Options

Replies

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    oh and the one i like is 97% fat free.

Probably the same one I like. :)

I get Bulla's Onion and Chives cottage cheese ... 97% fat free. Then I add a bit of salt (because I need a bit extra salt in my diet) and I eat it with cucumber slices, other raw veg, and/or pickles. :) It's delicious!!

Yes!! It's the Bulla brand. I've only had the plain one. Haven't tried the onion and chives one yet.

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    Um. I guess I'm the only one who doesn't mind it
  • NewMEEE2016
    NewMEEE2016 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I eat **only** full fat dairy, grass fed. SO worth the extra few calories- and there is research now saying that full fat is actually better for you. I'm almost at the "30 lbs released" mark! (just .6 lbs away) since I started on Jan 1.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    Um. I guess I'm the only one who doesn't mind it

As I said above, i prefer the taste and texture of low fat cottage cheese

• VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,953 Member
    Options
    We don't have higher than 2%, but I got 1% once and it made me so sad.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    You know, I have only ever eaten low fat cottage cheese so I don't even have a comparison in my mind. To me, it tastes just fine. Maybe I should venture out of my comfort zone.

I like it better (my favorite is 1% or 2%, I've also tried 4% and 0%). But brands make a huge difference as to whether I like any kind of cottage cheese or not.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »
    The highest fat cottage cheese I've seen is 2%.

Seriously? Every grocery I've been to has multiple options in the 4% version.
  • lemurcat12
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I must be the only one who prefers the taste of low fat cottage. The low fat one is light and fluffy and the full fat one is stodgy and way too salty. Obvious full fat cottage cheese has better macros.
    It might also depend on the brand, I've only tried the one brand low fat cc, but tried pretty much all of the full cream ones.

I also like 1% or 2% the best (my favorite, although it's brand vs. fat content, is 1%). Luckily for me it also has better macros. Back when I was fat I ate a whole container as a snack because I loved it so--even then I picked the low fat version because tastier, IMO.

I get it sometimes from a farm I like (that I also sometimes get yogurt from). I'd like to buy it from the farm more often but it's all full fat and I just like the lower fat better. Any other cheese and I think low fat is anathema, but I guess to me cottage cheese is more like yogurt or milk.
  • positivepowers
    positivepowers Posts: 902 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I must be the only one who prefers the taste of low fat cottage. The low fat one is light and fluffy and the full fat one is stodgy and way too salty. Obvious full fat cottage cheese has better macros.
    It might also depend on the brand, I've only tried the one brand low fat cc, but tried pretty much all of the full cream ones.

Nope. I love fat free cottage cheese, and I was raised on full fat cottage cheese because when I was young there was no fat free or low fat. The only fat free food I cannot eat is salad dressing. Reduced fat is okay but fat free salad dressing has a weird taste/aftertaste.
  • Eddie__Jones
    Eddie__Jones Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    1 cup low fat cottage cheese mixed with 1 can of tuna. delicious!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,853 Member
    Options
    I prefer lowfat, too, though I wasn't excited about the non-fat I tried. Seemed to require a lot of dubious ingredients, too, though maybe it was just the brand. I prefer low/nonfat dairy in most categories, except regular cheese. I'd rather (for example) have some non-fat Greek yogurt & put coconut or peanuts in it, than have full-fat yogurt. I guess I like mix'n'match fat!
  • distinctlybeautiful
    distinctlybeautiful Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    I've always eaten 2%. My grandma bought 4% when I was visiting, and I found I honestly prefer the 2%. Where I am now, I've only been able to get 1.5% or 4%, so I stick to the 1.5%. It's a taste thing, not a calorie-saving thing! I don't, however, like that fat-free stuff.
  • mmunro57
    mmunro57 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I've only ever eaten 1 or 2% but I eat it with a variety of fruit so it's like a dessert, only better for you! :-)
  • louisepaul16
    louisepaul16 Posts: 261 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    i opted not to eat "low fat" anything, accept my milk is 1 %. the lower the fat, the higher the sugar content. i did try low fat cottage cheese, but um, no.never again lol

THANK YOU!!! I am so glad someone else understands this. I am also doing low sugar/no added sugar, but everything else I'm eating is high fat/full fat other than the milk where I drink semi skimmed, as I don't like the taste of whole milk.

But yes when companies take the fat out of stuff it tastes gross, like cardboard, so what do they replace it with? Sugar!! And when the fructose part of the sugar (sugar is glucose and fructose) hits your liver it is processed into fat as your
    Liver doesn't know what to do with it. Hence why a lot of people end up with non alcoholic fatty liver disease.

Little science lesson for ya there! Haha. It's really quite amazing what the food industry has done to the food supply. Please check sugar content as well.... 6 teaspoons a day (or around 25g) of added sugar (not fruit) is the official recommendation. Anything over 20g of
    Sugar per 100g is considered a very high sugar food. Have a quick look at some of the low fat foods you're eating and see how much sugar is in it.

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,193 Member
    Options
    Not only do I like the low fat cottage cheese, but I also like the "light" or low fat cheese. I prefer the texture.
  • walking2running
    walking2running Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I love cottage cheese, including non-fat. I appreciate the variety. I eat my cottage cheese with 0.5 cup of frozen fruit. It is delicious.

I am just the opposite of a picky eater. I love all the food.
  • kar328
    kar328 Posts: 4,157 Member
    Options
    I tried both low and full fat when I started eating cottage cheese recently (spent my childhood thinking it looked and tasted like curdled milk). I go full fat, but will admit to buying the 2% if there's a really good sale :smiley:
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    i opted not to eat "low fat" anything, accept my milk is 1 %. the lower the fat, the higher the sugar content. i did try low fat cottage cheese, but um, no.never again lol

Oh yeah, that extra 1g of sugar really makes a huge difference :p

ETA: I picked 1% because it was cheaper. Maybe I'll give 2% a go if I find some cheap...