Running ruined my metabolism?

Options

Replies

• 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    WakkoW wrote: »
    JazCopycat wrote: »
    Despite what everyone says, It depends if your age!

What depends on your age?

The number of birthdays you've experienced?

I'm 44 and have yet to peak. I'm more of a fine wine though.

Peak what?
    Her question was did running ruin her metabolism. You answered it depends on your age. So do running ruin your metabolism at a certain age? Does a certain age ruin your metabolism.
  • haviegirl
    haviegirl Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    DavPul wrote: »
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    no running did not ruin your metabolism

Must have been the not drinking enough water then

DavPul, you're a smart alek. I like that about you. :)
  • WakkoW
    WakkoW Posts: 567 Member
    Options

Peak what?
    Her question was did running ruin her metabolism. You answered it depends on your age. So do running ruin your metabolism at a certain age? Does a certain age ruin your metabolism.

I didn't answer that. In my experience recovery time is effected by age.

I didnt realize your question was serious.
  • 3dogsrunning
    edited May 2016
    Options

Peak what?

She hasn't run since 2014.
    I didn't realize we were talking about recovery time.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options

The blacker the berry, the sweeter the juice!
  • WakkoW
    Options

Peak what?

Well, it appears the OP had a face palm moment and figured out it was the calories. (Too much food)

I have a strong dislike for anyone who blames age. No, it's inactivity coupled with increased wine intake that is the cause of your weight gain, not age.

Muscle mass decreases with inactivity. If we remain active, we get to keep that muscle for a longer period of time.

• WakkoW
    Options
    Alluminati wrote: »

The blacker the berry, the sweeter the juice!

Well, I don't tan well so I guess I'm a dry variety.
  • ama44556
    ama44556 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    My metabolism has certainly changed as I am getting older. I can't eat the sheer piles of crap I was able to eat as a younger person (with no visible impact! Ah, those were the days). Talking with my friends - we're all around 37 - this seems like a pretty common experience. I don't know how old you were / are, but I imagine age might have something to do with your changing metabolism, too.
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options

Peak what?

Well, it appears the OP had a face palm moment and figured out it was the calories. (Too much food)

I have a strong dislike for anyone who blames age. No, it's inactivity coupled with increased wine intake that is the cause of your weight gain, not age.

Muscle mass decreases with inactivity. If we remain active, we get to keep that muscle for a longer period of time.

I was confused because when you responded, I thought you were the one I asked. I thought you were the one who posted about age. My point was also going to be don't blame age.
  • WakkoW
    Options

Peak what?

I was confused because when you responded, I thought you were the one I asked. I thought you were the one who posted about age. My point was also going to be don't blame age.

Yeah, I thought I was agreeing with you. But I've had some wine tonight, so what I think and reality might not be synching.

We're cool now though.

fist bump.
  • chrisbyradio
    chrisbyradio Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Running at a slow steady rate can actually decrease muscle mass so yes technically it could have decreased your metabolism as it takes more energy to sustain muscle than fat, this really has nothing to do with water intake. If you're looking into getting into any sort of exercise regime, it's better to look at fat loss, not weight loss as you're body goes through changes in the beginning that don't necessary translate to the scale. When you started running you were most likely building leg muscles and neural pathways you hadn't really been using before and that means you could have been losing fat but remaining the same weight which overall is healthier anyway. It's hard though because unless you know someone trained to use body calipers or have a hydrostatic tank nearby measuring body fat percentage and pounds of fat isn't too easy. I use ultrasound on my clients and tell them exactly the same thing but I would also say you would want to think more about how your pants fit, how you look in the mirror and not be too tethered to the scale as it is not the greatest measurement you can use for fitness. Lots of unhealthy skinny people out there.
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options

Peak what?

Yeah, I thought I was agreeing with you. But I've had some wine tonight, so what I think and reality might not be synching.

We're cool now though.

fist bump.

I have also had some wine. LOL.

WINE FOR EVERYONE!
  • WakkoW
    Options

Peak what?

We're cool now though.

fist bump.

I have also had some wine. LOL.

WINE FOR EVERYONE!

The cause of... and solution to... all of life's problems.
  • justjennnnn
    justjennnnn Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    Change in metabolism caused by a bit of running I would think very unlikely to be the cause.

My guess is that the exercise made you hungrier but while you carried on running you were in a calorie balance.
    Then stopped running but carried on eating at the same level - bigger portion sizes perhaps?

Start weighing and logging your food and find the calorie balance that results in weight loss.

This is totally what happened to me! Accurately logging all food consistently will break the cycle. Also make sure your activity level is at the right setting.
  • Colorscheme
    Colorscheme Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    jofjltncb6 wrote: »
    ama44556 wrote: »
    My metabolism has certainly changed as I am getting older. I can't eat the sheer piles of crap I was able to eat as a younger person (with no visible impact! Ah, those were the days). Talking with my friends - we're all around 37 - this seems like a pretty common experience. I don't know how old you were / are, but I imagine age might have something to do with your changing metabolism, too.

More likely people tend to become less active as they get older, not that age itself actually materially impacts metabolism directly.

That, and when you're younger, your BMR is increased. Especially as a teenager when you're growing and can seemingly eat a ton and not gain weight. But as you age, BMR goes down [albeit not by a whole lot] as does activity, as you said.
  • ReaderGirl3
    ReaderGirl3 Posts: 868 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    ama44556 wrote: »

I'm 37 years old (38 this year), and I eat the same exact foods that I ate when I was younger and 50lbs heavier-the difference now is I eat less of them ie I eat less calories.

My metabolism hasn't keeled over yet with my old age :p
  • JYereRun79
    JYereRun79 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Noel_57 wrote: »
    About metabolism, maybe serious exercise "resets" something. I had a big time regain years ago when I suddenly stopped exercising, and I have never quite been able to even get back to my pre-exercise weight. I don't know. I wonder if anyone else has experienced this. Hope you find success here!

I experienced this, but it was due to inactivity on my part. From 2008 to 2010 I was training for marathons consistently, which resulted in serious weight loss. I was a vegan for most of that time, which helped in getting lean. In early 2010 I was transferred to a new job for the Army and started packing on the pounds, but this was due to my work schedule and lack of exercise. Once I started training again, I noticed the weight started falling off and I really monitored my nutrition, which aided in my weight loss. As someone said, "weight loss begins in the kitchen."

For the original blog creator, running would only help you lose weight. Though, without proper nutrition and rest you will see very little results. Good luck with losing the weight, you should pick up running again, but monitor your nutrition closer.

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    JYereRun79 wrote: »
    Noel_57 wrote: »
    About metabolism, maybe serious exercise "resets" something. I had a big time regain years ago when I suddenly stopped exercising, and I have never quite been able to even get back to my pre-exercise weight. I don't know. I wonder if anyone else has experienced this. Hope you find success here!

I experienced this, but it was due to inactivity on my part. From 2008 to 2010 I was training for marathons consistently, which resulted in serious weight loss. I was a vegan for most of that time, which helped in getting lean. In early 2010 I was transferred to a new job for the Army and started packing on the pounds, but this was due to my work schedule and lack of exercise. Once I started training again, I noticed the weight started falling off and I really monitored my nutrition, which aided in my weight loss. As someone said, "weight loss begins in the kitchen."

For the original blog creator, running would only help you lose weight. Though, without proper nutrition and rest you will see very little results. Good luck with losing the weight, you should pick up running again, but monitor your nutrition closer.

being a vegan does not help you get lean....otherwise the change in the job wouldn't have mattered...
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options

How does it depend on your age?