How do YOU get in your fruits and vegetables?

Options
13»

Replies

• MarziPanda95
    MarziPanda95 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    Er... badly. Student life! :s
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,147 Member
    Options
    I love fruits and veggies and find them very easy to fit in - so many have very low calories for the volume, and that volume's part of what I find satiating (along with adequate amounts of protein & healthy fat). I prefer to eat rather than drink them, though. More satisfying! The recommended 9 servings is pretty easy for me to get.

Today, I had mixed berries in my oatmeal; a large plate of raw veggies with lunch (celery, cherry tomatoes, cucumber, jicama, bell pepper, avocado); kale, onion & cremini mushrooms in scrambled eggs for dinner, with a side of broiled asparagus & fresh tomatoes with a little balsamic vinegar on them.

That plate of raw veggies with lunch gave me 460g (over a pound!) or crunchy, nutrition-filled, filling tastiness for 153 calories (and it would've been 95 calories and still 424g without the avocado).

Yes, I'm vegetarian, but ovo-lacto (eat eggs & dairy). I actually think that in some ways it would be easier to make the nutrition work out, including fruit/veg, if one ate meat, as most of the most calorie-efficient protein sources are meats or fish.

Today, only the berries were frozen, but I frequently eat other frozen fruit/veg, and some canned, bottled, pickled, or dried.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    n1cholee93 wrote: »
    Does anyone do smoothies? I'm not going to lie, i've never been proper about getting in my fruits and vegetables, on a calorie restricted diet, i'm even worse about it. How do you fit them in?

I eat them with every meal. For example, a typical breakfast for me would be a 4 egg white omelet with spinach and I usually top that with 1/2 cup of Kimchi and a bowl of oats or some beans. Lunch is typically some kind of protein with 1 cup of either brown rice or quinoa and 4-6 ounces of vegetables...I often do broccoli because it's easy to steam in the microwave, but I often have veggies leftover from the previous evening too. I generally have an apple every day for a snack and usually some Greek yogurt with frozen blueberries as well. Dinner is typically some kind of lean protein with a double serving of vegetables (usually a mixed variety) that take up about half my plate.

The only time I really do a smoothie is for recovery after a particularly long ride. They are great for recovery because by breaking down the food with your blender, you are requiring your body to do less work and thus the smoothie is going to hit my system faster and I'm going to absorb more of that energy than I otherwise would have had I eaten the ingredients instead.

Great menu. And after all this time it still sounds kinda south beach like.

YUM!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    BikeTourer wrote: »
    jen_bush wrote: »
    I just try and have some with every meal... Smoothies and juices I've been told off about as they lose the fibres and become pure sugar apparently

smoothies don't lose their fiber. Fiber doesn't disappear. They are reported to increase insulin more than chewed food though. So there's that. My smoothies have nuts, seeds, protein etc, so that helps slow down the insulin response.
    Juicing DOES dump a lot of the fiber.
    jen_bush wrote: »
    I just try and have some with every meal... Smoothies and juices I've been told off about as they lose the fibres and become pure sugar apparently

smoothies don't lose their fiber. Fiber doesn't disappear. They are reported to increase insulin more than chewed food though. So there's that. My smoothies have nuts, seeds, protein etc, so that helps slow down the insulin response.
    Juicing DOES dump a lot of the fiber.

Ditto if you make you own smoothies from whole food. Many commercial products use juices. I prefer to eat my calories than drink them so I just make them part of the plan.
    Good point. I forgot about those pre-made smoothie ingredients. cheers
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    64crayons wrote: »
    JaneiR36 wrote: »
    One pound of veg per day holy shiznit this is the major leagues...

I never paid attention to the total weight of the fruits and veggies I eat in a day. Your comment made me go look at what I've had so far today. Are you sitting down? So far I've had 782 grams (27 ounces, or 1.72 pounds) of mostly vegetables today. And I'm not vegetarian! I just eat massive quantities of vegetables because I like them, and they're low-calorie for the volume.

Was Snack 2 just you munching on a bunch of veggies, was it part of a salad or anything like that?
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Breakfast included currants and bananas. Dinner it was roasted butternut squash and corn.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Does anyone do smoothies? I'm not going to lie, i've never been proper about getting in my fruits and vegetables, on a calorie restricted diet, i'm even worse about it. How do you fit them in?

