Diet soda

Options

Replies

• perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    Options
    jen_bush wrote: »
    Everything is okay in moderation, in my opinion.

I agree.

I drink diet Pepsi every day. I don't drink more than 16 ounces in a one day period, if that much. I try to make sure I get more water than anything else.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    aub6689 wrote: »
    oh boy the token 'it's linked to cancer response'

Artificial sweeteners have only been linked to cancer in rat models and thus far the biological mechanisms or dosages they use are not plausible to extrapolate to humans.

Things like cancer are multifactorial so if there was any increased risk associated with diet soda (whatever mechanism you propose), it would be a very small risk increase and only occur at the highest ingestion levels when compared to the lowest. Cancer requires many factors acting in tandem to initiate the mutation and allow for cell proliferation. If there was a large risk increase, the studies would pick it up, as of now, we have results going back and forth (negative association, no association, positive association) which means either no association or a very small one. Aspartame has not been claimed to be carcinogenic and if doctors (by this you should mean researchers) found it was, they could publish on it, because the soda industry would just use another sweetener and market how they've removed aspartame (like the food industry did when they removed trans fats).

It's fine to stay informed and keep reading the new studies on artificial sweeteners or diet soda, but the media hype that the one study that finds an association receives doesn't counter all the studies that find the opposite.

You. I like you. You should stick around.

Aspartame is one of the most studied compounds in modern history. That there has not been a definitive study in humans directly linking it to cancer or any other diseases is very telling. Yet many participating in this thread and the countless others on this topic will just not accept that. Because aspartame is a chemical, it must be bad... right?
  • WinoGelato
    Options
    MindPump1 wrote: »
    And here come all the experts in the health industry. Please inform me how soda is healthy for me! You guys are my inspiration!!!

Did someone say soda was healthy? Why don't you tell us how diet soda is harmful?

• WinoGelato
    Options
    Regarding doctors' advice on controversial matters, I know someone who has had cancer and the nutritional advice given was basically that he didn't need to have any regard whatsoever for his diet.
    I'm just saying, just because a doctor thinks drinking diet soda is fine in moderation doesn't say much…

Well, this is at best third hand information, but I'd love to hear what the doctor actually said to your friend regarding diet. My guess is that it was something more along the lines of, "there are no special dietary considerations that will help or hinder your medical diagnosis". Depending on the cancer diagnosis, and the treatment protocol, it is possible that the doctor is more concerned with his/her patient getting enough food, of any kind, to stay down while going through chemo or radiation treatments. The doctor may also be telling the patient to just eat any food that sounds good to them, considering what else their body is going through and their mental state.

But yeah, that seems relevant to how other doctors telling patients that there is nothing wrong with diet soda in moderation (which is true) are ignorant or negligent.

• beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    kwtilbury wrote: »
    My personal experience drinking two cans of diet Pepsi per day at lunch; I started have slurred speech on occasion in the afternoon for no known reason. I stopped drinking diet Pepsi and the slurred speech has not returned after over five years.

It could have been the Jim Beam you were adding to it.

Even though you didn't add a smiley face, I will assume you are joking.

For clarification, the diet soda was straight, nothing added.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I have no idea how people can think 40 years of research could have been bought by Coca Cola (who couldn't give two *kitten* if you buy diet or regular as long as you buy any of their stuff) when the whole tobacco industry couldn't stop overwhelming evidence that smoking is bad for you, leading to warning labels and in many places higher taxes on tobacco products.

People think we never landed on the moon and that Israel was behind 9/11.

People are dumb and love conspiracy theories.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    alexzenk86 wrote: »
    alexzenk86 wrote: »
    And here come all the experts in the health industry. Please inform me how soda is healthy for me! You guys are my inspiration!!!

I don't even drink soda anymore and I recognize that your post was flat out wrong. But, yeah really no point :p

Flat out wrong? Talking to a nurse, who just went to medical school, informs me that the Aspartame is what causes cancer? Yep I'm wrong. Go ahead and believe what you want. I don't drink soda any more. I used to. I loved it, I would drink it every day. But I realized that that along with the food I was consuming was killing me. So I changed my life. I drink water, tea and coffee and stick to a lot healthier foods. But again, the opinions of the people here mean nothing to me.

