Gaining it back; NYT article

Options

Replies

• yogeshvaraom
    yogeshvaraom Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Wow, when I read this article it also made me feel disempowered. I know I need to stop feeling like a victim of my body and take control back but it is hard. Last year over 7 months I lost 36 pounds and now in 6 months have gained back 6. I have been freelancing maintenance, trying to not go back to counting and measuring. Now I am afraid if I go back it won't work or that I will have to eat so much less for it to work I won't be able to keep it up.
    On the bright side, I find support and inspiration out here and really appreciate the level head who said if my metabolism is permanently slower now, so be it. I just need to understand it and work with it. I have added an hour of exercise to my week which in theory will balance my lower metabolism. Thanks for being out here and sharing so freely!
  • scrittrice
    scrittrice Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    trina1049 wrote: »
    scrittrice wrote: »
    P.S. Started reading the comment (articles on weight loss always get a lot of comments) and wondering how long it would take to find an MFP recommendation. Second comment I read is from someone who lost weight slowly and steadily on this site.

I also lost all my weight (51-52 lbs) slowly and steadily right here on MFP. Counting calories is what works over the long haul. It took me over a year to reach maintenance and at a healthy weight range for a year + now. MFP works.

Same here. I was glad to see it mentioned in the comments, if not the article.
  • eeejer
    eeejer Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    scrittrice wrote: »
    Wanted to add now that I've read the article that I've seen bits and pieces of the show but never watched a whole episode, and it sounds horrible! I can hardly believe it's legal, though I'm sure contestants sign some kind of iron-clad contract. This is what someone did post-show to weigh-in in order to win:

"Mr. Cahill set a goal of a 3,500-caloric deficit per day. The idea was to lose a pound a day. He quit his job as a land surveyor to do it.

"His routine went like this: Wake up at 5 a.m. and run on a treadmill for 45 minutes. Have breakfast — typically one egg and two egg whites, half a grapefruit and a piece of sprouted grain toast. Run on the treadmill for another 45 minutes. Rest for 40 minutes; bike ride nine miles to a gym. Work out for two and a half hours. Shower, ride home, eat lunch — typically a grilled skinless chicken breast, a cup of broccoli and 10 spears of asparagus. Rest for an hour. Drive to the gym for another round of exercise."

That made me unbelievably sad.

The sad thing is people watch this and think "that is what I have to do to lose weight? Forget it!" but they think in the back of their minds "but at least I know I could lose this weight, I just don't want to go through that". So they stay fat.
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Weight gain and hunger after successfully losing weight is a complex issue involving "set point" and hormones like ghrelin, leptin, and insulin, among others. Lifestyle, exercise, macronutrient ratio, sleep efficiency, family history, medical conditions, medications, and stress also play a role. This list is not exhaustive.

I would really like to find my "sweet spot" (no pun intended) so I can achieve a reasonable weight for my height and maintain it. The cycle of losing and regaining weight has disheartened me and affected my self esteem. I find it one of the most difficult challenges in my life. I disagree with those that say weight loss/maintenance is simple or easy. It is not a simple matter of calories in/calories out; read current research studies if you are a doubter.

The Biggest Loser study is groundbreaking and important to all of us who struggle with maintaining a healthy weight. I hope everybody reads it. Here is the link to the study if you missed it on earlier posts:

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/oby.21538/epdf

I would also like to add that this study did NOT find a link between rapid weight loss and subsequent weight gain:

"Rapid weight loss, such as that experienced by “The Biggest Loser” participants, is sometimes claimed to increase the risk of weight regain, but recent studies have failed to support this idea since weight loss rate per se was not observed to affect long-term weight regain."
    (quote from the Biggest Loser study)
  • Marycycles
    Marycycles Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I lost 105lbs in 8 months kept it off for 2 years and only had problems when I changed jobs and then my mother died. I still exercise every day and eat healthy but was giving into binge eating and started gaining which, of course, made me depressed and eat more! Sometimes it doesn't matter what formula you use to lose weight, but needing support in dealing with the demens in your head! I've been using MFP for 4 yrs now, but this is the first time I've engaged in the community forum and it is paying off with my first 3lb weight loss in almost 2 yrs.
  • eeejer
    eeejer Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Weight gain and hunger after successfully losing weight is a complex issue involving "set point" and hormones like ghrelin, leptin, and insulin, among others. Lifestyle, exercise, macronutrient ratio, sleep efficiency, family history, medical conditions, medications, and stress also play a role. This list is not exhaustive.