I eat a good many with every meal. Usually 3 servings or so. Mostly veg.
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    I put spinach in everything. Since I eat low carb high fat most of my carbs are from veggies. I eat them raw with dip, sauté in butter or coconut oil, scramble with my eggs, steam and toss with garlic butter, and put them in my smoothies. Love my veggies!

Fruit I only eat once a day--one serving goes in my breakfast smoothie.
  • sarah101089
    sarah101089 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Zoats!
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Soup is a good way to get some veggies in, with meat or without.
    I sautee peppers/onions to eat with chicken or with eggs at breakfast
    Meatloaf and spaghetti sauce is a great way to sneak veggies in by chopping finely and they get cooked
    steamed broccoli with cheese or plain with salt is good too
    I will eat carrot sticks in place of chips with a sandwich. They are especially good with tuna.
    baked potato or baked sweet potato

I have a harder time getting fruits in than I do veggies. I will eat bananas more often than anything on bread w/mayo or PB, depending on my mood.
  • JessHealthKick
    JessHealthKick Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    I have vegetables with lunch and dinner, sometimes breakfast. Large salad with lunch, and steamed vegetables with dinner. I also snack on capsicum and zucchini when I have it handy (but it's oh so expensive here :( )
  • Nicklebee93
    Nicklebee93 Posts: 316 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Thanks for all the sugestions! I try to keep things balanced but i tend to get bored! And my calorie restriction doesn't give me much room to mess around.

2 eggs this morning with red peppers and a orange. Already at 300 cals this morning! I will have to try a healthy stir fry, and i might try spinach with my eggs, that souds yummy!! Oatmeal with fruit is a favorite but i miss out on veggies that way.
  • KDar1988
    KDar1988 Posts: 650 Member
    Options
    Hooked on blueberries lately. They are my go to for something sweet. I have been eating salads and trying to get a vegetable at dinner but not always successful. Sometimes I'm just not in the mood. I'm going to try sautéing some collard greens tonight though. Never done that before but watched a cooking demo on them last week so I'm anxious to try them.

I stay away from smoothies because I think the calories add up way to fast for me.
  • ReaderGirl3
    ReaderGirl3 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the sugestions! I try to keep things balanced but i tend to get bored! And my calorie restriction doesn't give me much room to mess around.

2 eggs this morning with red peppers and a orange. Already at 300 cals this morning! I will have to try a healthy stir fry, and i might try spinach with my eggs, that souds yummy!! Oatmeal with fruit is a favorite but i miss out on veggies that way.

When I make scrambled eggs I do one whole egg and then 3 egg whites, to cut down on calories.Throw in some veggies with the eggs and top with salsa or hot sauce. Under 200 calories this way and you get a lot of food :)
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Fruit smoothies, fruit salad with lunch, big salads, stir fries, side of veg with dinner, soups/stews. It's really easy if you make sure you implement fruits and vegetables into every meal.
  • okungbowa
    okungbowa Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I used 2cups of kale,2 cups of spinach, 2cups almond milk and a banana smoothie 2-3 times for my morning meal.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I simply have a personal goal to include vegetables (ideally 2-3 servings) with all meals. I do this at breakfast usually with a vegetable omelet, but if not I have some veggies on the side. At lunch and dinner it's reasonably easy (I really like salad with protein for lunch). I rarely have smoothies, but have been experimenting with a super quick breakfast and found that I love a smoothie made of half a banana, half a pear, some coconut milk, protein powder, a small cucumber (or half), and a lot of spinach.

I don't worry about fruit but tend to naturally include some fruit with lunch or for a snack or as a side at dinner quite often. More in the summer because there's so much delicious fruit available.

Vegetables have so few calories that I never worry about fitting them in (I do log them, but I don't limit them)-- I've never found them really making a difference in whether I end up going over or not, and I consider them an essential part of my meals.
  • paradi3s
    paradi3s Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Luckily, I LOVE my fruits and veggies, so if I see vegetables or fruits, I just eat it.

Usually I have fruits to start my day and always have a helping of vegetables for lunch and dinner.