Why Eating Healthy Isn't Expensive/Grocery Haul

Options
I was thinking about myfitnesspal today while I was out grocery shopping. I was doing what I always do; reading labels, scouring clearance shelves and mentally computing the price per ounce of products to determine the best value (love that Kroger puts it right on the tag).

I've seen a lot of comments recently that say some variation of the same thing:
It's too expensive to eat healthy
I can't afford fresh produce
It's cheaper to buy fast food than cook
Processed foods are cheaper than nutritious foods

No, it isn't.
Yes, you can.
No, it isn't.
Not necessarily and something being processed doesn't immediately negate any/all nutritious value.

I'd like to share what I purchased today and how much I spent. For comparative purposes:
I live in Columbus, OH
I live alone
I have lived in many states and other than the coasts I have found prices vary very little from place to place
I went to Kroger, Trader Joe's, Whole Foods and Target but the majority of my food was purchased at Kroger
I am eating to lose weight
I just have a normal sized refrigerator/freezer and one cabinet for dry goods
This food will last me weeks. I will supplement very little over the next few weeks. I typically eat everything until it's gone then do another large shopping trip

Kroger:
22 bags of frozen vegetables ($2.99 regular price. On sale for $1.99. Buy 4, price drops to $.99/ea)
10 bags of frozen pasta/grain meals (part of same deal as the vegetables)
3 pints of Halo Top ice cream ($4.29/ea)
2 boxes Kroger own brand protein bars (2/$5 regular price. On sale for $1.88/5 bar box)
3lbs pork (On special, $1.49/lb)
5lbs boneless, skinless chicken breasts (On special, $1.88/lb)
6 cans tuna in water ($.69/can)
3 salt free seasoning blends, Kroger own brand ($2.39/ea)
2lbs red grapes (On special, $.99/lb)
2 bunches green onions ($.55/ea)
1lb asparagus (On special, $1.99/lb)
1lb yellow squash ($1.49/lb)
2 cucumbers (2/$.99)
1.25lb zucchini ($1.69/lb)
3 6oz packages of blackberries (On special, $.99/package)
1lb strawberries ($2.99/lb)
1 package radishes ($1.00/package)
1lb Portobello mushrooms (2/8oz packages, manager special, $.99/ea)
1lb baby Bella mushrooms (Manager special, $2.29/ea)
Total: $90.00

Trader Joe's:
4 bags frozen brussel sprouts ($.99/ea)
8 bananas ($.19/ea)
3 dozen eggs ($.99/dz)
2 bags spinach ($1.99/ea)
1 bag broccoli slaw ($1.99/ea)
1lb precut fresh mixed vegetables ($2.99/ea)
Total: $17.00

Whole Foods:
2 boxes AK Mak crackers ($1.89/box)
.68lb nutritional yeast ($6.79/.68lb - $9.99/lb)
Total: $11.00

Target:
1 box pureed carrots (On clearance, $1.24/box)
1 box pureed spinach (On clearance, $1.24/box)
1/40ct box Monk Fruit in the Raw (On clearance, $1.48/box)
Total: $4.00

Grand total: $122.00

As I said above, this food will last me a few weeks. I will freeze some of the meat and eat all the fresh produce first. This will cover all my meals and snacks. I can easily spend over $50/week on just lunch during the work week eating out. I wanted to share this to show that preparing your own food is infinitely less expensive than take away. Not to mention better nutrition, complete control and the satisfaction of making your own food.

Buy what's on sale. Buy what's in season. Shop the sales. Buy frozen. Freeze meat. Shop around if the option is available.

On the first photo, the top is everything I purchased, bottom is Kroger only

d204uey60luv.jpg

wpa2icemhirv.jpg

Replies

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Great information. Thanks for taking the time to post all of this!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Thank you for doing this! It should be an "announcement".
  • CandehMandeh
    CandehMandeh Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Looks yummy!~
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Danimri84 wrote: »
    You are absolutely right...to an extent. Living a very rural area, if I were to do all my shopping here, eating healthy isn't affordable. Greek yogurt, nearly $4 for 8 ounces, for example. Produce is also very expensive. And by the time it is shipped here, it only lasts 3-4 days before it starts to go bad. I'm fortunate now that I can afford to drive the hour it takes to get to a Walmart or a Kroger, but I wasn't always in this position. So in most cases, yes, you can eat healthy for a good price, but there are circumstances when people can't.

