What do skinny people eat??

Options
13»

Replies

• boomboom011
    boomboom011 Posts: 1,459
    Options
    and by skinny *kitten* i mean wonderful!
  • coolsmartygirl
    coolsmartygirl Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    My first thought after I saw that was "what ever they want" I use to have a Hugh metabolism when I was skinny!
  • pyro13g
    pyro13g Posts: 1,127 Member
    Options
    Meat, fish, veggies, occasional fruit, eggs, eggs, and more eggs.
  • FitCoachJen
    FitCoachJen Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot of high-volume, low calorie foods. Lean protein, fruits, veggies, water/tea/coffee.
    I eat a little of whatever I'm craving (or what's available). Chocolate, beer, pizza, burritos, etc. Don't get me wrong, if I order a burrito I'll eat the whole burrito, but I'm cognizant of the calories in it and adjust my later meals accordingly.

It's all about keeping the balance.
  • That_Girl
    That_Girl Posts: 1,324 Member
    Options
    my severly under weight skinny as a twig fiance will sit and eat a whole large pizza for lunch, then for dinner a big mac, large fries and a large coke, then have a pint of chocolate whole milk! life just isn't fair...

Ewww...lol. I wouldn't want to eat like that!

My husband eats crap for lunch at work but there's only good things here so he has no choice Bwahahaha! (he's a slight guy too).
  • BizzyBee62
    BizzyBee62 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    HI,
    Skinny people eat the same things overweight people do...only alot less:)
    Jodi
  • flutterqueen04
    Options
    When I was skinny I ate whatever I wanted and didn't care.....and then I got fat and wondered why.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I eat all day long. In fact, the people at my office don't think I am a food dumpster. I eat 2600 lean calories (eggs, fish, chicken, lean beef, turkey, protein bars/drinks). I have 12% body fat and continuously decreasing. I would like to mention, there is such a thing called skinny fat. People that aren't large in size but have really high body fat and low muscle mass. The fact is, athletes can eat a horse. My friend is 6% body fat and eats 5000 calories a day. I know several woman who eat 3000 calories to maintain their weight. It's rather easy to lose weight, but it's harder to change your body composition. Increasing muscle mass and decreasing body fat is where it takes a lot of fuel and a good exercise program. Anyone can do it, but it just depends on how important it is.
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    I have 2 cents to throw into this thread, bc I can sense the frustration of some of the posters.

I guess I might be considered slim, but probably not skinny. 5'4, 131 lbs., abt. 18% body fat. I work out 6 days a week and try to eat all my exercise calories, so I eat about 1500-2000 cals a day. I usually treat my day off exercise as a maintenance day, so allow myself about 500 extra calories (so 1810).

Today I worked out just a bit (60 min pretty easy paddling (SUP) on the lagoon, so I have about 1530 cals to eat (yay!).

Here's what I've had so far today:

BREAKFAST:

Peanut Butter Banana Coffee Smoothie (unsweetened almond milk, instant coffee, 1/2 banana, 2 T. PB2, ice)

SNACK: 1/4 c. trail mix

LUNCH: egg "product" scrambled with butter, onions and broccoli, marinara sauce and soy "ground beef", fresh strawberries and raspberries.

SNACK: Chocolate Chip Clif Bar, Starbucks Iced tall soy latte w/ 2 pumps SF caramel

DINNER (Cooking now): 4 oz. grilled chicken breast marinated in FF raspberry vinaigrette, 1 c. broccoli, butter, fresh strawberries, peach and mango slices.

DESSERT: 1/2 c. plain soy yogurt w/ 1 T. PB2 (my peanut butter pudding)!

I will still have 336 cals left after dinner, so tonight I will probably have a coconut milk frozen dessert bar and/or maybe some more of my PB pudding.

