Running ruined my metabolism?

Options
I maintained a weight of 145lbs for a few years and decided I wanted to lose weight and took up running in 2014. Did it for the summer, didn't lost weight, got discouraged and stopped.

Over a year and a half my weight slowly packed on, (didn't change my routine from before running at all) all the way to 165 lbs and I haven't been able to lose it, ever since.

I tried cutting calories, being active outside more often and last month I went to the gym 4x a week (cardio and weights for an hour) and I am seeing zero results. Not one budge!

Did running mess something up? What's your opinion?

Add me if you'd like! @hilaryalice I need all the motivation I can get :)

Replies

• myheartsabattleground
    myheartsabattleground Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    How much water are you drinking daily?
  • hilaryalice
    hilaryalice Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    2 litres a day during the week, not including the water I take in while exercising. Weekends are a struggle for water tho, barely anything other than coffee and tea.
  • hilaryalice
    Options
    Are you counting calories or not. You don't say?
    I stopped because I was eating the same thing everyday and thought that I knew what I was taking in. Maybe not tho!

Ninkyou wrote: »
    Were you counting calories when you were running?

And if you didn't change your eating habits and then lowered your activity by not running, you were probably eating too many calories, resulting in weight gain.

If you're not eating less calories than your body burns (based on your stats and activity level), you're not going to lose weight.
    I probably didn't track properly, I stopped because I was eating the same thing everyday for the most part and thought I knew what I was taking in so maybe I should have kept tracking.

Psychgrrl wrote: »
    Weight loss starts in the kitchen. Exercise gives us a little extra room for what happens in the kitchen, but it's for fitness.

Just because you start running doesn't mean you'll lose weight. Losing weight comes down to consuming fewer calories than you burn.

How are you tracking the calories in part of the equation?
    Thanks for the reply! Given the questions above, I'm thinking I must not have been tracking my calories as well as I thought. I figured I had that figured out and the exercise would have made a difference.
  • hilaryalice
    Options
    Noel_57 wrote: »
    About metabolism, maybe serious exercise "resets" something. I had a big time regain years ago when I suddenly stopped exercising, and I have never quite been able to even get back to my pre-exercise weight. I don't know. I wonder if anyone else has experienced this. Hope you find success here!

Thanks!! Glad to hear I'm not alone. I get what you mean by "resets". That's what it feels like.
  • JazCopycat
    JazCopycat Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Despite what everyone says, It depends if your age!
  • hilaryalice
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    Change in metabolism caused by a bit of running I would think very unlikely to be the cause.

My guess is that the exercise made you hungrier but while you carried on running you were in a calorie balance.
    Then stopped running but carried on eating at the same level - bigger portion sizes perhaps?

Start weighing and logging your food and find the calorie balance that results in weight loss.

Great advice. Thank you!
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    JazCopycat wrote: »
    Despite what everyone says, It depends if your age!

What depends on your age?
  • ReaderGirl3
    ReaderGirl3 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you've already figured out the issue-more calories were sneaking in than you thought. It happens to all of us at one point or another :)

Start accurately tracking your food/calorie intake, accurately do portion sizes (this is a biggie, and it's where people seem to struggle the most with-start using a food scale set to grams), and then hit the calorie goal that MFP sets for you. That's it!
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    No. Running did not ruin your metabolism. You ate more and moved less ( or some combination of the two) to gain weight. Your metabolism likely didn't change much at all.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    How much water are you drinking daily?

Why?
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    no running did not ruin your metabolism

Must have been the not drinking enough water then