Is fast food for the same number of people cheaper? If so, how SAD for our nation (assuming you're american).
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Fantastic post. Learning to cook saves money and is incredibly helpful with hitting calorie and macro targets. And, I agree with Sabine_Stroehm above. Newbies need to really learn this lesson.
  • Danimri84
    Danimri84 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    You are absolutely right...to an extent. Living a very rural area, if I were to do all my shopping here, eating healthy isn't affordable. Greek yogurt, nearly $4 for 8 ounces, for example. Produce is also very expensive. And by the time it is shipped here, it only lasts 3-4 days before it starts to go bad. I'm fortunate now that I can afford to drive the hour it takes to get to a Walmart or a Kroger, but I wasn't always in this position. So in most cases, yes, you can eat healthy for a good price, but there are circumstances when people can't.

Is fast food for the same number of people cheaper? If so, how SAD for our nation (assuming you're american).

Fast food is cheaper, but we don't have much of that out here either. We got a Subway a couple weeks ago. Beyond that, there are a few fast food places in the next town over. It is very sad. And yes, I'm American :smile:

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

Fast food is cheaper, but we don't have much of that out here either. We got a Subway a couple weeks ago. Beyond that, there are a few fast food places in the next town over. It is very sad. And yes, I'm American :smile:

So you'd have to do subway and not much else. Is that sustainable? i.e. does the OP's post make sense in context?
  • Danimri84
    Danimri84 Posts: 262 Member
    Options

So you'd have to do subway and not much else. Is that sustainable? i.e. does the OP's post make sense in context?

Of course it makes sense. I did mention twice that the OP was right. I was just pointing out that there are rare circumstances that make eating healthy financially difficult. I'm fortunate now that I can drive the nearly 100 miles it takes to get to a Kroger or Walmart. I usually go twice a month and just fill in milk and eggs locally. (Oddly, eggs are super cheap here, cheaper than any large store I've ever been to.) However, I'm sure my son would love it if we had Subway for every meal lol.

• CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    While I don't disagree with your overall premise, you have to take into account where people are. Some of your prices are what I could only dream of.
    Skinless, boneless chicken on sale is at least $4 a lb. Sometimes you are looking at $15 for 3 breasts.
    Tuna, on sale, is almost twice as much.
    99 cents for a dozen for eggs!
    Not to mention the berries, bananas, asparagus, even the cucumbers (99 cents for one is a sale).

Damn.

same here. Im in wv and its over $2 for a dozen of large kroger brand eggs,chicken is not cheap. tuna is like 89 cents a can on sale.milk is cheap though. we do have kroger but ours is a small kroger and we dont have a lot of the same things other larger krogers have so we are limited as well. same for our walmart supercenter. we have a shoppers value store but its not that great when it comes to produce because most of it they prepackage it themselves and sell it for more than what kroger would.rural areas like mine have it a lot harder because we have smaller stores.I have 3 stores in my area,the next closest store is over 35min one way.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    edited May 2016
    Options
    navaris wrote: »
    Food costs are highly variable depending on where you live. In the Canadian north, for example, the cost of fresh foods is incredibly high. In the very far North, a bag of grapes can go for as much as $30. In my own town, a head of lettuce is $3 in season and eggs are $5. I bought a pack of chicken breasts today for $12 (2 lbs) and that's a good deal. Milk is $5 a gallon.

Foods high in sugar or salt tend to last longer on the shelves, which mean they can be sold for much cheaper and can last longer for people that might only have a chance to shop once or twice a month. Fresh foods are often imported, especially when they're out of season, and that costs more money than producing processed foods domestically.

If I only bought foods that were in season and local, I'd starve in the winter time.

Eating whole foods is always preferable and always healthier, but there's a reason that obesity is linked to poverty and that's because unhealthy foods are cheaper and more accessible to people that are struggling financially.

Many of her plant foods foods were frozen. Thank God for that!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    Lounmoun wrote: »
    alyssa0061 wrote: »
    I wanted to share this to show that preparing your own food is infinitely less expensive than take away. Not to mention better nutrition, complete control and the satisfaction of making your own food.

Buy what's on sale. Buy what's in season. Shop the sales. Buy frozen. Freeze meat. Shop around if the option is available.

Great post!
    I wanted to add buy store brand or generic items.
    Buy foods that are not already cut up, shredded, boned, skinned, pureed and do it yourself.
    There is nothing unhealthy with using canned or frozen vegetables or fruits if you can't get fresh produce.
    Great tips!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

Of course it makes sense. I did mention twice that the OP was right. I was just pointing out that there are rare circumstances that make eating healthy financially difficult. I'm fortunate now that I can drive the nearly 100 miles it takes to get to a Kroger or Walmart. I usually go twice a month and just fill in milk and eggs locally. (Oddly, eggs are super cheap here, cheaper than any large store I've ever been to.) However, I'm sure my son would love it if we had Subway for every meal lol.

Great that you have large markets within a few hours. And glad you use them!