I would really like to find my "sweet spot" (no pun intended) so I can achieve a reasonable weight for my height and maintain it. The cycle of losing and regaining weight has disheartened me and affected my self esteem. I find it one of the most difficult challenges in my life. I disagree with those that say weight loss/maintenance is simple or easy. It is not a simple matter of calories in/calories out; read current research studies if you are a doubter.

The Biggest Loser study is groundbreaking and important to all of us who struggle with maintaining a healthy weight. I hope everybody reads it. Here is the link to the study if you missed it on earlier posts:

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/oby.21538/epdf

If you lose weight sustainably while maintaining muscle your metabolism will only suffer small temporary effects. The sustainable way to diet is to incorporate refeeds, diet breaks, and sustainable goals. If you do this you will not suffer large permanent metabolic damage. Yes, there are ways your body fights back against fat loss, but they are all manageable with CICO and various exercise strategies. If you crash diet and lose tens of pounds of muscle then yes, you are screwing yourself and you are going to have to adopt a much more stringent diet to keep that weight off. For the average person doing a 1-2lb per week diet metabolic adaptation/slowdown is going to be minimal and hormonal levels should return to normal after about 2 weeks assuming you have taken diet breaks properly as you lose fat.
  • griffinca2
    griffinca2 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    A while back someone made a comment on "My Home" thread about eating real food: I think that's why most diets fail (Weight Watchers, Jenny Craig, Nutrisystem, etc.), and you can add “Biggest Loser to the list; you follow their eating/exercise plan, eat their "food," or count points, finish the diet/exercise plan and go back to your old eating habits (and not keeping up w/exercise) and put the weight back on (and then some!). Not only do these programs not teach you good eating/exercise habits ("I can eat all the cake I want as long as I don’t exceed my points for the day"), the foods some of the programs provide are pretty much loaded with sugar (1st ingredient in Slim Fast), excess salt and who knows what chemicals (that are more than likely not good for you). I tried to lose extra 7/8 lbs. by trying different diets (that I found in fitness mags ("clean eating") but had a hard time sticking to their allowable food list and regimen (eating five to six times a day, etc.). What worked was cutting back on sugar and cutting back on overly processed food; I use plain frozen veggies (most of the time) instead of canned, and add my own seasonings, etc. I also use regular half & half in my coffee instead of powdered coffee creamer. But I am realistic, I probably won’t completely eliminate all overly processed food, just try not to eat as much as I used to (I don’t want to give up pizza, etc.). Thing is eat foods you enjoy and like (why try to eat asparagus when you can’t stand it), include indulgences (cake, cookies, ice cream, chocolate, etc.); it needs to be a lifestyle you can maintain for the rest of your life; not a project or "diet" with an end date. Thing about those programs is the people lose the weight, go back to old eating habits, gain the weight back and go back on the program; it’s all about the $$$, not really helping folks lose the weight for good. B)
  • Stressedby8
    Stressedby8 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    "This is why plans like Nutrisystem and even Weight Watchers failed for me in the past... I could lose the weight by eating their prepackaged foods,

and:

A while back someone made a comment on "My Home" thread about eating real food: I think that's why most diets fail (Weight Watchers, Jenny Craig, Nutrisystem, etc.)"

I am a Weight Watcher Life Time Member and disagree with the above comments.
    Firstly, Weight Watchers does not encourage prepackaged foods. They totally encourage real food. It is a wonderful program that is very similar to MFP. I follow both programs. I log my food on MFP because I like the online Diary better. They both follow the same principals. CICO. As a matter of fact, our group leader's topic was exactly that last Friday.

That is why I follow both. I like the online support and diary with MFP, but love the meetings with WW. They work hand in hand.

Both are a life style change, eating real food.

Just my two cents..,
  • laur357
    laur357 Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    So my very basic question in response to the article is for those here who are successfully maintaining a largish weight loss after a reasonable calorie deficit to lose weight. .5-2 pounds per week. Total loss of, say 40 or more pounds.

Are your maintenance calories what you expect them to be? Can you eat the maintenance calories a standard TDEE calculator gives you for your age/weight/height/sex and maintain your weight?
    Or, do you find that you need to eat substantially fewer calories than expected to maintain your weight loss?
  • tmwonline
    tmwonline Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    laur357 wrote: »
    So my very basic question in response to the article is for those here who are successfully maintaining a largish weight loss after a reasonable calorie deficit to lose weight. .5-2 pounds per week. Total loss of, say 40 or more pounds.

