What is your experience with Creatine?

Options
I'm a female using Creatine with the program Body Beast. I've never used it before and researched it a bit first. I bought some from GNC and it's Creatine Nitrate. The sales guy said it wouldn't cause as much water retention. I have gained about 5 lbs in 3 weeks. I was also at 150#'s and eating at 2000 calories as part of the Build/Bulk portion. I was wondering what everyone's experience was with it.

Replies

• kimjwwolven
    kimjwwolven Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Very hard on the kidneys be careful with it marketing is unbelievably horrible it's not going to benefit you at all take it back and get your microscopically irritates the kidneys to where they bleed no one tells you that because they're trying to sell it
  • ganzelly
    ganzelly Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I'm interested to hear other people's opinions on creatine. I never used it but all the research i saw is that it's safe unless a person has underlying medical conditions. (And the recommended dosage is used).
  • Sarc_Warrior
    Sarc_Warrior Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Supplements are a waste of money
  • random_123
    random_123 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I'm a female using Creatine with the program Body Beast. I've never used it before and researched it a bit first. I bought some from GNC and it's Creatine Nitrate. The sales guy said it wouldn't cause as much water retention. I have gained about 5 lbs in 3 weeks. I was also at 150#'s and eating at 2000 calories as part of the Build/Bulk portion. I was wondering what everyone's experience was with it.

I'd ditch it. I used to use it quite a bit and I did see some small demonstrable effects on my 1RM, but I'm dubious about its bulking effects - did you load it first or start taking maintenance amounts right away? Anyway, frankly you're better served ditching it and making room for some extra whey or lean meat/fish in your diet plan while on a bulk. A small number of people do suffer from bloating and stomach aches as well so if you're one of those, definitely no point in using it.
  • chessmaster1993
    chessmaster1993 Posts: 11 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Have taken creatine monohydrate for a couple years, with good results. A little bit of water weight, I switched to creatine hcl, and dropped some water weight. I was taking 5 grams a day of creatine monohydrate, I now take 2 grams of creatine hcl per day. I would recommend looking up your supplements on examine.com for unbiased info. Good luck!
  • kimdawnhayden
    kimdawnhayden Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I did not "load" the creatine. I'm only taking 3 grams per day. I read the article and it seems very good except I had read that creatine had been around since the 1970's and the article said only a few years. I will keep it up for a few more weeks during the Build/Bulk phase and stop it during the Leaning out phase. I have noticed definite gains in my lifts. I haven't lifted in a couple years and in just a few weeks I'm doing a lot of the lifts at close to my old lifts. The only problem I've noticed besides the weight gain is an upset stomach in the beginning and one night we had sushi and too much sodium and my hands swelled really bad the next day.
  • 2015Jason
    2015Jason Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I've been using it for just a couple months. I feel (subjectivity warning) like it does help me bust out just a little more on my workout. It's also inexpensive and fine unless you have some kind of preexisting kidney problems. I noticed a couple of pounds of water weight when loading but not much.
  • Jams009
    Jams009 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I've taken it for years. The effect is subtle, but I can tell the difference if I stop taking it for a few weeks.
  • LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    Many people get confused because they think it works like some sort of legal steroid. Creatine basically helps you recover more efficiently. It draws in more water to your muscles which allows for greater protein synthesis (hence your water weight gain). You still have to put in hard work to see results, but it just stretches your hard work a tiny bit farther. You aren't going to suddenly get a major strength boost shortly after taking creatine.

My experience is that it can have subtle yet effective results over a period of time. I also recommend you fully research anything you want to put in your body, and that you always start without them so you have a baseline for progression. Too many listen to those that recommend useless "stacks" before they even start, and don't know if it's making a difference for them.

TL;DR, most supplements suck but creatine is an exception, research, creatine is effective but not as drastically as most would expect, water weight.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    I did not "load" the creatine. I'm only taking 3 grams per day. I read the article and it seems very good except I had read that creatine had been around since the 1970's and the article said only a few years. I will keep it up for a few more weeks during the Build/Bulk phase and stop it during the Leaning out phase. I have noticed definite gains in my lifts. I haven't lifted in a couple years and in just a few weeks I'm doing a lot of the lifts at close to my old lifts. The only problem I've noticed besides the weight gain is an upset stomach in the beginning and one night we had sushi and too much sodium and my hands swelled really bad the next day.

Relatively speaking, in terms of supplements, the 1970s were only a few years ago. Still, creatine is probably the most well researched supplement available on the market (if not the oldest).

