Running ruined my metabolism?

Options

Replies

• Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Almost all of the "decreased metabolism" that occurs with aging is due to loss of muscle mass, not necessarily some inherent "slowdown" due to the aging process.

We also tend to significantly decrease casual activity as we get older.

And, if protein intake remains adequate, and you are not in a severe calorie deficit, steady-state exercise, even at fairly high volumes, will not by itself result in muscle loss.
  • Scamd83
    Scamd83 Posts: 808 Member
    Options
    The only way you could really ruin your metabolism is if you died. So if you're alive and not posting from beyond the grave, you're probably fine.
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    WakkoW wrote: »
    JazCopycat wrote: »
    Despite what everyone says, It depends if your age!

What depends on your age?

The number of birthdays you've experienced?

I'm 44 and have yet to peak. I'm more of a fine wine though.

Peak what?
    Her question was did running ruin her metabolism. You answered it depends on your age. So do running ruin your metabolism at a certain age? Does a certain age ruin your metabolism.

I didn't answer that. In my experience recovery time is effected by age.

I didnt realize your question was serious.

She hasn't run since 2014.
    I didn't realize we were talking about recovery time.

Well, it appears the OP had a face palm moment and figured out it was the calories. (Too much food)

I have a strong dislike for anyone who blames age. No, it's inactivity coupled with increased wine intake that is the cause of your weight gain, not age.

Muscle mass decreases with inactivity. If we remain active, we get to keep that muscle for a longer period of time.

I was confused because when you responded, I thought you were the one I asked. I thought you were the one who posted about age. My point was also going to be don't blame age.

Yeah, I thought I was agreeing with you. But I've had some wine tonight, so what I think and reality might not be synching.

We're cool now though.

fist bump.

I have also had some wine. LOL.

WINE FOR EVERYONE!

The cause of... and solution to... all of life's problems.

I always thought more cheese would solve most of the world's problems. o:) LOL!

• JYereRun79
    JYereRun79 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    JYereRun79 wrote: »
    Noel_57 wrote: »
    About metabolism, maybe serious exercise "resets" something. I had a big time regain years ago when I suddenly stopped exercising, and I have never quite been able to even get back to my pre-exercise weight. I don't know. I wonder if anyone else has experienced this. Hope you find success here!

I experienced this, but it was due to inactivity on my part. From 2008 to 2010 I was training for marathons consistently, which resulted in serious weight loss. I was a vegan for most of that time, which helped in getting lean. In early 2010 I was transferred to a new job for the Army and started packing on the pounds, but this was due to my work schedule and lack of exercise. Once I started training again, I noticed the weight started falling off and I really monitored my nutrition, which aided in my weight loss. As someone said, "weight loss begins in the kitchen."

For the original blog creator, running would only help you lose weight. Though, without proper nutrition and rest you will see very little results. Good luck with losing the weight, you should pick up running again, but monitor your nutrition closer.

being a vegan does not help you get lean....otherwise the change in the job wouldn't have mattered...

Being a vegan will help with exercise. The information that I left out was the fact that I went back to eating dairy and fish. This change in dieting habits increase the possibilities of gaining the weight back. Which ultimately occurred. Also, sociological factors were at play too. But a vegan diet and proper exercise will increase the likelihood of weight loss.
  • misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,767 Member
    Options
    About metabolism, maybe serious exercise "resets" something. I had a big time regain years ago when I suddenly stopped exercising, and I have never quite been able to even get back to my pre-exercise weight. I don't know. I wonder if anyone else has experienced this. Hope you find success here!

I experienced this, but it was due to inactivity on my part. From 2008 to 2010 I was training for marathons consistently, which resulted in serious weight loss. I was a vegan for most of that time, which helped in getting lean. In early 2010 I was transferred to a new job for the Army and started packing on the pounds, but this was due to my work schedule and lack of exercise. Once I started training again, I noticed the weight started falling off and I really monitored my nutrition, which aided in my weight loss. As someone said, "weight loss begins in the kitchen."

For the original blog creator, running would only help you lose weight. Though, without proper nutrition and rest you will see very little results. Good luck with losing the weight, you should pick up running again, but monitor your nutrition closer.

being a vegan does not help you get lean....otherwise the change in the job wouldn't have mattered...

Being a vegan will help with exercise. The information that I left out was the fact that I went back to eating dairy and fish. This change in dieting habits increase the possibilities of gaining the weight back. Which ultimately occurred. Also, sociological factors were at play too. But a vegan diet and proper exercise will increase the likelihood of weight loss.

No, it doesn't. Otherwise there'd be no fat vegans. And there are.

You can lose weight without going vegan. I just had a delicious steak for dinner and I've finished the day just at my calorie goal.
  • lizzy_satellite
    lizzy_satellite Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    JazCopycat wrote: »
    Despite what everyone says, It depends if your age!

