EATING MORE to LOSE WEIGHT!?! Anyone else had this experience!?!?

Options
NewMEEE2016
NewMEEE2016 Posts: 192 Member
EATING *MORE*- believe it or not- has worked for me!!! Has anyone else had this experience??? I am ASTOUNDED at how EASY it has been for me- at age 61 (almost 62) to 22 lbs so far- in the past 4 months!!! The weird part is, I eat MUCH MUCH MORE (in bulk as well as calories!) than I did when I was heavy! No joke- and this is NOT my imagination. When I was heavier, I used to go all day eating maybe a couple small yogurts and a reasonable dinner. Now I eat **constantly** every couple hours- usually until around 2 am! I have always eaten VERY healthy (no processed foods, no chemicals, almost all organic) but now I eat MUCH MORE- a minimum of 110 grams of protein per day- and I have stopped eating low fat dairy (it's highly processed!!) and have added FULL FAT dairy (yum!) I started on Jan 1, 2016- eating between 1000-1100 cals per day, then after about a month moved to 1200 cals per day and still lost at the same rate (about 2lbs per week). I'm currently eating 1400 cals a day (at 5' 4" and 165.2 lbs). I started going to a nutritionist a few weeks ago (my insurance pays for it, 100%) who tested my metabolism- and she thinks I should eat EVEN MORE- though seriously, that would be difficult. I could easily have kept eating 1200 cals- I was NEVER hungry and quite satisfied- but I started to worry that I would get saggy skin, so I have purposely slowed it down a bit- and am now losing about 1lb a week (I highly advise going to a nutritionist and getting your metabolism tested so you'll know *exactly* what your resting metabolic weight is.) Could it be that for decades, I was in "low level" starvation mode? Not enough to starve, but enough that my body thought it needed to hang on to every bit of fat in storage? It make sense to me that my body knows I'm going to feed it- CONSTANTLY- good quality actual FOOD and get some exercise (I swim at a very leisurely pace for about 40 min 3x per week- but I've always done that so that's not the variable that has changed). My focus now is going to be building muscle and losing slowly so that- hopefully- I end up w/a nice, toned shape. I want to lose about 20 lbs more, but even now I'm looking pretty good- and have gone from a size 14 pants to size 10 (and I can even get into size 8 sometimes!!) I'm bigger on top, but it's fun to be able to buy a regular "large" or "xl" top (before I was a 1x).

Replies

• NewMEEE2016
    Options
    You have to eat LESS than your maintenance requirement. MORE than that will make you gain weight, obviously.
  • NewMEEE2016
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Low fat dairy isn't really anymore highly processed than full fat dairy.
    https://chriskresser.com/still-think-low-fat-dairy-is-the-healthy-choice-think-again/
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    https://chriskresser.com/still-think-low-fat-dairy-is-the-healthy-choice-think-again/

All this is saying is that fat isn't the devil...which it is not. There are numerous studies which in general show that going low fat/no fat on the whole is counterproductive because dietary fat is essential to your health. I prefer to get my good fats from other sources to meet my fat requirements...it really doesn't matter where it's coming from...it matters that you get adequate dietary fat in your diet. I get most of my fat from avocados, nuts, nut butters, eggs, and good cooking oils.

This isn't saying anything about one being more processed than the other so I really don't see your point.
  • NewMEEE2016
    Options

All this is saying is that fat isn't the devil...which it is not. There are numerous studies which in general show that going low fat/no fat on the whole is counterproductive because dietary fat is essential to your health. I prefer to get my fat from other sources to meet my fat requirements...it really doesn't matter where it's coming from...it matters that you get adequate dietary fat in your diet.

This isn't saying anything about one being more processed than the other so I really don't see your point.
    http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2015/oct/09/low-fat-whole-milk-usda-dietary-guidelines
  • NewMEEE2016
    Options

Personally, I trust cows more than chemists. Here is how the food industry creates skim milk: "Skim is more than just milk without fat. Skim is milk that’s fortified with synthetic vitamins to replace those lost in fat-removal, and milk solids to replace protein and calcium lost in processing. Skipping over the natural v. synthetic vitamin debate, consider how milk solids are made and what they contain.

Whole milk is separated in a centrifuge that outputs two streams, one cream and one fat-free milk. The fat-free milk is pasteurized then condensed in a vacuum evaporator to remove water and increase the concentration of solids. It’s then sent to a spray dryer, think industrial, high-pressure milk atomizer. The sprayer shoots a fine spray of milk into a warm, air-filled chamber that removes more moisture, turning the milk into powdery spherical particles, aka milk solids. They pop up in various low-fat and fat-free dairy products."
  • cwolfman13
    edited April 2016
    Options

All this is saying is that fat isn't the devil...which it is not. There are numerous studies which in general show that going low fat/no fat on the whole is counterproductive because dietary fat is essential to your health. I prefer to get my fat from other sources to meet my fat requirements...it really doesn't matter where it's coming from...it matters that you get adequate dietary fat in your diet.

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2015/oct/09/low-fat-whole-milk-usda-dietary-guidelines

From the article:
    Skim, low-fat and whole milks are all processed similarly in the US. The cream is separated from the whey and then added back in – or not in the case of skim milk.

