dispose of the old ones. Good for electronics that take special batteries, or if you're not exactly sure what kind you need.

You're paying for convenience... Prices there are about 4x what they are at Home Depot or Target for the exact same battery.

Yeah, i never said money was my problem. I'll take convenience, thanks
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    I googled it and it's Batteries Plus Bulbs.

Sadly, there is none in my entire state.
  • allenpriest
    allenpriest Posts: 1,102 Member
    Options

Of course. What kind of miserable place doesn't! ! ;)
  • allenpriest
    Options
    Scamd83 wrote: »
    I wish my town had a battery store.

If my town didn't have a battery store, then I would just move. :)
  • allenpriest
    Options
    auddii wrote: »
    jemhh wrote: »
    I'm fascinated by the idea of a store dedicated just to batteries.

You can likely find those batteries at the grocery store. They might be on a rack in the medicine section. The same rack that holds hearing aid batteries. (Basing this on my tiny town's grocery store's layout.)

https://www.batteriesplus.com/

I have found the batteries for digital scales at the grocery store, but last time I sent the fiance out for some, he had to go to three different stores. A walmart, target, or similar store would likely have them.

That's where he SAID he went. MAYBE that was just an excuse. ..
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    A lot of scales do that if you step slightly forward or backward on them. My old one showed lower at the front and higher if I step back a bit (on separate measurements)
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    If they're was a store here that advertised that you could bring your "appliance" in, and they would change the batteries for you and test it, I'm not sure i could help myself.

Ifyaknowwhatimean...
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    If they're was a store here that advertised that you could bring your "appliance" in, and they would change the batteries for you and test it, I'm not sure i could help myself.

Ifyaknowwhatimean...

Hmmmmm?
  • ashleyjongepier
    ashleyjongepier Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    If you are using your scale on a carpeted floor it's probably causing your weird readings. Find a wooden or hard surface to put it on (I have carpet everywhere but my kitchen so I go there to weigh every day). I always weigh 3 times on the scale. Once I put my digital scale on a flat surface that had no padding under it the readings were dead-on accurate every time.

Does anyone weigh on carpet? I thought like 99% of people weigh in the bathroom, which I think is very rarely carpet now days. Mine is on linoleum, so that's not the problem. Thank you though.

carpet tends to disperse your weight, so you weigh in way lighter. EX. I weight around 210, if I step on a scale on carpet I weigh 180.

My scale did the same as yours before I stopped using one (monthly), I took the highest number.

• mccarol1956
    mccarol1956 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    One thing that will make a difference is where you are standing on the scale! Try to put a mark on your scale so you stand in the exact place each time. Also the further you lean on the scare the more different the weight will be! I do not care if my scales are the same as somewhere else as long as m I am losing the same amount on all scales! One may say you weight 250 lbs, another 245, and yet another 257. As long as every time you weigh and lose or gain it is the same amount of loss/gain on each scale that is what matters :)
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    I feel the same about my retirement account . . .
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    I feel the same about my retirement account . . .

Stop checking it every day ;)