Is it ok to eat those 2 oreos you've been craving if you jump on the elliptical and burn the 140 cal

Options
1235»

Replies

• cbelc2
    cbelc2 Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Sure. Have them. But first exercise for an hour then read the ingredients and log the calories. Look up an ingredient you don't recognize. Then set the table and turn off electronics. Have the cookies on a plate with a knife and fork. Enjoy!
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    You can do what you are describing, but rather than approaching it as if you have to burn off the food or earn it, you could just use MFP as designed. When you exercise you should be eating back at least a portion of those calories. It's not "burning off the bad food" or "earning your treats", that sounds like you are training a dog. It's just part of your overall plan. Set a reasonable goal for your total amount of weight you're trying to lose. Eat a variety of foods within that calorie goal, focusing on satiating nutrient dense foods but there's nothing wrong with Oreos or any food in moderation. Exercise if you enjoy it, eating back at least a portion of those calories.

What are your stats (height, weight, goal weight and rate of loss)? 1200 cals is the lowest recommended calorie amount for women and many people can lose weight eating far more than that. I lost 30 lbs and never ate less than 1600 cals. Plenty of Oreos, pizza, and wine too. I didn't earn them or punish myself for eating them. I just worked them into my plan.

Good luck!

I agree with this.

Also, there is no reason you have to keep the equation in the context of just 1 day. If you want Oreo's and its 11 PM at night, you don't HAVE to go jump on the elliptical after. You can always just recognize that you were a little higher today and the next day or whatever do a little extra cardio to make sure your calories are evening out. Personally I track my weekly deficit and somedays I'm over and somedays I'm under I just make sure my net deficit balances out at the end of the week.

Your calorie intake seems rather low and your loss rate is greater than most would recommend. You might want to think about increasing your base intake.

ETA: I would think about changing your perspective a little bit. You're not "absolving those sins you've committied with Oreos" you are "balancing your activity with a diet you enjoy while still acheiving your weight loss goals". Its a subtle difference but makes a big mental difference in how you view this whole process.
  • endlessfall16
    endlessfall16 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    JanetMMcC wrote: »
    @endlessfall16 - no reason to miss any events. But going to celebrations &c doesn't mean you have to eat and drink everything. If you don't like lowest-calorie cocktails and the higher-calorie ones won't fit in your calorie budget, drink water or fizzy water and eat more food. :) Alcohol isn't necessary for a good time.

I agree about not missing any events. I'm not missing anything at all. I'm not into alcohol so much. I just drink my share but I love (my favorite) foods and enjoy them all the way. I create deficits not through moderating with the foods I like. That would be contradicting and annoying. :) It's through exercising which I enjoy most of the time, and cutbacks in "regular, uneventful" meals. I do not pay attention to calories or portions in these special events/ favorite food meals.
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,338 Member
    Options
    Wow. You're going to be this weird about food for the rest of your life? Why not simplify it, eat things you enjoy when you want them, and know that you can live like that forever? I don't see this ending well.

Not overly helpful.
  • positivepowers
    positivepowers Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    katanak9 wrote: »
    Having the odd treat here and there will help you longer term, because you're more likely to stick to your healthier choices longer term if you aren't feeling deprived or 'punished'.

We need to be careful not to think of 'bad' food and 'good' food; WE are not 'bad' for making certain choices and we're not 'good' for making certain choices either. It's just food. Some foods have more nutrients than others. Some foods have more calories than others. It's too easy to get bogged down into a negative, punitive way of thinking about food (and I definitely include myself in this), which is just destructive. Have your Oreo cookies, because you enjoy them. Also, go for a walk - not because you had the cookies, but because you are committed to a healthier lifestyle, and that includes regular exercise. Take care of yourself (body AND soul/spirit!)

Love your attitude!
  • kmbrooks15
    kmbrooks15 Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    I can't do the two Oreos because it would lead to 4 Oreos, then 6, then 8, and so on...sweets are a trigger for overeating for me. I stick to sugar-free ice cream. But to each his own. If you can eat two Oreos, go for it. Just allow for it in your calories.
  • positivepowers
    positivepowers Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    ZLARZ wrote: »
    Just curious how many others do this??? I've already reached my calorie limit for the day but I've been drooling for some oreos all week... can eat em then burn em off?

slcfitcollective.com/slc-fit-blog/how-does-blood-sugar-affect-weight-loss

@ZLARZ Note how one stops the ability to burn fat and instead can only store fat when eating in a way that increases blood glucose over 100.

My blood glucose is ALWAYS >100 d/t T2d . I'm losing fat aeb my fat % dropping when measured by my doc.
  • Beaner63
    Beaner63 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    cbelc2 wrote: »
    Sure. Have them. But first exercise for an hour then read the ingredients and log the calories. Look up an ingredient you don't recognize. Then set the table and turn off electronics. Have the cookies on a plate with a knife and fork. Enjoy!

What??

Now that sounds like punishment.

Seriously just eat the Oreos if you are craving them that bad. Either add in some exercise today, or pre-log the calories for the next day so you can account for them.

Your body isn't a computer that has an end time of when it counts your calorie intake. Just because you have 1200 calories for the day, your body doesn't have a reset at 12:01 am that rolls back to zero for the next day. Your body is constantly burning calories, and as long as it is in a deficit (over time) you will lose weight.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options

Ummmmmm...
  • kelisueray
    kelisueray Posts: 78 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    wat

edit: holding out hope of sarcasm
  • cbelc2
    cbelc2 Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Sorry. That might have been too tongue-in-cheek. In all seriousness, label reading has made me back up from cookies in the past. The set table is my way of avoiding late night snacking. I tell myself that I can have it IF I'm willing to reset the table and eat it with knife and fork without electronics. Popcorn has lost its appeal. So again, sorry for the sarcasm. I'll try to edit myself better in the future.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Sorry. That might have been too tongue-in-cheek. In all seriousness, label reading has made me back up from cookies in the past. The set table is my way of avoiding late night snacking. I tell myself that I can have it IF I'm willing to reset the table and eat it with knife and fork without electronics. Popcorn has lost its appeal. So again, sorry for the sarcasm. I'll try to edit myself better in the future.

Thanks for explaining. I had NO idea what you were talking about lol