Deleting this app

Options
This app is so frustrating I might have to delete it soon.. I went from 239 to 195 no problem. Hit my goals, and now I just want to maintain since I really don't have anything to lose without looking weird. Everytime I complete my diary though it says I'll weigh 300+ lbs in 5 weeks or some other BS. On top of that, I changed my goals to maintain instead of lose weight and the caloric goals didn't change at all... Soooo I'm going to log carefully, continue to crush workouts, and end up losing weight at the same clip as before? Makes me not want to even open this thing. If anyone knows how I can fix this please let me know, otherwise goodbye app. Get your stuff together MFP.

Replies

• distinctlybeautiful
    distinctlybeautiful Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    Email customer support. It might take a minute to get back to you, but they've always been helpful to me.
  • Jburlen2007
    Jburlen2007 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Don't give up on this app, it's great.

Try changing your setting to get the calorie goal you want. Or continue to log and eat your goal regardless of what MFP gives you.
  • tgrieger87
    tgrieger87 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys. I tried emailing, but haven't heard anything back yet. I have changed the settings and nothing updates, that's why it's so frustrating because I'm pretty sure the numbers it has given me are wrong now.
  • puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    Options
    For changing to maintenance, try doing it on the website rather than the app. It shouldn't make a difference, but maybe it will.

For what it says you will weigh in 5 weeks after you complete your diary - don't hit the button to complete your diary at the end of the day. I stopped doing that months ago. Those estimates are well known to be way off and it doesn't accomplish anything except put a notification on your newsfeed. You can even edit the day afterwards.
  • AtmaKing
    AtmaKing Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I don't think I've ever "completed" a day. I mean what if I wanted to get up and have a snack later that night and I've already completed the day?

Anyways if you know what your maintenance calories need to be. Eat those, forget what app says and move forward.
  • GradyFletcher
    GradyFletcher Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I didn't even know you could "complete" a day
  • tgrieger87
    Options
    For sure. I guess I would just like to have my maintenance calories figured out by the app. I suppose I could easily do it myself though and just not use the numbers they provide... Still a pain in the *kitten* if my maintenance goes up to 1800 and my app is showing 1500 max or something everyday.. Thanks for the replies though I won't delete!
  • marty_smith
    marty_smith Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    tgrieger87 wrote: »
    For sure. I guess I would just like to have my maintenance calories figured out by the app. I suppose I could easily do it myself though and just not use the numbers they provide... Still a pain in the *kitten* if my maintenance goes up to 1800 and my app is showing 1500 max or something everyday.. Thanks for the replies though I won't delete!

Go to your profile and under goals you can enter your own calorie goal. Work out your TDEE and enter that number as the goal you want to achieve
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    No, your profile is not filled out correctly. I just went there, and somehow you set it up so that you are 2015 years old.

eta: Get that squared away, and I'd bet one of two things: 1) your problem will be fixed; 2) you filled out something else incorrectly.
  • yayamom3
    yayamom3 Posts: 939 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    AtmaKing wrote: »
    I don't think I've ever "completed" a day. I mean what if I wanted to get up and have a snack later that night and I've already completed the day?

Anyways if you know what your maintenance calories need to be. Eat those, forget what app says and move forward.

If you complete your day, you can still make changes and additions to your diary.

ETA: Completing my diary is very helpful to me. It tells my brain, "You've eaten all of your calories. You're done for the day." It helps me to control the urge to be snacky in the evenings when I really don't need anything to eat.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,019 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »
    No, your profile is not filled out correctly. I just went there, and somehow you set it up so that you are 2015 years old.

eta: Get that squared away, and I'd bet one of two things: 1) your problem will be fixed; 2) you filled out something else incorrectly.

yeah, this.

Recheck your height, weight, age, goal (maintain) and then resubmit. Garbage in...

"Completing" your day's food diary does nothing other than generate that message and a post to your newsfeed, so just don't complete it if it annoys you. I don't complete a day's entry.
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    I complete my dairy but I ignore the whatever I'm supposed to weigh in such and such days. I mean, its unlikely honestly with things changing as they do.
  • tgrieger87
    Options
    Thank you all for the suggestions. I think the whole issue stemmed from updating on my phone rather than the website. In order to maintain though it went from 1560 calories/day to 3,350.... That sound like a mistake to anyone? I still plan on burning at least 2500 calories a week, but that seems awfully high!
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options
    I have noticed when updating my calorie goal manually on my phone, if my internet connection isn't very good when I hit save, it doesn't save. I usually wait a few seconds to see whether it changed it or not. Sometimes I have to try it again.
    And depending on your stats and activity, you may need to eat more than you think to maintain. If you really question it, check with another site. I like to use IIFYM when I want a second opinion. I have had a great experience with the app, I just know I have to make it work for my purposes, not whatever it may think.
    For being 195 lbs and not having more to lose, it sounds like you were in a pretty large deficit if you were previously eating 1560. (I am 5'0", currently 185 lbs and eating 1900, maintain around 2600.)
  • Rushbrook60
    Rushbrook60 Posts: 95 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    My PT at the gym told me to go on Google, type in BMR and use the calculator on the BMI site, which is the first website option it brings up (no, I didn't get them wrong, they are actually two different things). My PT is also a qualified nutritionist and he said use the BMR calculator to work out how many calories you need to consume to survive, then add 300 additional calories for "activity", but not to go over 2,500 for males or 2,000 for females...so if your calories come in at 2,400, don't increase to 2,700, just consume up to 2,500 per day.