My MD doctor, who told me it doesn't and it's fine to drink in moderation, trumps your nurse. So there :D But seriously, my doctor and I have actually discussed diet soda (caffeine consumption is on the questionnaire you have to fill out every time, and then my doctor goes over all of it with me). And she really did tell me that it was fine in moderation. She has all my health markers/paperwork and I'm in excellent health. Now dentist is another story, and she's going to be pretty geeked when I tell her next time that I've cut out the soda. But again, that's where moderation (and a straw) comes into play, and I didn't follow that. I've also cut out things like oranges, which also have a high citric acid content.

And as a sidenote-my sister, who's a nurse, drinks diet soda. Go figure.

I don't drink much diet soda (although its the only soda I drink). I do drink lots of coffee. My doctor thinks I should substitute some diet soda (or ideally, those flavored waters which I enjoy, which are also bubbly and have artificial sweetener) for the coffee (as do I, but I love the coffee so much). The reason is I have sleep issues that might be helped by cutting caffeine and diet soda has less than coffee. I also drink tons of water. (I don't know why I have a mental block about decaf coffee.)

Apparently my doctor thinks diet soda is fine in moderation also.

Coffee is bad for the teeth too.

I switched out the soda with black tea to keep my caffeine levels the same (not a coffee drinker), and there's actually supposed to be benefits from tea drinking, for teeth. Research is promising for both black and green tea, and green tea has lower amounts of caffeine. Might be a coffee alternative for you?
    https://www.deltadentalins.com/oral_health/tea.html
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/1344892.stm

Hmm. I hate green tea, and thought black was about the same as coffee, but that's interesting. I do love Earl Grey. I have used herbal tea which I like, though not as much, from time to time. Maybe I'll try subbing some black tea for a while.

I adore Bigelow plantation mint black tea and it's my go to one. I can find it frequently on sale at my local grocery store for $2 a box. I add a small splash of 0 calorie liquid sweetener (my husband drinks it without it though), and drink 3 cups a day of it :)
    https://www.bigelowtea.com/Shop-Teas/By-Type/Black/Plantation-Mint-Tea#.VyoSizFR23k

I don't know why transitioning to tea is so hard for me. I'm going to see how it works to drink only tea (and water) after noon today. I actually prefer tea unsweetened so this should be easy. (I am going to MS a lot due to work and it's funny, they always make a big deal about how we probably want our iced tea unsweetened since northerners, and I can'r disagree, since I hate sweet tea.)
  • aub6689
    aub6689 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Thanks @WinoGelato! I like you too! I'm just glad someone actually read it lol
  • cross2bear
    cross2bear Posts: 1,106 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Flat out wrong? Talking to a nurse, who just went to medical school, informs me that the Aspartame is what causes cancer? Yep I'm wrong. Go ahead and believe what you want. I don't drink soda any more. I used to. I loved it, I would drink it every day. But I realized that that along with the food I was consuming was killing me. So I changed my life. I drink water, tea and coffee and stick to a lot healthier foods. But again, the opinions of the people here mean nothing to me.

I bet I could find you some nurses and doctors who smoke too.
  • johnwelk
    johnwelk Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Flat out wrong?
    Yep, flat out wrong.
    Talking to a nurse, who just went to medical school, informs me that the Aspartame is what causes cancer?
    Your nurse friend went to nursing school, not medical school. And your nurse friend is wrong. No evidence exits to show that any artificial sweetener causes cancer in humans. None. Zero.
    Yep I'm wrong.
    Yep, you're wrong.
  • MindPump1
    MindPump1 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    johnwelk wrote: »
    Flat out wrong?
    Yep, flat out wrong.
    Talking to a nurse, who just went to medical school, informs me that the Aspartame is what causes cancer?
    Your nurse friend went to nursing school, not medical school. And your nurse friend is wrong. No evidence exits to show that any artificial sweetener causes cancer in humans. None. Zero.
    Yep I'm wrong.
    Yep, you're wrong.

