Options

Replies

• CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    Um. I guess I'm the only one who doesn't mind it
    I don't really mind it either.

I don't like large curd cottage cheese and would rather get low fat than that.

• glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,651 Member
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »
    The highest fat cottage cheese I've seen is 2%.

Don't try low sodium cottage cheese. Just don't. You're better off eating chalk.

The only cottage cheese I eat is 1% no salt added. It's great with protein powder added!
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    I honestly can't tell the difference. I've even had fat free. It all tastes like cottage cheese to me. I like it, though.
  • chocolate_owl
    chocolate_owl Posts: 1,695 Member
    Options
    I'll only eat fat-free cottage cheese. I gag with milk that's higher than 1%, too. I was raised on skim everything, so full-fat dairy is really offensive and awful to me.

I don't know what brands everyone is buying that has so much added sugar, but my regular grocery store brand has 1 or 2 g more sugar per serving than full fat. It's not added, it's just that there's a higher % of lactose per serving since the fat has been removed.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I'll only eat fat-free cottage cheese. I gag with milk that's higher than 1%, too. I was raised on skim everything, so full-fat dairy is really offensive and awful to me.

I don't know what brands everyone is buying that has so much added sugar, but my regular grocery store brand has 1 or 2 g more sugar per serving than full fat. It's not added, it's just that there's a higher % of lactose per serving since the fat has been removed.

Yeah I'm surprised that people still believe that they add sugar in plain low fat dairy products.
  • Sassie_Lassie
    Sassie_Lassie Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I used to do 1%, then upped it to 2% and now I do the full fat. The calories and fat content aren't that much different and I think it tastes loads better. I've actually pretty much stopped consuming non-fat/low fat foods. The taste of the "real" stuff is much better and worth the extra calories IMO.
  • louisepaul16
    louisepaul16 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »

Yeah I'm surprised that people still believe that they add sugar in plain low fat dairy products.

Well....you say you're surprised, but in the country I'm in (Switzerland) the ONLY cottage cheese that did not have added sugar in the ingredients was the full fat organic cottage cheese, so yes....there is added sugar in the cottage cheese I've been looking at. I'm not just talking about sugar listed in the ingredients, I'm talking about xantham gum, maltose,
    Dextrose, maltodextrin. I've found these things in a lot of stuff.
    I'm not arguing about if you want the low fat one, go for it. But just be aware of other sugars lurking in your products. Maybe there isn't added sugar, then that's great! ☺️

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,843 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »

Well....you say you're surprised, but in the country I'm in (Switzerland) the ONLY cottage cheese that did not have added sugar in the ingredients was the full fat organic cottage cheese, so yes....there is added sugar in the cottage cheese I've been looking at. I'm not just talking about sugar listed in the ingredients, I'm talking about xantham gum, maltose,
    Dextrose, maltodextrin. I've found these things in a lot of stuff.
    I'm not arguing about if you want the low fat one, go for it. But just be aware of other sugars lurking in your products. Maybe there isn't added sugar, then that's great! ☺️

The U.S. lowfat cottage cheese I eat does not have any of those added sugars, and has only 4g sugars per serving, which sounds line with the inherent milk sugar. Nor does my nonfat milk, or nonfat plain Greek yogurt, have added sugar. There can be a slightly higher sugar content per serving from the inherent sugars, as compared with the full-fat equivalent, simply because when you take the fat out, the sugar becomes a higher percentage of the remaining milk product than it was when the fat "diluted" it.

It's true that the flavored nonfat yogurts and such have added sugar - sometimes quite a lot of it - but that's also true of the equivalent full-fat flavored yogurts. I've never compared to see if they differ in added sugar, because I find them all unpleasantly sweet. (I know others feel differently.)
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I've just done a bit of checking and the difference in sugar between low fat cottage cheese and milk compared to the full cream versions is 1-2g. So not enough to worry about IMO.
  • melissafawnw
    melissafawnw Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Until recently, I had only tried fat free cottage cheese. The upgrade from fat free to low fat makes me like it!! I'm an 80s/90s kid and there were never full fat products in the house, so I can't get used to it.
  • CynthiasChoice
    CynthiasChoice Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    I agree. Brand is everything. I like Knudsen's 2%
  • ThatBearsFan
    ThatBearsFan Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Full fat - 2-4%, whatever your store carries. Low fat anything is usually code for chemical crapstorm, anyway. If you are watching carbs, they are usually higher on anything that says low fat vs higher fat options.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    I cannot eat at all -- even the Lactaid brands.
  • tbonethemighty
    tbonethemighty Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I love cottage cheese in pretty much all its iterations (okay, except for low-sodium -- not a fan of that). However, I'm finding this discussion pretty amusing. Where I live (Germany), there are 3 levels of cottage cheese: full fat 20%, low fat 4%, or nonfat.

Had 'em all...don't get me wrong, 20% is pretty amazing, but for the amount I eat, nonfat works best for my goals. And like I said, I enjoy it pretty much any way I can get it.
  • Scamd83
    Scamd83 Posts: 808 Member
    Options
    Just add some honey or flavoured protein powder and low fat cottage cheese tastes rather like a nice dessert.
  • Francl27
    Options
    Until recently, I had only tried fat free cottage cheese. The upgrade from fat free to low fat makes me like it!! I'm an 80s/90s kid and there were never full fat products in the house, so I can't get used to it.

That must be because I grew up in France but we only had full fat stuff in the house!
  • AlisonH729
    AlisonH729 Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    I've been eating Friendship brand 2% pot style and it's delicious. You're telling me the 4% is even better?
    It would probably be like the time I accidentally bought full fat Cabot Greek yogurt and it was like eating cream cheese. That one however, was not worth the 400 calories a cup...
  • Francl27
    Options
    AlisonH729 wrote: »
    I've been eating Friendship brand 2% pot style and it's delicious. You're telling me the 4% is even better?
    It would probably be like the time I accidentally bought full fat Cabot Greek yogurt and it was like eating cream cheese. That one however, was not worth the 400 calories a cup...

Might have to switch to 2% as I can't find the 4% anywhere anymore :(
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    It's so surprising to me that people can't find 4% cottage cheese. It's really common here (Chicago).

I got inspired by this thread to buy some yesterday (local farm brand, but it's available in all the store brands and mass market brands too), so will see if I like it better than I remember.

Not sure why I am doing this, as I love the 2% and it has fewer calories.
  • becomingvegannn
    becomingvegannn Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    This thread also inspired me to look for some 4% cottage cheese at my local grocery store.... And I couldn't find any! I did grab some 2% and am currently enjoying it with half a cup of blueberries. The last time I purchased cottage cheese I accidently picked up 1% and it was so watery and awful. I'm much happier with my 2% :blush: