Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

When is the best time of day to weight yourself?

jodiann_xo
jodiann_xo Posts: 11 Member
edited June 2023 in Debate Club
Obviously in the morning you are lighter than at the end of the day, but when adding in your progress, should you weigh your self in the morning or at night? How often should you weigh yourself?

Replies

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Sabine I always say Loo. Do most Americans know what it means?
  • kiittenforever
    kiittenforever Posts: 479 Member
    edited May 2016
    I weigh myself every morning..
  • okungbowa
    okungbowa Posts: 47 Member
    Morning
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member

I know what it means, and use it about half the time, the other half I say washroom (also not popular among Americans). NO IDEA if most Americans understand loo!

Cheers! :D
  • missworldtraveler
    missworldtraveler Posts: 1 Member
    I weight myself every Sunday morning, after I've gone to the bathroom and before I've had anything to eat or drink. I also weigh myself nude. I only like to weight myself one per week because my weight fluctuates on a daily basis due to food + water intake.
  • jodiann_xo
    jodiann_xo Posts: 11 Member
    I've been doing every day and the numbers are driving me nuts! One morning in 6 lbs lighter than my start and the next I'm 3 lbs lighter
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    edited May 2016
    jodiann_xo wrote: »
    I've been doing every day and the numbers are driving me nuts! One morning in 6 lbs lighter than my start and the next I'm 3 lbs lighter
    That's how it goes!
    Weight loss is NOT linear.
    Cheers!
  • positivepowers
    positivepowers Posts: 902 Member
    edited May 2016

This American does. In medicine we weigh patients after using the loo and before breakfast. It's called a "dry weight." In hemodialysis patients the dry weight is just after dialysis and before eating or drinking (probably TMI, but if you ever need the info for a trivia contest, you have it! :D )
  • Christine_72

Yep, Agree with Sabine. This is one of the reasons I recommended Trendweight. It'll smooth out those fluctuations so you don't freak out by the up's and downs.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    edited May 2016

Yep, Agree with Sabine. This is one of the reasons I recommended Trendweight. It'll smooth out those fluctuations so you don't freak out by the up's and downs.

And you can learn from those fluctuations!
  • positivepowers
    I weight myself every Sunday morning, after I've gone to the bathroom and before I've had anything to eat or drink. I also weigh myself nude. I only like to weight myself one per week because my weight fluctuates on a daily basis due to food + water intake.

I'm trying to do this because otherwise I obsess over the numbers.
  • positivepowers
    I'm American and understand Loo...I always weigh myself in the morning. after the "Jim" (I used to call it a John, but changed it to "Jim" so I can say I go to the "Gym" every morning..) Mornings you are lighter..but weigh in every week..same time..after the shower...naked..that way..you can track your progress week to week.

Weighing after the shower may be a mistake. The skin absorbs water and the difference might be quite marked, depending upon the surface area of the skin and the time exposed to the water. Also, when the hair becomes wet the weight is increased, especially if the hair is long.
  • Christine_72
    I'm American and understand Loo...I always weigh myself in the morning. after the "Jim" (I used to call it a John, but changed it to "Jim" so I can say I go to the "Gym" every morning..) Mornings you are lighter..but weigh in every week..same time..after the shower...naked..that way..you can track your progress week to week.

Weighing after the shower may be a mistake. The skin absorbs water and the difference might be quite marked, depending upon the surface area of the skin and the time exposed to the water. Also, when the hair becomes wet the weight is increased, especially if the hair is long.

Definitely! I've got long very thick hair and I swear it holds a couple of lbs of water lol
  • Goallday92
    Goallday92 Posts: 1 Member

I completely agree!
  • DearestWinter
    DearestWinter Posts: 595 Member
    I find the fluctuations comforting. If I weigh in 4 lbs higher then I know I couldn't have eaten that many calories in a day and it's likely water weight.

As everyone else said, first thing in the morning I use the toilet, strip off anything I slept in, and weigh myself.
  • ObsidianMist
    ObsidianMist Posts: 519 Member
    definitely first thing in the morning, after going to the bathroom, naked, before showering or eating or drinking anything.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,718 Member
    To my mind, the main reason to weigh first thing in the morning - after using the bathroom, before eating/drinking - is that it seems like the most likely time to give a comparable weight from day to day. (I'm not saying it won't fluctuate - it will).

My reasoning is that few of us behave in ways that are utterly consistent from day to day: Eating and drinking the same amount, with the same fiber/sodium/carbs, at the same time of day; getting the same level and intensity of exercise or other activity at the same time of day; etc. Rather, we vary.

Typically, first thing in the morning, we've at least slept for a bit, and most of us haven't eaten/drunk much during the night. So each "first thing in the morning" ought to be just a bit more comparable to the next, compared with (say) each "2PM' or whatever. YMMV!
This discussion has been closed.