Pain

Okay so I have been doing this for a while and I recently started having a lot of pain in my right leg if I go to walk too fast or step up on my toes I have a very sharp pain in my right leg. I am logging all my food, weighing it and still trying to exercise but I haven't been able to get thru the exercising for even 10 minutes at a time....my question is if I keep at or under my daily calories but can't exercise what are my chances of losing weight

Replies

• corsayre8
    corsayre8 Posts: 551 Member
    Yes, you can still lose weight without exercise. If you are in a deficit, you will lose weight. However, you may want to go for a slower, less aggressive deficit. Large deficits can lead to losing lean muscle mass, and you will be less likely to maintain muscle without exercise.
  • synchkat
    synchkat Posts: 37,368 Member
    Have you been to a doctor about the pain? Could be that you have a shin splint or you might just need new shoes even. Old worn down shoes can do a number on the feet and legs
  • kansascutie81
    kansascutie81 Posts: 53 Member
    corsayre8 wrote: »
    Yes, you can still lose weight without exercise. If you are in a deficit, you will lose weight. However, you may want to go for a slower, less aggressive deficit. Large deficits can lead to losing lean muscle mass, and you will be less likely to maintain muscle without exercise.

Right now on this app my daily calories is like 1450 I'm assuming that's with a deficit I try to get as close to that everyday and even now I try to push myself into doing exercise but the pain is completely unbareable and at times leaves me in tears
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    You don't need to exercise to lose weight especially if you are in pain. Your body is telling you to stop!
  • EddieP50
    EddieP50 Posts: 192 Member
    For the first 6 months of my diet I did not exercise and lost over 42 pounds just counting calories and staying within my goal. I also use a digital kitchen scale for weighing food. Only within the last 3 weeks have a started exercising with a stationary bike.
  • kansascutie81
    I have a digital kitchen scale as well. I weigh and measure everything I pay close attention to food labels and always stay either at or under my daily calorie intake but the pain is preventing me from doing any amount of activity especially walking or running or even squats. I just tried to and when I got off my back my right leg gave out on me and I was instantly in tears. I am not laying in bed with a heating pad on the leg to see if it helps
  • queenliz99
    I have RA and sometimes I have a flare up, when I do I don't exercise.
  • kansascutie81
    queenliz99 wrote: »

I think I may have picked a nerve
  • mccarol1956
    mccarol1956 Posts: 422 Member
    Go to a doctor and do not exercise until you do!
  • kansascutie81
    My husband told me the same thing, but it's hard not to exercise I have a lot of bad body image emotions I still see myself as bigger than I am. If I eat like a cup of ice cream I feel like I have to exercise for an hour
  • capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    @kansascutie81 If you're having that hard a time not exercising, why not Google some chair exercises that you can do sitting down until your leg heals up? Even if the calorie burn isn't much, it's still something and it might help you take your mind off it enough to heal up.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    All you need to do to lose weight is to eat at a deficit. If you are in pain after a week, see a doctor. Exercise should result in some soreness, not in pain.
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,281 Member
    My husband told me the same thing, but it's hard not to exercise I have a lot of bad body image emotions I still see myself as bigger than I am. If I eat like a cup of ice cream I feel like I have to exercise for an hour

So even though you know that you're not seeing yourself realistically, you're willing to exercise through pain, possibly injury, until you are forced to see a doctor, who will likely require you to take weeks, possibly months off, when you could have backed off now for a few days or a week, and gotten it under control (or at least a proper diagnosis). Am I getting this right?

I am not trying to be cruel, but I think your leg pain is not your biggest problem here.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member

I'm not even sure what you interpreted that response to mean. @queenliz99 is saying that when her pain levels are increased, she is able to take the needed time off to recoup without if effecting her long-term goals. I'm sure she will correct me if I'm wrong in my interpretation.

As for this:

I suggest taking your time to heal before it becomes an injury that sidelines you for months.
  • corsayre8
    corsayre8 Posts: 551 Member
    nutmegoreo wrote: »

I'm not even sure what you interpreted that response to mean. @queenliz99 is saying that when her pain levels are increased, she is able to take the needed time off to recoup without if effecting her long-term goals. I'm sure she will correct me if I'm wrong in my interpretation.

I took it to mean the OP is experiencing nerve pain. Kinda sounds like she may be having sciatic issues?

• nutmegoreo
    corsayre8 wrote: »

I took it to mean the OP is experiencing nerve pain. Kinda sounds like she may be having sciatic issues?

Ah! I though maybe OP was saying queenliz99 was being sensitive. The rest of my post, regarding resting and healing stands.
  • queenliz99

As for this:

I suggest taking your time to heal before it becomes an injury that sidelines you for months.

Nothing like getting something fixed after you have disregarded the pain. Last week I had a bunch fluid taken out of my knee and a cortisone shot because I didn't listen to the warning signs and kept on running thinking it will go away.

Op, you have your whole life ahead of you and you only get one body. Take care of it.

fuv9jdj8usv8.jpeg
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    if I go to walk too fast or step up on my toes I have a very sharp pain in my right leg.
    but I haven't been able to get thru the exercising for even 10 minutes at a time....
    Perhaps this is a matter of too much too soon. Are you trying to go balls to the wall when you're exercising or are you going at a comfortable walking pace? Because there's a huge difference between the two. If you're trying to go harder than your body can handle (AKA, pushing yourself), you're going to end up injured, and the pain you're feeling is the warning bells going off telling you to slow it down.
    I have a lot of bad body image emotions I still see myself as bigger than I am. If I eat like a cup of ice cream I feel like I have to exercise for an hour
    Have you spoken to a professional about this? Because that's pretty concerning and you should.

• nutmegoreo

As for this:

Nothing like getting something fixed after you have disregarded the pain. Last week I had a bunch fluid taken out of my knee and a cortisone shot because I didn't listen to the warning signs and kept on running thinking it will go away.

Op, you have your whole life ahead of you and you only get one body. Take care of it.

fuv9jdj8usv8.jpeg

Ugh. That sucks. Sorry. :frowning:

I've tried to push through pain as well. Sometimes it works, but other times, it can take you out of training for a long time!
  • kansascutie81
    I don't go hard I exercise at a moderate pace but I do it several times a day anywhere from 4 to maybe 6 times a day 5 days a week. I am forced to not exercise now that I have the pain. And my husband keeps telling me to take a few days rest but like I said I still see myself as really big and when I eat I feel guilt that makes me wanna exercise before it settles as fat. (I know not good)