Calorie Counter

You are currently viewing the message boards in:

When is the best time of day to weight yourself?

jodiann_xojodiann_xo Posts: 11Member Member Posts: 11Member Member
Obviously in the morning you are lighter than at the end of the day, but when adding in your progress, should you weigh your self in the morning or at night? How often should you weigh yourself?

Replies

• Christine_72Christine_72 Posts: 16,074Member Member Posts: 16,074Member Member
    Sabine I always say Loo. Do most Americans know what it means?
  • kiittenforeverkiittenforever Posts: 480Member, Premium Member Posts: 480Member, Premium Member
    I weigh myself every morning..
    edited May 2016
  • okungbowaokungbowa Posts: 47Member Member Posts: 47Member Member
    Morning
  • Sabine_StroehmSabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,431Member Member Posts: 19,431Member Member

I know what it means, and use it about half the time, the other half I say washroom (also not popular among Americans). NO IDEA if most Americans understand loo!

Cheers! :D
  • missworldtravelermissworldtraveler Posts: 1Member Member Posts: 1Member Member
    I weight myself every Sunday morning, after I've gone to the bathroom and before I've had anything to eat or drink. I also weigh myself nude. I only like to weight myself one per week because my weight fluctuates on a daily basis due to food + water intake.
  • jodiann_xojodiann_xo Posts: 11Member Member Posts: 11Member Member
    I've been doing every day and the numbers are driving me nuts! One morning in 6 lbs lighter than my start and the next I'm 3 lbs lighter
  • Sabine_StroehmSabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,431Member Member Posts: 19,431Member Member
    jodiann_xo wrote: »
    I've been doing every day and the numbers are driving me nuts! One morning in 6 lbs lighter than my start and the next I'm 3 lbs lighter
    That's how it goes!
    Weight loss is NOT linear.
    Cheers!
    edited May 2016
  • positivepowerspositivepowers Posts: 902Member Member Posts: 902Member Member

This American does. In medicine we weigh patients after using the loo and before breakfast. It's called a "dry weight." In hemodialysis patients the dry weight is just after dialysis and before eating or drinking (probably TMI, but if you ever need the info for a trivia contest, you have it! :D )
    edited May 2016
  • Christine_72Christine_72 Posts: 16,074Member Member Posts: 16,074Member Member

Yep, Agree with Sabine. This is one of the reasons I recommended Trendweight. It'll smooth out those fluctuations so you don't freak out by the up's and downs.

Yep, Agree with Sabine. This is one of the reasons I recommended Trendweight. It'll smooth out those fluctuations so you don't freak out by the up's and downs.

And you can learn from those fluctuations!
    edited May 2016
    I weight myself every Sunday morning, after I've gone to the bathroom and before I've had anything to eat or drink. I also weigh myself nude. I only like to weight myself one per week because my weight fluctuates on a daily basis due to food + water intake.

I'm trying to do this because otherwise I obsess over the numbers.
    I'm American and understand Loo...I always weigh myself in the morning. after the "Jim" (I used to call it a John, but changed it to "Jim" so I can say I go to the "Gym" every morning..) Mornings you are lighter..but weigh in every week..same time..after the shower...naked..that way..you can track your progress week to week.

Weighing after the shower may be a mistake. The skin absorbs water and the difference might be quite marked, depending upon the surface area of the skin and the time exposed to the water. Also, when the hair becomes wet the weight is increased, especially if the hair is long.
    I'm American and understand Loo...I always weigh myself in the morning. after the "Jim" (I used to call it a John, but changed it to "Jim" so I can say I go to the "Gym" every morning..) Mornings you are lighter..but weigh in every week..same time..after the shower...naked..that way..you can track your progress week to week.

Weighing after the shower may be a mistake. The skin absorbs water and the difference might be quite marked, depending upon the surface area of the skin and the time exposed to the water. Also, when the hair becomes wet the weight is increased, especially if the hair is long.

Definitely! I've got long very thick hair and I swear it holds a couple of lbs of water lol
  • Goallday92Goallday92 Posts: 1Member Member Posts: 1Member Member

I completely agree!
  • DearestWinterDearestWinter Posts: 595Member Member Posts: 595Member Member
    I find the fluctuations comforting. If I weigh in 4 lbs higher then I know I couldn't have eaten that many calories in a day and it's likely water weight.

As everyone else said, first thing in the morning I use the toilet, strip off anything I slept in, and weigh myself.
  • ObsidianMistObsidianMist Posts: 519Member Member Posts: 519Member Member
    definitely first thing in the morning, after going to the bathroom, naked, before showering or eating or drinking anything.
  • AnnPT77AnnPT77 Posts: 14,165Member Member Posts: 14,165Member Member
    To my mind, the main reason to weigh first thing in the morning - after using the bathroom, before eating/drinking - is that it seems like the most likely time to give a comparable weight from day to day. (I'm not saying it won't fluctuate - it will).

My reasoning is that few of us behave in ways that are utterly consistent from day to day: Eating and drinking the same amount, with the same fiber/sodium/carbs, at the same time of day; getting the same level and intensity of exercise or other activity at the same time of day; etc. Rather, we vary.

Typically, first thing in the morning, we've at least slept for a bit, and most of us haven't eaten/drunk much during the night. So each "first thing in the morning" ought to be just a bit more comparable to the next, compared with (say) each "2PM' or whatever. YMMV!