So once again...the contention that it is more highly processed is wrong outside of adding flavorings like chocolate and strawberry...and that's kind of a no *kitten* sherlock kind of thing. My 2% doesn't have added sugar....it has more lactose because of the skimming of the fat.

And again, there are tons of studies which indicate that it's fat intake as a whole that is important. Someone who is emphasizing skim milk is also likely not getting fat from other sources either...which is unhealthy
  • cwolfman13
    Options
    Also from the article you linked....
    Consumers may decide what type of milk is best for them personally based on their preferred balance of calories to fat to protein to carbohydrates specific to their health history and their genetics. Either way, no one should be drinking enough milk for the type of that milk to make much of a difference on his or her health overall.
  • NewMEEE2016
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Rocknut53 wrote: »
    "Could it be that for decades, I was in "low level" starvation mode? Not enough to starve, but enough that my body thought it needed to hang on to every bit of fat in storage?" No and no. If you are not eating enough you will lose weight. Your body will not hang of to every bit of fat. I am 62 as well and eating around 1200 calories per day (weighed and measured as per everyone's recommendations on MFP). I bump it up some to account for exercise, not much however. I have shed 30 pounds in 4 months because of eating at a steady calorie deficit. Simple.

I weigh and measure very carefully too. We have lost a similar amount of weight in a similar time frame (I've actually lost 28 lbs since Jan 1st- mistyped original msg.) Anyway- I am stating a fact- what has worked for me in my own experience.
  • fitdoc1983
    fitdoc1983 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    OP- Congratulations on your weight loss! I have experienced a similar phenomenon in the past.. I was doing insanity for the first time and eating between 12-1500 kcal per day. When I got to month 2, when the workouts became more demanding, I stopped losing weight eating at that same ratio. I decided to say screw it for a weekend and ate at 2100 kcal for 2 days. Dropped 3 lbs after that 48 hours and jump started my loss again. Keep up the great work!
  • NewMEEE2016
    Options
    gandssmith wrote: »
    there's actually a group on here called "eat more 2 weigh less". i joined it and watched the videos. once you watch and understand, it makes total sense. it talks about what your body needs just to exist and how we've ruined our metabolisms by yo yo dieting and such. it also talks about resetting your metabolism which is kind of a lengthy process....one that i'm too scared to take at this point bc it initially requires you to gain. i would love to be brave enough to do it bc in all honesty...i would LOVE to eat more!!! Lol. kudos to you for finding out what works best for you!!! keep up the great work!! and eat on!!!

Thank you so much, @gandssmith! I know it SOUNDS nuts to those used to depriving themselves- but if you don't believe me, ask a professional nutritionist.

I am rather an obsessive type once I get into something. I don't "forget" to log food or have "cheat" days. [Those days only "cheat" yourself. And why would I want to "cheat", anyway? I am spending ALL day eating, eating, eating. I have to FORCE myself to eat more to get even my 1400 cals in- which is 200 more than MFP says I should eat- and now my nutritionist says I should be eating 1700 calories a day!! The only thing "hard" about this eating program is that it takes so much TIME to prepare & eat all this food!!! (sigh- tough problem to have, right?) ]

Don't get me wrong: You MUST create a calorie deficit to lose weight. However, for many of us, our resting metabolic rates may be much higher that we think. If you want to know for sure- get tested.

Thanks again, @gandssmith I will watch those videos. It makes perfect sense to me that when my body understands it will be getting a *constant* supply of high quality food, it has no reason to hold on to its fat stores.

(I eat **nothing** processed by humans except organic oats and organic FULL FAT DAIRY- otherwise I eat only organic fruits, vegetables & the highest quality fish/poulty I can get: pastured eggs, pastured chicken, wild caught fish). I don't feel at all "deprived". The food I eat is incredibly delicious and I have no desire to eat anything else.

If you think about the obesity epidemic in the USA, it coincides with the onset of the processed garbage that is sold as "food" but is nothing but chemicals deliberately manufactured and carefully tweeked by chemists in laboratories to get consumers addicted. Most of it has zero REAL nutritional value- and our poor bodies don't know what to do w/it.

Best to all

• akerra27
    akerra27 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I have found eatting alot more smaller meals throughout the day helps keep my metabolism up. When i start to see a decline in metabolism (feeling hungrier, workouts not as good) I do a "refeed"
  • rnewyn
    rnewyn Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    My mom is an eating disorder therapist - and yes this makes total sense to me. She talks about this kind of thing with her clients all the time.

Also, I have a manager at work who is extremely hard working and dedicated. She says she comes in without breakfast, she drinks coffee (with sugar, but still) maybe twice during the day and goes home very late. She may binge at home, it's very possible- but from what I've seen of her, and what I know from my mom's work, I've wondered for a long time what would happen to her obese physique if she ate a breakfast bar in the morning and actually stopped working long enough to sit down and eat lunch at some point during the day.

It's not so much EAT MORE TO LOOSE WEIGHT, it's more like EATING TOO LITTLE CAN CONTRIBUTE TO WEIGHT GAIN so like...stop, so your body can bring itself back down to set.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!