If you go into nutrtion on this app, you can change the amount of calories you can allow yourself each day by clicking on "goal". Again my PT uses this app himself, so showed me what to do, seems to be working so far.

Hope this helps some way
  • MamaFunky
    MamaFunky Posts: 735 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Thank you all for the suggestions. I think the whole issue stemmed from updating on my phone rather than the website. In order to maintain though it went from 1560 calories/day to 3,350.... That sound like a mistake to anyone? I still plan on burning at least 2500 calories a week, but that seems awfully high!

I thought that 1560 sounded really low for maintenance for you. I am 5'8", 140lbs (42 yrs old) and maintain around at 2000 cals. Not sure if 3000 is correct but seems more accurate than 1500. Try scoobysworkshop.com. They also have some good calculators to help get a good idea of what maintenance would be for you.

• TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options

If you're active, not really. That sounds at least reasonable.
  • not_a_runner
    Options
    My PT at the gym told me to go on Google, type in BMR and use the calculator on the BMI site, which is the first website option it brings up (no, I didn't get them wrong, they are actually two different things). My PT is also a qualified nutritionist and he said use the BMR calculator to work out how many calories you need to consume to survive, then add 300 additional calories for "activity", but not to go over 2,500 for males or 2,000 for females...so if your calories come in at 2,400, don't increase to 2,700, just consume up to 2,500 per day.

If you go into nutrtion on this app, you can change the amount of calories you can allow yourself each day by clicking on "goal". Again my PT uses this app himself, so showed me what to do, seems to be working so far.

Hope this helps some way

Are you saying this is how to figure your maintenance calories? Because I am a female, and even eating your "max" calories suggestion, I would lose weight. And if the OP is a 195 lb lean male who is doing hard lifting sessions, he probably needs more than 2500 to maintain.
    Also, the site does not suggest to just "add 300 for activity." It says to use a multiplier. Using said multiplier brought me to 2600, which as I said above is close to my maintenance. And much more than you're saying I should eat...
  • tgrieger87
    Options
    I thought that 1560 sounded really low for maintenance for you. I am 5'8", 140lbs (42 yrs old) and maintain around at 2000 cals. Not sure if 3000 is correct but seems more accurate than 1500. Try scoobysworkshop.com. They also have some good calculators to help get a good idea of what maintenance would be for you. [/quote]

Yeah I was eating healthy, and around 1500 cals a day and at least burning 700-900 calories every 2 days or so. Lost like 45 lbs in just over 4 months. Just feels dangerous to start eating so much more even if I do continue to stay active. Obviously I know my body and would be able to tell if I'm gaining weight, but still scary after all the hard work!
  • not_a_runner
    Options
    I thought that 1560 sounded really low for maintenance for you. I am 5'8", 140lbs (42 yrs old) and maintain around at 2000 cals. Not sure if 3000 is correct but seems more accurate than 1500. Try scoobysworkshop.com. They also have some good calculators to help get a good idea of what maintenance would be for you.

Yeah I was eating healthy, and around 1500 cals a day and at least burning 700-900 calories every 2 days or so. Lost like 45 lbs in just over 4 months. Just feels dangerous to start eating so much more even if I do continue to stay active. Obviously I know my body and would be able to tell if I'm gaining weight, but still scary after all the hard work![/quote]

If you work it backwards, you were losing about 2.5 lbs a week, yes?
    2.5 lbs x 500 calories (500 calorie deficit per day needed to lose one pound a week) = 1250 deficit. So adding 1250 daily *should* put you close to maintenance. 1250 + the 1500 you've been eating = 2750
    Just a rough estimate, as none of that is exact, but you get the idea.
    If you are concerned, maybe start by adding in 100-200 calories every week or two. "Reverse diet" as they say.
    You will probably notice your strength increasing a lot as you get out of that deficit! And that will be FUN! lol