HAHA This makes me laugh. Sure I typed medical school, meant nursing school, but I sure am glad you went out of your way to point that out. All the tests that have been done on humans are all inconclusive because of other elements that existed such as sugar. They brushed everything off as chance with the correlation between aspartame and cancer. Do you actually think that the food industry would come out and say that one of their ingredients has been tied to cancer? I doubt it, call it what you want. But I could care less for soda, the affects it has on people, short term or long term. I also think this thread is entertaining because you say anything against soda, and people get so defensive..
  • WinoGelato
    Options
    Flat out wrong?
    Yep, flat out wrong.
    Yep I'm wrong.
    Yep, you're wrong.

HAHA This makes me laugh. Sure I typed medical school, meant nursing school, but I sure am glad you went out of your way to point that out. All the tests that have been done on humans are all inconclusive because of other elements that existed such as sugar. They brushed everything off as chance with the correlation between aspartame and cancer. Do you actually think that the food industry would come out and say that one of their ingredients has been tied to cancer? I doubt it, call it what you want. But I could care less for soda, the affects it has on people, short term or long term. I also think this thread is entertaining because you say anything against soda, and people get so defensive..

It wouldn't matter what the food industry was prepared to admit. Even Big Tobacco admitted that nicotine causes cancer, once there was sufficient scientific evidence to support it. The fact remains there hasn't been a single study in humans directly linking aspartame to cancer.
  • MindPump1
    MindPump1 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    Flat out wrong?
    Yep, flat out wrong.
    Yep I'm wrong.
    Yep, you're wrong.

It wouldn't matter what the food industry was prepared to admit. Even Big Tobacco admitted that nicotine causes cancer, once there was sufficient scientific evidence to support it. The fact remains there hasn't been a single study in humans directly linking aspartame to cancer.

Your right, because every time they study it there are to many variables to consider.

A recent study of more than 125,000 people found a link between consumption of aspartame sweetened soda and the risk of leukemia, lymphoma, and multiple myeloma in men, but not in women. Since it also found a link between sugar sweetened soda and lymphoma in men, the researchers concluded that the links they found could be explained by chance.

http://www.cancer.org/cancer/cancercauses/othercarcinogens/athome/aspartame
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    Flat out wrong?
    Yep, flat out wrong.
    Yep I'm wrong.
    Yep, you're wrong.

If only the big talc lobby had been stronger.

394Qm3p.gif
  • WalkingQueen1979
    WalkingQueen1979 Posts: 119 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I too love diet soda but now I drink crystal light and I notice I'm not as thirsty as when I used to drink diet soda. I drink diet soda maybe once a week if that and it's like 2 cups. I wouldn't worry too much all things in moderation and if the Dr said you're OK just go with what works. I personally like that I'm cutting down but once in a while is fine. BTW if aspartame is what you're worried about diet Pepsi is now aspartame free.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »
    Here is what you will expect to hear in this thread:

1. It causes cravings
    2. It cause headaches
    3. Aspartame spikes insulin
    4. It's worse than regular soda

And the answers are:

1. Most people don't experience this but only a small subset
    2. Same as above
    3. Not even remotely true
    4. Same as above

If you like the taste and helps keep you on track, like it has for me, then go for it. Still drink plenty of water and things like tea.

If you want to know the science behind aspertame, then read : http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1308408/why-aspartame-isnt-scary/p1 . Aaron has a PhD and molecular biology and has documented a lot of good information.

You forgot 5. CHEMICALS=POISONZ. Which then gets referred to Aaron's thread.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    My opinion on diet soda and aspartame is based completely on my feelings... But personally I choose to not consume it. Something about ingesting it just does NOT sit right with me.. Once again, totally going by me feelz on this one, so please don't attack :smile:

And reading about peoples undying love for diet soda which often comes across as if they're addicted to it.. Makes me even more determined to stay away from it :huh:
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,392 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Flat out wrong?
    Yep, flat out wrong.
    Yep I'm wrong.
    Yep, you're wrong.

We aren't defensive over diet soda, we are defensive against pseudoscience... its the same reaction with detoxes/cleanses, and much more.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    Options
    Monks don't drink diet coke.