Hummus Ideas???

Options
2»

Replies

• bosoxjenn
    bosoxjenn Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I make a low(er) calorie/fat version: a can of drained and rinsed garbanzo beans, lemon juice (I use a whole lemon, but taste as you go for flavor), about 1/4-1/2 fat free plain yogurt, 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil, salt, pepper, cumin, garlic powder. Blend it in the blender and it's very close to original hummus. I haven't input this info into the recipe box to determine calorie/fat/etc. counts, but it is definitely a lower calorie/fat alternative to hummus with the tahini being left out. Sure, the original is better, but this works!!!
  • Newkell
    Newkell Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I love hummus, reminds me of Israel. I like it on anything. try it with fajita meat and veggies in a pita pocket. It is wonderful. I try not to buy it too often because of the carb issue but it is a bit of heaven and I can't trust myself not to go too crazy. I like the Sabra brand it is very authentic
  • danie07
    danie07 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    hi, I love hummus, I have a great reciepe that everyone seems to love! Its cheap and very very easy to make.

it calls for pita bread but i found that i use india bread--naano, instead. they are pretty big so I use one for the the reciepe, if you use both then double the ingredients.

2 whole wheat pita bread (7 inch)
    1 tablesppon fat-free balsamic vinaigrette
    1 tbsp chopped fresh or 1 tsp dried basil leaves (which I use dried, it tastes just as good)
    1 large roma tomato, seeded, chopped (1/2 cup)
    1 clove garlic, fine chopped (which i just use a few shakes of garlic powder)
    1/3 cup fat-free plain hummus ( but I love hummus so I use all the different hummus, brand name sabre..it the best)
    1 tbsp shredded parmeasan cheese

1. Heat oven to 400*F. On large cookie sheet place pita breads(or whichever inda bread you use). Bake 6 to 8 mintues oe until slightly crisp.

2. In medium bowl, mix vinagrette, basil, tomato and garlic.
    3. spread half of the hummus over each pita bread. spoon tomato mixture over hummus. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
    4. Bake 5 to 6 minutes or until tomato mixture is hot. Cut each pita bread into 6 wedges.

6 servings (2 wedges each).

1 serving: Calories 60 (carolries from fat 5) sodium 110 mg, Carbo 10 g Protein 4 g.

Its a Betty crocker recipe -- the book is simple healthy recipes.
    hope you enjoy!