What are your go-to dinners?

Options
I would like to bring a few new healthy recipes into my regular rotation and would love to know what are your top 5 go-to dinners?

Mine are currently (all with veggies):
1) turkey chili
2) tofu stir fry
3) roast chicken
4) roast beef
5) Asian salmon

Thanks in advance for the inspiration! :)

Replies

• MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    Options
    Asian salmon? Processed in China?
  • Jgommie
    Jgommie Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Lately I'm on an Indian food kick. So I make a bigger batch and I have several nights covered. I usually eat these with basmati rice.
    1) Shahjahani Dal
    2) Dal Makani (sp?)
    3) Punjabi Rajma
    4) Chicken Vindaloo
    5) Center loin pork chop thinly sliced
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options

Likely marinated in Asian flavors (soy sauce, ginger, rice wine vinegar, etc).
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Top 5? I don't have that many. There's the beef stir-fry, the pork stir-fry, the chicken stir-fry, and the salmon stir-fry. Just 4. Oh, wait! On weekends it's the chicken stir-fry.
  • WinoGelato
    Options
    Starting to grill more now that the weather is nice. Last night I wanted to use some of my fresh herbs:

Chicken marinated in lemon oregano wet rub. Orzo with pine nuts and more of the oregano rub.
    Roasted baby carrots and snap peas with mint.

• fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    Options
    1. italian breaded chicken with home made alfreado
    2. tacos
    3. skirt steak salad with beans, corn, pico, avocado, and a chipotle vinaigrette
    4. short ribs, mashed potatoes, roasted brussels, and carrots
    5. italian beaded chicken with risotto and a veg.
    6. lettuce wraps with a homemade sweet chili sauce

These are our go to's but I cook a wide verity of dinners.
  • Amerane
    Amerane Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    1. leftover saag with whatever rice/protein combo I have in the fridge
    2. chicken/salmon/shrimp fried rice
    3. salad with rotisserie chicken, strawberries, balsamic dressing, and garlic toast
    4. chicken soup with spinach, I ALWAYS have homemade chicken stock in my fridge
    5. chili & cornbread
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Protein and veg.
    Sometimes stir fried
    Sometimes not.

:)
  • mylifeisbeautiful
    mylifeisbeautiful Posts: 292 Member
    Options

Likely marinated in Asian flavors (soy sauce, ginger, rice wine vinegar, etc).

Ha - yeah sorry I just realized how unspecific and possibly culturally insensitive that could sound. It's an old recipe by that name but basically the same ingredients listed above :) Quite tasty!
  • mylifeisbeautiful
    mylifeisbeautiful Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    Starting to grill more now that the weather is nice. Last night I wanted to use some of my fresh herbs:

Chicken marinated in lemon oregano wet rub. Orzo with pine nuts and more of the oregano rub.

Yum! You sound like a great cook :D Fresh herbs are a great idea. Maybe I can set a few pots up on my fire escape.
  • jamielikesyou
    jamielikesyou Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Grilled seasonal veggies and mushrooms
    Curried eggplant and peas
    Cabbage soup
    Bean and guacamole burritos with lots of salsa
    Sweet potatoe bites and rice

My latest loves and eats. Big fan of my stovetop grill and slow cooker :)
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Super fast or no work dinners?

Super fast=vegetable omelet or omelet with veggies and smoked salmon. Also lentils with protein and veg or pasta with protein and veg.

Also super fast=fish plus multiple veggie sides (I love starches, but they take longer to cook unless you have leftovers). Or, a current favorite of mine: lean beef sliced and stir fried with whatever veggies are on hand (and jalapenos if possible), plus a huge mix of veggies (whatever you have on hand), plus something starchy (I added some polenta), plus perhaps (if you like spice), a bit of something like the Frontera enchilada sauce (low cal).

Or a burger, whole wheat bun, condiments you enjoy (I like spicy mustard, onions, and giardinara, and like the same with grilled tuna steak, also as fast), plus veggies (the bun is the starch).

Or, less fast but equally easy:

Roasted chicken breasts (bone in, skin on) plus root veg and other veg (only work was chopping and then figuring out when to put the various components in).
  • louisepaul16
    louisepaul16 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Roasted chicken leg, with veggies
    Baked salmon, rice And veggies
    Tomato and mozzarella (bit obsessed with this at the moment!)
    Chicken and cheese meatballs
    Homemade meatloaf
  • TheresaLisaJulieJean
    TheresaLisaJulieJean Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I roast the squash ahead of time and store in the fridge: http://www.ambitiouskitchen.com/2014/10/breakfast-baked-acorn-squash-greek-yogurt-honey-pecans/#_a5y_p=2659567

LOVE THIS!! http://www.closetcooking.com/2013/12/chicken-enchilada-stuffed-spaghetti.html

This is soooo good but kind of high calorie as is. I skip the rice and the raisins as they don't add much in terms of flavor or volume: http://www.parsleysagesweet.com/2010/10/13/stuffed-cabbage-like-grandma-used-to-make/

Yummy! But only eat this fresh...do not make in advance:
    http://www.skinnykitchen.com/recipes/super-low-calorie-honey-mustard-broccoli-slaw/
  • greywolf244
    greywolf244 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I don't cook it my friend does but love thai food its a lot of stir fry veg very quick can be spicy but the weight just drops off after a week of bad eating
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I have more than five, in weekly/2/3/4/12-weekly rotation:
    Tuesdays: Chicken thigh/wings or pork chop w/sweet potato mash or barley, and peas/green beans
    Thursdays: Salmon filet w/rice and peas/green beans, or pickled herring w/onions and potato mash
    Saturdays: Cheese on toast, or pancakes
    Sundays: Lamb or beef chops w/mashed potatoes and oven roasted brussel sprouts or parsnips or boiled asparagus, or sliced ham, corn on the cob and boiled artichoke w/melted butter
  • mjwarbeck
    mjwarbeck Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    Sichuan - Fragrent and hot fish/tofu, bok choi
    Thai - Green curry shrimp
    Lamb shoulder chops, sweet potato
    Risotto - mushroom, pistachio and arugula
    Broiled Atlantic salmon, boiled new potatoes in olive oil and chives, a green and sorel sauce
    Borscht and perogies

Other common
    Veggie chilli
    Bean or chicken soft tacos with fresh toppings
  • fr33sia12
    fr33sia12 Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    Salmon with veggies & rice
    Vegetarian chilli con carne
    Pasta with home made sauce & veggies
  • WinoGelato
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »

Yum! You sound like a great cook :D Fresh herbs are a great idea. Maybe I can set a few pots up on my fire escape.

Thanks! I love fresh herbs. I have good luck with rosemary, oregano, thyme, basil and mint. I can never get cilantro to grow, which is a bummer!
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    Options
    baked fish with cajun seasoning and dredged in panko crumbs w/baked potato or baked sweet potato

grilled chicken or baked chicken w/chicken seasoning w/roasted baby red potatoes (w/parsley, EVOO, salt/pepper)

I also roast or sautee veggies (peppers and onions and such) with some meats

I rarely eat red meat but at times will fix a turkey loaf or regular ground beef (95%) meatloaf.

spicy black bean burger w/salad

Veggies: corn, green peas, fresh green beans, roasted or baked potatoes of any kind, cooked carrots, butter beans