can i take a break on vacation?

Options
2»

Replies

• ertrauma
    ertrauma Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I always leave myself one hour each day for a workout when I'm on vacay. It makes me feel like I'm not blowing off my goals. The facilities are usually really fantastic and it's a great break from the "usual" place(s) to work out. Other than that, eat what you want, drink what you want and DON'T calorie count!!!
  • beernutz
    beernutz Posts: 136
    Options
    I think I'm in the majority here by recommending that you loosen up a bit in that situation. Life is too short to totally deprive yourself in those type situations. My theory is that if you don't have the discipline to allow yourself controlled exceptions to your diet plan, you probably aren't going to be able to stay with that plan long term anyway.

My family and I did a four day cruise back in May where I faced the exact same question. I decided to try to stick to my diet for the most part but allowed myself one free meal a day where I could eat what I wanted. I didn't want to gorge myself in that meal but just loosen my normal restrictions. It was Carnival so I had to give myself an out for warm chocolate melting cake and a hot calzone from the pizza bar. Just be reasonable about what your eating and drinking and you should be ok imo. I did walk an hour every morning before breakfast which mitigated any guilt I may have felt over my free meal. I gained a few pounds but quickly lost them back within a week after I got home and went back to my old diet.
  • brendalyne
    brendalyne Posts: 497
    Options
    After 105 days (but who's counting?) of "eating healthy" I have found that when I eat crap, I feel like crap! And, I don't LIKE feeling like that - who would? For example, last night I attended a dinner meeting......and pizza was served. I only ate one piece, along with a large salad and small dish of ice cream with strawberries. And shortly after eating I felt really awful. I felt like I had a sugar/carb hangover! So.....you may find the same thing happen to you. Now alcohol........yeah that's a little harder for me to resist on vacation. But my suggestions is to listen to your body. Definitely enjoy your vacation, but you may find that going back to old unhealthy habits doesn't agree with you anymore anyway! :bigsmile:
  • sbwood888
    sbwood888 Posts: 953 Member
    Options
    LIVE IT UP! No question.