Are your maintenance calories what you expect them to be? Can you eat the maintenance calories a standard TDEE calculator gives you for your age/weight/height/sex and maintain your weight?
    Or, do you find that you need to eat substantially fewer calories than expected to maintain your weight loss?

I would like to know this too :smile:
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options

I lost around 50 pounds in a little over a year, and have maintained for 18 months.

I'm female, 45, 5'3, hover around 125 pounds, am quite sedentary, and eat on average 1750 - 1800 calories. A standard TDEE calculator estimates 1775 calories for a sedentary - lightly active female with my stats.

So, yes, it's as expected.
  • 2snakeswoman
    2snakeswoman Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    I take the article as a warning against crash dieting, which study after study after study has shown is a bad idea. This is nothing new.
  • laur357
    laur357 Posts: 896 Member
    Options

I lost around 50 pounds in a little over a year, and have maintained for 18 months.

I'm female, 45, 5'3, hover around 125 pounds, am quite sedentary, and eat on average 1750 - 1800 calories. A standard TDEE calculator estimates 1775 calories for a sedentary - lightly active female with my stats.

So, yes, it's as expected.

Good to know. Thanks for your response!
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options

I lost 40 lbs at an average of 1.25 lbs/week, then lost the next 10 at about 1/2 lb/week. I'm currently 67 lbs down from my highest weightafter losing further weight at 1/2 lb/week for running performance. I've maintained my current weight for 2 years. MFP thinks my net calories to maintain should be about 2000 (M, 35, 5'10" and 150 lbs). I'm actually netting 2300-2400 calories just to maintain my weight, with an average TDEE of 3000 calories/day with the amount of running I do.
  • trina1049
    trina1049 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    @laur357, my maintenance calories are higher than I expected them to be with exercise. I've been maintaining eating 1,700 - 2,000 calories exercising 6 hours a week at the gym plus walking. I have a Fitbit and make sure to hit 25,000 steps per day, every day. I'm short, 5'2.5" and old (66) so I think that's pretty good.

If sedentary then my maintenance drops to around 1,370ish calories per day. Normal activity without going to the gym would probably put me at around 1,500 - 1,600 calories per day.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

Are your maintenance calories what you expect them to be? Yes

Can you eat the maintenance calories a standard TDEE calculator gives you for your age/weight/height/sex and maintain your weight? For the most part, taking into account that these calculators are just reasonably good estimates...nobody has a TDEE of exactly XXXX calories.

do you find that you need to eat substantially fewer calories than expected to maintain your weight loss?

I eat around 2,800 - 3,000 calories to maintain my weight...which is basically the range I get from various TDEE calculators given my stats and activity level.

I lost 40 Lbs over the course of about 9 months. I lifted weights and some cardiovascular work regularly. I didn't kill myself with exercise and I didn't crash my diet. I lost about 1 Lb + per week eating roughly 2,300 calories per day.
  • 2011rocket3touring
    2011rocket3touring Posts: 1,346 Member
    Options
    Nausicca55 wrote: »
    I don't know, but reading this article just depressed me. Weight loss already seems like an uphill battle, and reading this makes it seem just hopeless. :(

It's not hopeless. Biggest Loser is a TV show meant to entertain and not change people's lives so it takes the shortest and most entertaining route.
    ...honestly I don't know if it's entertaining, I've never watched it.
  • tmwonline
    tmwonline Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I lost 48.5 lbs over 7 months at an average of 1.75 per week. I'm 54, 5'6". I work out 5-6x week about 30-45 min a day.

My TDEE comes in at 1805. I don't think I used MFP to figure that, I don't remember. I never count or eat my exercise calories, I consider them bonus. They don't have a high count anyway (kettlebells) That way I'm forced to focus on what I eat.

And it's working! Sometimes I eat a bit more (up to 2000+) and sometimes I can reel it in to 1500-1600. I've had great meals and my favorite desserts frequently. I've stayed in my 150-155 range without fail for 5 months. I have been anywhere from apprehensive to FREAKED OUT about maintenance but I'm now beginning to relax and be confident in my maintenance lifestyle.

The math I used during this whole process has been absolutely SPOT ON. *whew!*

This is encouraging!
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    Chiming in with those who found the TDEE calculators accurate. I have maintained for 2 years except for a period I over ate. Guess I felt a need to test those on-line calculators.

I lost 63 pounds in 53 weeks. Female, now 62 years old. Sedentary TDEE is about 1450 and only a couple hundred calories above my BMR per the calculators (averaged). Lightly active is about 1650 (averaged).