Make sure you're getting plenty of water. You don't want to dehydrate.
    Also, the swelling hands is most likely all the sodium's fault. Unlike sodium, which causes water retention under the skin and/or adipose tissue (fat), creatine draws moisture into the actual muscle tisse. So creatine may make your bicep look a tad bit more "puffy" but shouldn't cause your hands and feet to swell.

Also, you wouldn't need to discontinue taking creatine while you're on a cut. In fact, many find it quite valuable in keeping up the intensity of their workouts on fewer calories. Heavy lifts (which can be assisted by creatine) are crucial to maintaining muscle mass while on a cut.
  • kimdawnhayden
    Options
    Thanks @Carlos_421 Good to know about the cutting phase.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    No problem!
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    I have an autoimmune disease and my kidney function is slightly impaired, so I do not use creatine daily. If your kidneys are clearing it, it does help. (See link to bodybuilding.com above)

I did use it on Sunday afternoon an hour or so before a 5k because I have found it helpful when I run. I was recovering from a migraine and I needed the help keeping my muscles hydrated. I use BCAAs instead of creatine on weight lifting days. That works for my health situation, YMMV.
  • kimdawnhayden
    Options
    I have an autoimmune disease and my kidney function is slightly impaired, so I do not use creatine daily. If your kidneys are clearing it, it does help. (See link to bodybuilding.com above)

I did use it on Sunday afternoon an hour or so before a 5k because I have found it helpful when I run. I was recovering from a migraine and I needed the help keeping my muscles hydrated. I use BCAAs instead of creatine on weight lifting days. That works for my health situation, YMMV.
    My husband is a runner and sometime suffers from bad cramping in his calfs. I wonder if that would help.
  • inezbruce
    inezbruce Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Creatine will give you shaky bones.
  • Soundwave79
    Soundwave79 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    I've been on it for close to 6 months and I did experience a 5lbs weight gain. I was at 182 and went up to 187 in about a weeks time. Since then I've been maintaining at 186 with little fluctuation. I've had no side effects that I have noticed and have broken through quite a few PR's. My 1RM has gone up immensely on every lift. Which is tough to do eating at maintenance. So it's def something I'm going to continue to take. It's cheap, the scientific studies on the benefits are well researched and after speaking with my doctor as long as I don't start overdosing he said I needn't worry about the kidney issues. He ordered bloodwork about a month or so ago and my numbers came back fine and I'm doing 5 grams per day.

http://examine.com/supplements/creatine/

That site has some really good information on the studies and benefits. If you scroll down you'll see there is very strong evidence in the studies that it increases power output
    Creatine is the reference compound for power improvement, with numbers from one meta-analysis to assess potency being "Able to increase a 12% improvement in strength to 20% and able to increase a 12% increase in power to 26% following a training regiment using creatine monohydrate".
  • cajuntank
    cajuntank Posts: 924 Member
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    random_123 wrote: »

I'd ditch it. I used to use it quite a bit and I did see some small demonstrable effects on my 1RM, but I'm dubious about its bulking effects - did you load it first or start taking maintenance amounts right away? Anyway, frankly you're better served ditching it and making room for some extra whey or lean meat/fish in your diet plan while on a bulk. A small number of people do suffer from bloating and stomach aches as well so if you're one of those, definitely no point in using it.

You clearly don't understand how creatine works or what it's supposed to do.
    It's not a "bulking aid." It's a strength training aid (hence your results on 1rm).

OP, if you want to read all the details of how creatine actually works, you can read about it here (it's too much info to post):
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/layne13.htm

But basically, creatine 1) provides an increased amount of creatine phosphate (key energy source for heavy lifting) and 2) causes increased hydration of the muscle tissue (which is why they say it causes you to retain water).

This results in the ability to add a few pounds to your lift and/or get in an extra rep or two. Those extra pounds/reps result in a more intense workout which leads to greater results over time.

Most people will find it effective while there is a very small percentage of outliers who, for whatever reason, are non-responders who don't see any benefits.

As for taking it, 5 grams per day is good for most people. You can "load" it if you prefer but it isn't necessary. Loading does cause you to reach saturation more quickly but you'll reach it soon enough either way (saturation is the point where there's enough creatine in your system that it can't hold anymore so you're getting as much benefit as possible).
    Taking more than your body can hold just results in creatine being excreted in your urine.

Also worth noting is that creatine is now available is several different forms.
    Creatine monohydrate is still the cheapest and most readily available.
    Other types (like the creatine nitrate you were sold) are marketing hype to be able to charge more for creatine.
    Some types may boast a quicker uptake but monohydrate is already so readily absorbed by the body that to improve on it brings no benefit.

^^ This x 2. Just to add, there is also research linked, outside of performance, where Creatine has also been shown to aid in treatment of various neurological issues including protection again brain trauma.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1691485/
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11079535