How do YOU get in your fruits and vegetables?

Options

Replies

• MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    Salads, raw snacks, and steamed. I also like creamed spinach and stews.

And, I'm sorry, but there is a part of me that is baffled by the number vegetable questions on MFP.

Rather talk about vegetables than cleanses
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I eat three different fruits each day, one for each meal besides dinner. Either one whole fruit if apple, pear or orange, or two if plums, tangerines or loquats, or I portion out for several days if melon, pineapple or grapes. Certain fruits are wonderful paired with nut butter: Green apple/orange+peanut butter, and pear+cashew/almond butter. Grapes, tangerines and some pear varieties are even better coupled with certain cheeses.

I eat vegetables with every meal. Raw vegetables for each meal besides dinner - chopped up carrots, cucumber, rutabaga, beets, broccoli, cauliflower, or salad - portioned out as close to 80 grams as possible. For dinner: salad (rarely), or heated ("steamed") peas or green beans, boiled (artichokes, asparagus), or baked (parsnips, brussel sprouts), as a side, or mixed in a casserole or chunky soup - lots of onion, garlic, canned tomatoes, celery, mushrooms, squash, peppers, or blended in soup - cauliflower, mushroom, butternut squash, carrot (w/coconut milk, chili and lime), pepper/tomato, spinach, pea soup. I also eat potatoes, sweet potatoes and corn often.

I make smoothies sometimes - milk, banana + blueberries, strawberries or lime, or peanut butter/cocoa.

For me, this is an easy way to get in plenty of fruit and veg. They are also quite calorie friendly, so they are ideal for weight management.

Are you a vegetarian or vegan?

No! Lol, I admit it could sound like that, but it wasn't intentionally, I just mentioned the fruit and vegetables I eat, not the rest. Vegetables have just gradually become just as important as meat in my diet, but I have at least two meat based and one fish based dinner every week, and occasionally on other days. I also use meat/fish/cheese based sandwich spreads and have meat/fish/seafood/cheese in salads.

ETA: I also noticed I forgot to mention beans - I eat beans from time to time, but not anywhere near "vegetarian" amounts.
  • casnowns
    casnowns Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I do a massive stir fry. Usually at dinner when I don't have a lot of calories left for the day. I love veggies. I usually drown in pepper and sprinkle tumeric on it all while it cooks as well. Veggies are great because you get to eat a lot of them without breaking the caloric budget. Learn to love em. Find your favorites! Fruits are treats. I usually stick with berries since they're low calorie. Bananas and apples I love too though. Kiwi has be on a go to.
  • feisty_bucket
    feisty_bucket Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    Eating mostly the same stuff every day, which makes it much easier.

I eat an apple and orange when I get up, along with other stuff. Later on, my main meal includes four servings of various veggies in a bowl with olive oil and sauces & seasonings and meat, and a cup of vegetable juice. So that's seven servings a day.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,894 Member
    Options
    Banana in the morning.
    150 grams of steamed veggies at lunch.
    Apple in the afternoon.
    Raw cucumber + raw carrot or radishes or cabbage or something after work.
    200 grams of steamed veggies at dinner.
    And sometimes fruit in the evening.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I can't drink my calories. It doesn't satisfy me.
    I really do like vegetables but I have to make an effort to include them.
    I plan meals that include vegetables as an ingredient- like soup- or vegetable side dishes.
    I have a salad with my meal.
    I eat vegetables or fruits for snacks.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    n1cholee93 wrote: »
    Does anyone do smoothies? I'm not going to lie, i've never been proper about getting in my fruits and vegetables, on a calorie restricted diet, i'm even worse about it. How do you fit them in?

I eat them with every meal. For example, a typical breakfast for me would be a 4 egg white omelet with spinach and I usually top that with 1/2 cup of Kimchi and a bowl of oats or some beans. Lunch is typically some kind of protein with 1 cup of either brown rice or quinoa and 4-6 ounces of vegetables...I often do broccoli because it's easy to steam in the microwave, but I often have veggies leftover from the previous evening too. I generally have an apple every day for a snack and usually some Greek yogurt with frozen blueberries as well. Dinner is typically some kind of lean protein with a double serving of vegetables (usually a mixed variety) that take up about half my plate.

