is there any chance i could grow taller

Replies

• Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Achieve mental growth- Alter the dress to fit you instead of altering your body to fit a dress. It is easy to hem a dress. It is extremely unlikely/impossible to grow 2" as an adult.
    Wear taller shoes.

I am 5'4" and haven't grown any taller since I was 16 years old. Sometimes clothes are too long and I shorten them.
  • ForeverSunshine09
    ForeverSunshine09 Posts: 966 Member
    I am 5'3.5 and can't wear heels because of leg braces and my wedding dress looked amazing on me! It will be perfect one it is hemmed to your height. Trust me!
  • JazCopycat
    JazCopycat Posts: 28 Member
    There are those sealing hooks that you can use to install body stretching chair. U sit in it for 8h straight every day.
  • TxTiffani
    TxTiffani Posts: 798 Member
    I'm 5'1...you seem pretty tall to me LOL. If you hate heels then alter the length of your dress and rock your flats;)
  • zain1102
    zain1102 Posts: 1 Member
    I am 33 years old and have always been 5'4. I had a baby almost 12 weeks ago and suddenly seemed to have grown to 5'5. I have no idea how.
    Have checked & re-checked at the doctors & hospital etc. and yep I have grown an inch taller.
    I would rather have lost the weight to be honest.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,886 Member
    esraad1989 wrote: »
    Im 26 years old im 5.4 ft i really wish im 2 inches taller im just wondering is there anything that can be done at this point ❓❓ i really never had any issues before with this but ive been trying on wedding dresses those past few days since my wedding is 2 months away

You can't outgrow a long dress. Get it hemmed.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Machka9 wrote: »
    It's not something you can change.

Yep ... once a woman gets her period, that's pretty much the end of height growth.

That's ridiculous!!!
  • Sarahb29
    Sarahb29 Posts: 952 Member
    esraad1989 wrote: »
    Im 26 years old im 5.4 ft i really wish im 2 inches taller im just wondering is there anything that can be done at this point ❓❓ i really never had any issues before with this but ive been trying on wedding dresses those past few days since my wedding is 2 months away

There's nothing you can do about your height, that's just your genetics. There's no diet you can be on to make yourself grow taller. They can alter your dress to be shorter or you can wear heels (even small kitten heels would work). I'd go with getting the dress altered - if you're not comfortable in heels lets not make the wedding more stressful and force yourself to learn how to walk in heels. You don't want to trip!

Anyway it's up to you, but no, there's obviously no way to change your bones in two months...

Fun fact, even though you can't change your height your foot size can change. Once you become pregnant your feet swell up, your hormones kick in and the bones in your feet shift around to accommodate it. I went from a size 10 to a size 11 and didn't ever go back to a 10 :(

http://www.livescience.com/27583-foot-size-pregnancy.html
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    There are rare anecdotal accounts of people who have grown taller later in life after height growth had stopped, but generally these situations are limited to those who did not have a proper diet growing up. Otherwise, any upward change in height is generally attributed to postural improvements.
  • jen_bush
    jen_bush Posts: 679 Member
    edited May 2016
    Because you are past epiphyseal closure, even absolute excess of growth hormone along with other factors involved in body growth - would only make your bones go wider rather than longer, thus creating an abnormality known as acromelagy (large extremities, such as hands, feet and lower jaw). So it is purely biologically impossible to get taller.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Noel_57 wrote: »
    zain1102 wrote: »
    I am 33 years old and have always been 5'4.
    Wow I bet your mom had a rough delivery. :o

:laugh:
  • jen_bush
    jen_bush Posts: 679 Member
    Noel_57 wrote: »
    @Tavistock Someone wasn't amused. I got flagged.

It was pretty funny :D
  • robininfl
    robininfl Posts: 1,137 Member
    I am 33 years old and have always been 5'4. I had a baby almost 12 weeks ago and suddenly seemed to have grown to 5'5. I have no idea how.
    Have checked & re-checked at the doctors & hospital etc. and yep I have grown an inch taller.

Yeah, they kept measuring my height at the WIC office with my last baby (I was almost FORTY) and i asked them why, I had been the same height for almost twenty years and already had 3 kids, and they said "you never know, we measure height because sometimes women do grow during pregnancy". So maybe that is a special situation?
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    robininfl wrote: »

Yeah, they kept measuring my height at the WIC office with my last baby (I was almost FORTY) and i asked them why, I had been the same height for almost twenty years and already had 3 kids, and they said "you never know, we measure height because sometimes women do grow during pregnancy". So maybe that is a special situation?
    http://www.naturalheightgrowth.com/2012/10/21/even-more-evidence-that-pregnancy-can-lead-to-height-increase-this-must-be-considered/
    http://www.naturalheightgrowth.com/2012/10/21/pregnancy-causes-hand-feet-extremity-increase-in-length-and-width-and-height-increase-strange/
  • koslowkj
    koslowkj Posts: 188 Member
    Growth happens mostly in your long bones (think arm and leg bones). Once you pass puberty, those bones physically cannot grow any longer. Better posture can make you look taller, but there's pretty much no chance of you actually growing any taller.
  • RAinWA
    RAinWA Posts: 1,980 Member
    I gained 1/4 of an inch in height after a spinal fusion at age 50, but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. But it did make me 5"1' exactly!
  • ElizabethOakes2
    ElizabethOakes2 Posts: 1,038 Member
    edited May 2016
    Machka9 wrote: »
    It's not something you can change.

Yep ... once a woman gets her period, that's pretty much the end of height growth.

After that any addition perception of height is accomplished through high heels and good posture.

Not true. I was 4'8" when I was 13 and started. I was 5'2 when I finished high school, and grew two inches between ages 18 and 24 to end up at 5'4". (However, with spinal surgery, I'm now 5' 3.25", So, I've shrunk.)
    But expecting a late growth spurt at 26 is a little too much. Wear heels, get your dress altered (Hems are easy to do yourself if you can't afford professional alteration). Also, it's a dress you are going to wear ONCE. As long as you don't trip over it walking down the aisle, no one is going to notice if it sweeps the floor.
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    I actually grew 0.5" after losing the weight at age 40ish. I didn't believe it, so I had the nurses at my gyn's office and my primary doc, as well as the pre-surgical nurse for knee surgery, double-check. Yup I'm now 5'3" not 5'2.5".

Of course, I didn't really "grow", just that my posture improved a lot. I did lose a lot of weight though - 1/3rd of my body weight in total.