I'm 44 and eat more and weigh less than when I was 19. Age is irrelevant if you're fuelling yourself appropriately for your calorie needs at your current activity level.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options

no it won't.

exercise is not required for weight loss and vegan WOE does not increase the probability of weight loss either...calorie deficit does that and you can get that eating twinkies all day or MacDonalds...

ETA: how does eating vegan help with exercise???? that makes no sense at all...as well most vegans are deficient in B12 so there is that...B12 helps with energy...
  • rsenor
    rsenor Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    If you're looking into getting into any sort of exercise regime, it's better to look at fat loss, not weight loss as you're body goes through changes in the beginning that don't necessary translate to the scale.

THIS! ^^ Do photos and BFP! You can really visually swap out a lot of fat for a much smaller quantity of muscle because muscle weighs *much* more than fat. When I first started trying to get into shape some years ago, I did body for life, which has kind of fallen out of fashion, but it was based on a bodybuilder's starter routine and involved lifting heavily 3 days a week and HIIT cardio 3 days a week. I lost a whopping 4 pounds- that was it- but my body fat went from like 25% to around 17%, and my photo changes from beginning to end were dramatic.
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    ...Did running mess something up? What's your opinion....

No. What happened is you probably increased your calorie consumption when running. When you stopped running you continued to eat the same amount so you gained weight.
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    You can't ruin your metabolism
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

xxry35wtacbb.jpeg
  • kimdawnhayden
    kimdawnhayden Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Go lift weights. Seriously. I'm 45 and it's about the only thing that helps me. Also I really hate running. Makes my face red, I sweat, and I'm always out of breath. :)
  • RosieRose7673
    RosieRose7673 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Go lift weights. Seriously. I'm 45 and it's about the only thing that helps me. Also I really hate running. Makes my face red, I sweat, and I'm always out of breath. :)

I love running. But I do sweat buckets. Just always how I've been. After running a mile, I look like I just jumped in a lake. 6 miles... Oh boy am I gross!

But I still do it and continue to challenge myself!
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    Running didn't ruin my metabolism but it sure did lead to portion distortion.

Given the significant amount of energy expenditure I can rack up when training properly it means I can eat much more. This means the portion size of all my meals (and snacks) increase and my perception of what was a large serving of food changes to "this is normal size".

What happens when I stop training properly? Well the increased portions stick around but not the energy expenditure...
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    jofjltncb6 wrote: »

Sounds like your conditioning could use some improvement.

A great way to improve that is by...

...yup...

...running.

(You would also benefit from my basic approach to fitness/self-improvement which is, "that which is hard, do.")

That's what I did...used c25k and now can run a 5k at will...yes I sweat but never out of breath or legs too tired...lifting helped with that.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    msf74 wrote: »
    Running didn't ruin my metabolism but it sure did lead to portion distortion.

Given the significant amount of energy expenditure I can rack up when training properly it means I can eat much more. This means the portion size of all my meals (and snacks) increase and my perception of what was a large serving of food changes to "this is normal size".

What happens when I stop training properly? Well the increased portions stick around but not the energy expenditure...

I noticed that when I was running, a 600 calorie burn would lead me to want to eat at least 800 more calories. I really had to pay attention to keep that from happening. I suspect it would have eventually leveled off though.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

no it won't.

exercise is not required for weight loss and vegan WOE does not increase the probability of weight loss either...calorie deficit does that and you can get that eating twinkies all day or MacDonalds...

ETA: how does eating vegan help with exercise???? that makes no sense at all...as well most vegans are deficient in B12 so there is that...B12 helps with energy...

Clarification: although vegans do have higher rates of B12 deficiency than some other populations, it isn't accurate to say that *most* vegans are deficient in B12. B12 deficiency can be avoided through the consumption of fortified foods or supplements. It's certainly something that vegans should be aware of, but it isn't something that most vegans are suffering from.
  • SezxyStef
    Options

no it won't.

Clarification: although vegans do have higher rates of B12 deficiency than some other populations, it isn't accurate to say that *most* vegans are deficient in B12. B12 deficiency can be avoided through the consumption of fortified foods or supplements. It's certainly something that vegans should be aware of, but it isn't something that most vegans are suffering from.

https://chriskresser.com/what-everyone-especially-vegetarians-should-know-about-b12-deficiency/

This says otherwise...

*note I normally don't use "articles or blogs" but this one sites many studies.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

no it won't.

https://chriskresser.com/what-everyone-especially-vegetarians-should-know-about-b12-deficiency/

This says otherwise...

*note I normally don't use "articles or blogs" but this one sites many studies.

I'm not familar with that study, so thanks for pointing it out to me. I know that author is anti-vegan and it doesn't match what I've previously read, so I will look into it. I will say that even though B12 deficiency is something for vegans to be aware of, it can be completely avoided by proper supplementation and it's something everyone should be aware of (as the largest group of people with B12 deficiency isn't vegans, but people over 55).