Lost 13lbs since January but no one notices!

Options
pvju
pvju Posts: 115 Member
Not one person has noticed that I've lost weight - I'm down from 140 to 127 and I'm 5'3 1/2" tall. I've gone down in clothes sizes - I'm working out so I've toned a little - maybe not a whole lot. But what gives? In the past when I've lost 5 lbs people comment. Now nothing - not my boyfriend, my best girl friends, no one! I specifically didn't tell anyone I was dieting just in case it didn't work out - again.

I'm not doing this for other people's approval but this is just weird. I sometimes re-weigh myself because I'm wondering if I'm crazy.

I'm guessing it's my age - people aren't checking out your figure once you're in your mid-50s I suppose, so fluctuations in weight just don't register maybe? I guess it's true that middle aged women are truly invisible.

I still feel great and I'm committed to losing another 7 lbs. Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this?

Replies

• Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Are you doing this for yourself or for someone else? Like jemhh said, "I wouldn't say anything to a yoyo dieter."
  • AlyM725
    AlyM725 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I lost 20 pounds and didn't even notice it myself. It takes time.
  • smiles4jo
    smiles4jo Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Yep, I've lost 30 lbs since January and exactly one person other than my mother has commented. People just don't comment...
  • WakkoW
    WakkoW Posts: 567 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Weight can be a sensitive subject and it can be considered rude to comment on someone else's body. And I agree with the comment above regarding yo yo dieting. Your friends/family might not want to bring it up because of your past history of regaining.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,952 Member
    Options
    I'm a little taller than you but have to lose at least 20 pounds before people start commenting. I get more comments from those who don't see me regularly. Some people don't comment at all though.
  • pvju
    pvju Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    The other thing - sorry TMI - is that my chest has not shrunk with the weight loss and I feel like it makes me look huge in the torso - I was hoping to lose some more in that area.
  • nlwilliams60
    nlwilliams60 Posts: 12 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Why do you care? You know you've lost weight and making changes.
  • varuamoon
    varuamoon Posts: 7 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options

One of my male friends who lacks most social cues actually asked me how much I weighed. !

I would have told him, "Less than I did." and leave it at that. No real need to be offended. Most people are curious when you get right down to it. When I first actively lost weight, a friendly co-worker was curious, I told her and she was shocked that I weighed within pounds of her. She assumed I was much lighter. Yet when I compared us in looks alone, I felt like a hippo when I stood next to her.
    In regards to people not noticing, have you changed up what you wear? For some it's a trigger for seeing someone's changes.

**edited, sorry cannot seem to get the quote thing right, sorry.**