Replies

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Vit D
    multi vitamin
    Evening primrose oil
    Probiotics

And sometimes magnesium to help keep me regular.
  • marm1962
    marm1962 Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    What I take and the calorie count (vitamints are supposed to be 2, but I only take 1)
    Centrum - Vitamints, 1 mints 5 (multivitamin)
    Enzymatic Therapy - Pearls Ic Probiotics, 1 pearl capsule 0 ( I have been on a lot of antibiotics lately)
    Lifetime - Biotin, 1 Vegetarian Capsule 0 (for my nails)
    Natures Bounty - Flaxseed Oil 1200mg, 1 softgel 15 (Omega 3 oil)
    Viactiv - Calcium Plus D Soft Chews, Caramel, 1 Chew 15 (for my bones)
    Magnesium , 1 tablet every other day- to help with the psoriasis
    Zinc, 1 tablet -- for autoimmune issues

Doc says my vitamin D is a bit low, and my nails are weak from my psoriasis. I take flaxseed instead of fish oil and brought my triglycerides down to 60 from 149. I was also recently treated for lyme disease and cellulitis which is why I take the Probiotics.
  • marm1962
    marm1962 Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    Vitamin D overdose is extremely rare, but there is such a thing as too much. Too much vitamin D can lead to a vitamin overdose and can cause permanent damage to your kidneys and heart.

Vitamin B6 overdose can lead to nerve toxicity.
    Vitamin B3 can lead to nausea, jaundice, and liver toxicity.
    Too much folic acid, too, can mask the symptoms of a B12 deficiency

Vitamin A supplementation may enable you to delay getting reading glasses since it supports the function of the human eye, but a severe vitamin A overdose can actually cause death.

Probably one the most widely known and one of the most dangerous vitamin overdoses, particularly for children, is an iron overdose.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    ... And the only calories I've noticed in vitamins are the oil based ones, fish oil and evening primrose.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    Options
    There is no danger of taking vitamin A from foods. No matter how much.
    The danger is from taking supplements in high amounts.
    Others that are also dangerous in very large amounts can be vit E, vit D, vit K vitamins (not foods).
  • minniestar55
    minniestar55 Posts: 346 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I eat quite healthy (lean meats& poultry, plenty of veg, fruit, berries, oats, good balance of macros), but supplement with multivitamin with omega oils, vit D+calcium (D & calcium deficient), chondroitin + glucosamine, creatine monohydrate.
  • dschacke
    dschacke Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I take vitamin c, b12, b-complex, flaxseed, magnesium and a couple others
  • alexandriamccann26
    alexandriamccann26 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I take a multivitamin, vit c, b12 (for energy), calcium, vit d 1000u, fish oil, biotin and vit e (for my skin)
  • alexandriamccann26
    alexandriamccann26 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Thinking I need to add magnesium though because I get really bad foot and leg cramps when exercising
  • CorneliusPhoton
    CorneliusPhoton Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    Thinking I need to add magnesium though because I get really bad foot and leg cramps when exercising

I think magnesium will help with that. Magnesium citrate is supposed to be more easily absorbed than magnesium oxide. Watch out for the laxative effect if you take too much. :)
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    Vitamins and minerals have no calories, but too much can be just as bad as too few with certain ones. If your logging, MFP will show you your intake for some. Are they at least 75% most days? Then you're probably good.

Which vitamins can you have too much of? I always go over on vitamin A and C, is this dangerous?

It is very hard to get too many vitamins from food.

100g of sweet potato has 283% of vitamin A so that alone takes me over on vitamin A

That's just based on the recommended "at least" level. It's not like your body's capacity to handle the vitamin A caps out at 100%, I wouldn't worry.