The only time I really do a smoothie is for recovery after a particularly long ride. They are great for recovery because by breaking down the food with your blender, you are requiring your body to do less work and thus the smoothie is going to hit my system faster and I'm going to absorb more of that energy than I otherwise would have had I eaten the ingredients instead.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I eat roasted cauliflower and add other veggies to it. It's fantastic with everything I've tried: peas, carrots, mushrooms, peppers. My latest is cauliflower fried rice, with no rice, only a big serving of cauliflower, peas, carrots, onion, and a little bacon.

Brussels sprouts are another thing I like roasted. I add radicchio. I hate most green salads, but I love small salads made with arugula or sunflower sprouts.

Sometimes I eat a half an avocado all by itself to help get my fiber in.

I don't like smoothies, but I made a mango lassi a few days ago.
  • PamelaW41
    PamelaW41 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot of salad, sometimes I put fruit in it. I put blueberries in my smoothies. I'll admit I don't eat enough fruit, the longer I'm off sugar the less I want fruit. I try to eat a tart apple with peanut butter for a snack, I do like that.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    This thread inspired me to do a kale smoothie. To motivate myself to finish it up, if I got done with it I'd get to have a snack from the nut and candy jar

75g kale, 57g Apple, 62g banana (was going bad and might have been thrown out), pumpkin pie spice, sweetener, milk, water

Let's just say if I keep this up I just might ween myself off the treats.
  • caseylizbeth
    caseylizbeth Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I love smoothies, and you can get quite a few servings of fruit and veggies in just one smoothie, but I don't drink them often. They way I usually make sure I get enough servings is I have some with every meal. If I'm having eggs they get spinach put in, I have fruit for my morning snack, I try and make my lunches primarily vegetable based, afternoon snack is usually fruit or vegetable sticks, and my dinner gets veggies as well. When you include them with every meal its easy to meet your goal.
  • fr33sia12
    fr33sia12 Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    I eat some dried fruit and some fresh fruit. I love adding raisins or sultanas to my porridge with fresh berries or banana. I also snack on dates with nuts. I then have veggies in salads and with dinner.
  • CandehMandeh
    CandehMandeh Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Smoothies (fruit/veg), oatmeal (fruit), stir fry and curry (a LOT of veg).
  • MelissaLimeKiwi
    MelissaLimeKiwi Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    The only way I get all my veggies in is with a big chopped salad. I add in hard boiled egg whites and lunch meat for protein and a light salad dressing around 100 calories.
  • BikeTourer
    BikeTourer Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    jen_bush wrote: »
    I just try and have some with every meal... Smoothies and juices I've been told off about as they lose the fibres and become pure sugar apparently

smoothies don't lose their fiber. Fiber doesn't disappear. They are reported to increase insulin more than chewed food though. So there's that. My smoothies have nuts, seeds, protein etc, so that helps slow down the insulin response.
    Juicing DOES dump a lot of the fiber.
    jen_bush wrote: »
    I just try and have some with every meal... Smoothies and juices I've been told off about as they lose the fibres and become pure sugar apparently

smoothies don't lose their fiber. Fiber doesn't disappear. They are reported to increase insulin more than chewed food though. So there's that. My smoothies have nuts, seeds, protein etc, so that helps slow down the insulin response.
    Juicing DOES dump a lot of the fiber.

Ditto if you make you own smoothies from whole food. Many commercial products use juices. I prefer to eat my calories than drink them so I just make them part of the plan.
  • Pinkylee77
    Pinkylee77 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I eat plenty of vegetables as they are low cal and can fill me up. I do it Korean style I make several different kinds and my protein is the same value on the table as the veggies. So I still eat meat but it is not the main dish. I love eating this was. 4 or 5 different dishes some are cooked ahead some are cooked right before.
  • Leslierussell4134
    Leslierussell4134 Posts: 376 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I saute a lot of spinach and mix it in with everything, pasta, couscous, quinoa...I sneak it in. I have a color rule, there needs to be at least 4 very different colors in all the meals I eat. Bright colored foods equals antioxidants and much needed fiber.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Fruit today is one banana and 5 prunes.
    I lost track of my vegetable servings after 6.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options

Generally I don't care for veggies but will occasionally have frozen veggies, subway, or sushi.
  • OyGeeBiv
    OyGeeBiv Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    JaneiR36 wrote: »
    One pound of veg per day holy shiznit this is the major leagues...

I never paid attention to the total weight of the fruits and veggies I eat in a day. Your comment made me go look at what I've had so far today. Are you sitting down? So far I've had 782 grams (27 ounces, or 1.72 pounds) of mostly vegetables today. And I'm not vegetarian! I just eat massive quantities of vegetables because I like them, and they're low-calorie for the volume.