A lot of people trying to lose weight are confused and think they should not eat exercise calories. This causes their bodies to go catabolic, so basically they are starving themselves fat!! If you eat too few calories you WILL stall and/or even GAIN weight. Then they get frustrated, give in, binge and gain more. The vicious cycle continues, and they might give up, staying overweight.

Please read this excellent explanation of why YOU MUST EAT EXERCISE CALORIES to lose weight.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/196502-for-the-people-who-work-out-like-crazy-and-are-not-losing?hl=for+people+who+work+out+like+crazy

blessings.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    When I was in my 20's, had a fast metabolism & pounded the weights hard, I ate anything & everything and large quantities of it all. Hit my 30's, stopped lifting and quickly found out that wasn't gonna work anymore.
    Mid 30's started running, eating mostly whole foods, but still have the regular sweet treats or "bad" stuff, just in MUCH better controlled portions. Now I am probably even leaner than I was in my 20's and certainly a lot healthier.
  • Rayanne203
    Rayanne203 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Wow great advice everyone thank you so much for all your input!!!
  • toniRAD
    toniRAD Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Eat healthy foods ! Skinny people that eat junk might be skinny, but they're most likely gonna end up with a lot of health problems when they're older.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    When I was skinny when I was younger, I ate whatever I wanted, but really not very much. Just not much of an appetite.

When I was skinny in my early 30s, I physically couldn't eat because I had jaw problems. It seriously hurt to open my mouth wide enough for a McDonald's french fry when it was at it's worst.

Now, I'm not skinny, but fit, and I eat what I want again, but I'm more mindful of it and exercise my tushie off. I really haven't excluded anything from my life, I just limit it to some degree. I still have DiGiorno pizza... just once a week instead of twice a week or more. I have food that's similar to my old standby Hamburger Helper, but made from scratch instead of a high sodium, high calorie, just-add-water powder. It tastes better and I can eat more of it. Same goes for brown rice instead of Rice A Roni. And a Fiber Plus bar is just as tasty as a candy bar, but is good for me.
  • LisaMarieee
    LisaMarieee Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Eat healthy foods ! Skinny people that eat junk might be skinny, but they're most likely gonna end up with a lot of health problems when they're older.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I remember reading an article about weight loss and how a skinny person's mindset about food is different regardless of what they eat. The main point that stuck with me is that skinny people aren't afraid of being hungry. This really resonated with me--I thought about all of the times I ate when NOT hungry simply b/c I was worried I wouldn't have time later. Or the the fattie strategy of eating a big meal before a party b/c we are afraid we will be hungry and binge on all of the junk. Or (and this was the breakthrough moment) all the times my mom said "don't you want to eat something so you're not hungry later?"

After reading that article I made a decision to NEVER eat simply for fear of being hungry later--if I'm hungry, oh well--it's not like I'll starve to death if my stomach growls. When I go to parties, I just practice self-control and try to choose the healthiest options. Finally, when my mother asks that dreaded question (yes, I'm 41 and I still hear it occasionally even though I live an hour away) I simlply say "no, I'm fine."

This is really intersting, I feel as though I have some kind of "depression" mentality about food - I always want to have a snack with me in case I'm hungry. For example, on a 3 hour bus ride, it feels as though I really need to pack a snack in case I'm hungry. Or in case the bus is half an hour late and I don't get dinner till later. I don't know why I'm like this, I've never been deprived of food in my life. Food for thought I think (pun intended :smile:)

Back to the original topic - my sister who is the same build as me but smaller eats real food, but not too much of it. And dosn't drink alcohol. The things I know I should do, but have to work at!
  • brenott
    brenott Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Most of the people I know that eat what ever they want are not skinny.

My skinny friends never finish all their meals, and pick and nibble instead of cleaning their plates. I've seen them eat half a chocolate chip cookie and toss the rest, while I've gobbled mine down and have wanted four more. My skinny friends seem to be able to listen to their bodies and stop eating when they are no longer hungry.

To use the old phrase, they really do eat the live, while I absolutely love food and really live to eat, and eat, and eat.